FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Silent Hill coming to the Wii
mdamien13
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

This was posted on April Fools Day but it has a link to Nintendo's magazine and a disclaimer insisting it's not a joke.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90636-Silent-Hill-Comes-To-Wii

Color me intrigued. Having been horribly let down by the last entry maybe a "re-imagining" is what this franchise needs. I'm curious to see what they can do on the Wii's system and whether or not the Wii controls really do enhance the gameplay or just feel gimmicky.

Hopefully this development gets us a U.S. release date for the Fatal Frame game on the Wii that Japan has been playing for a year now.
resevil80
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

It looks cool as hell, and I like how they are doing the dreamworld...Along with the Darkside Chronicles....the Wii is gonna be getting some major playtime in November.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Looks like it's been pushed back to December but I'm still very much looking forward to this.
resevil80
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

At least they aren't rushing it...would rather wait for a good game then get something thats been rushed......
mdamien13
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Picked this up yesterday morning and played a few hours of it.

First impressions are mixed (as are early reviews of this game). As far as graphics go, on the one hand these graphics are hands-down the best I've seen on the Wii, but they're too clean & glossy - my wife commented that it looked like Time Crisis or something. It's missing that gritty "feel" that Silent Hill games have had. I think the shadow effects are good, but the it all feels too clean to me.

Controls take a while to get used to but once you get the hang of them they're very fluid. I really dig the exploration of the town and the use of the Wii controls to interact with the puzzles... I just wish that there was more to explore. So far everything is incredibly linear. There's a really cool aspect where you can partially open a door to see what's on the other side before you decide whether or not to go through it, but there's been no payoff on this yet (more on that later).

So far the story is definitely intriguing and I really like the interludes at the psychaitrists office.

The biggest letdown for me so far is the fact that 1.) when you're exploring "normal" Silent Hill there is absolutely no danger. None. Scares are few and far between and are telegraphed pretty early via the Wii remote. 2.) the "nightmare" chase sequences are some of the most frustrating gameplay I've ever experienced -- and I've played Rule of Rose!

The "Nightmare" chases consist of you running for your life from creatures w/ zero variety - they're the same character design repeated over and over. The controls, while excellent for exploration, are horrible during the chases. You have to go so fast that it's easy to miss turns or doorways and then while shaking off enemies your Wii remote is now facing the wrong way making it hard to escape crowding enemies. It's consistently taken me 3+ tries at each chase to figure out the right path.

So yeah, so far it's a mixed bag. By all accounts it's a short game so I'll probably finish it up tonight and I'll try to post some final thoughts on it then.
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

You nailed it on the controls.

I have trouble getting monsters shaken off since it takes a specific motion based on how they grabbed you.

I've enjoyed it so far but I'm early into the game, I really like being able to hold the wii-mote up to you ear to listen when you make phone calls, that is creepy.

I think the camera angle does a good job of making you feel a bit disoriented and lost in the town.

Can't wait to see where it goes.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

After hours of frustration during the nightmare sequences it looks like the best thing to do is use subtle movements with the controllers to shake off enemies - never let the remote leave the field of the TV screen when you sweep to the left or right and the enemies seem to fly right off. The latest nightmare sequence was much less aggravating doing it this way.

Yeah, the phone interface is really cool and I've had fun calling up numbers on posters and stuff, but much like the rest of the game it feels like there's much more they could have done with it that they didn't. I still don't get the photographs part - maybe I'm too dense to figure it out but I never seem to realize when it's time to take a picture of a clue.

I think I'm close to the end (the Dr. just said that we're almost ready to finish it) and the story definitely has my full attention so we'll see how it ends.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:58 pm  Reply with quote

Finished up this game over the weekend and am into a second play through... I won't spoil the ending but it paid off and made me reconsider my perception of the game up to that point. The game definitely requires a second playthrough as well, and by answering the original psych profile questions differently I'm encountering much different cutscenes and character models so far.

So I would agree with the DC review for the game that it's got a lot of good stuff going for it and I appreciate the direction they've taken, but I still can't get past the fact that the game is not scary at all, the nightmare sequences are incredibly frustrating to control and navigate, the levels are too linear, and several times I've had to stop playing out of sheer boredom. Definitely a mixed bag, but I applaud the innovation if nothing else.

On a side note, I remember reading an article on IGN a while back about a survival horror game for the Wii that never ended up happening... it took place during a snowstorm, used the Wii controller as a flashlight, and used the Wii remote to interact with puzzles. I'm trying to find an article in the archives but I'm starting to think that, much like SH4, this game may have been developed as a different title and then had the Silent Hill name tacked onto it. Would make sense, since this game has nothing to do with the "canon" of the Silent Hill universe but has a very good story on its own and may have been better approached with different expectations had it not been called Silent Hill.

EDITED TO ADD - I found the game I'm talking about - it was going to be called "Winter". Story here http://wii.ign.com/articles/946/946492p1.html

Interesting read for sure, and there are some shared elements in Silent Hill: SM & Winter but there's a lot different between the two as well. The thing I remembered from the Winter article was that they wanted you to be able to partially open a door and look through it, and Silent Hill: SM does this but it never pays off by having a creature on the other side or anything like that so it felt like one of many missed opportunities in the game.