FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Broken Helix (1997) PS1
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone remember the game Broken Helix for the Playstation?

I rented it because it said Bruce Campbell did the voice for the good guy.

This was one of those early PS games where they still didn't have everything down just right yet, but it was still fun, if not insanely challenging.

Here is the description from gamefaqs:

Bruce Campbell is the voice of the main character Jake Burton, explosives expert. Talk to characters and choose your attitude with over 95 minutes of interactive voice dialog. Explore over 1,600,000 virtual square feet in an interactive 4D world. Go where you want when you want with non-linear story themes. Become the leader of a marine platoon, join the scientists in struggle of good vs. evil, become an alien warrior, or follow mission objectives. 56 movies and 40 minutes of interactive music enhance the in-depth story line

A group of bad guys take over a technology building, and you have to go in and stop them.

The games concept is that it was in "4-D", meaning once the game started, everything that was going to happen would happen, but not by being triggered by you, the player. The games had 4 different endings, and your objectives had to be completed before certain things happened in the game. If I am not mistaken, at one point you have the option to joing the bad guys, and help them carry out the plan.

The graphics were a little crude, and the controls were not as responsive as they could be, but all in all I enjoyed it due to Bruce Campbell.

The biggest challenge was, until you encountered specific situations, you wouldn't know what to do, and since the game is moving forward with or without you, that sometimes put really tough time limits on how you had to get things done.

It's worth a try for those of you who missed out on it, and I'm really surprised that this formula hasn't been used again now that the technology has caught up with the concept.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:36 am  Reply with quote

Ah Broken Helix, how you tormented me so. Your fugly graphics, confusing gameplay and wonky control left me crying at the end of the day. But alas, I still came back. What was Bruce going to say next? What were your other endings like? I had to find out. To this day I have a love/hate thing going for you.

Someone should try this approach again, now that we have the technology.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

I'm getting this. Thanks, never heard of it before.
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Be prepared to be frustrated, especially now that we see how well made games can be, this does fall into the 'so bad it's good' area. Smile

Frank's review nailed it.

Still worth a try, and you can get un-opened copies fairly cheap online too.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

well, i'm not exactly into the buying ps1 games currently.

I'm in it for campbell:D

I'm currently playing through parasite eve and an amazing mod of resident evil that puts back in the parts cut out that were deemed too graphic even for the directors cut.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

arandomthought wrote:
I'm currently playing through...an amazing mod of resident evil that puts back in the parts cut out that were deemed too graphic even for the directors cut.

Could you provide any more info on this? I would love to check it out.
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

MethRattle wrote:
arandomthought wrote:
I'm currently playing through...an amazing mod of resident evil that puts back in the parts cut out that were deemed too graphic even for the directors cut.

Could you provide any more info on this? I would love to check it out.

Same here.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:14 pm  Reply with quote

pms are being sent.

This is a modified uncensored version of Resident Evil: Directors Cut, The way that this game was modified was protrayed on what capcom probably would have released before Censoring the final version of resident evil.

This is the answer for many questions about the version of the game. This is the fully uncuted Resident Evil: Director's Cut (Dual Shock ver.) for PSX. It means that it operates PSX dual shock controller functions, has everything that Director's Cut ver. and - most important - the movie sequences are all uncutted, so for example the intro movie is fully collored and have all drastic scenes.