FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> Organizing music
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Something needs to change. I sit in my music listening alcove surrounded by stacks of CD's and box sets. They surround me. I also have a ton of CD's I can't fit up here that are sitting in boxes. I've been dying to listen to some Beethoven, Bach, Mozart or Dvorak or something to relax to and clear my head but they are buried somewhere.

I think it's time to ditch the jewel cases and put them all in books. I don't like the idea of it but I think it would be much more economical and I'll finally have access to all my music and not just a quarter of it.

Has anyone else ditched cases?
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

I ditched cds(I still buy what I can) and mp3 everything. I still have my cds organized in case form by genre, then artist.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

I will never go MP3 so that's out of the question. Vinyl and CD's will always be made.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:54 am  Reply with quote

I can't get rid of cases. I'll stack them floor-to-ceiling (in alphabetical order, of course) before I'll get rid of the cases. Maybe it's just my obsessive nature, though. I recently found out that half of my vinyl LP collection (which survived Katrina) got soaked from a rainstorm that got into the garage, and I'm still trying to dry them out and save what I can. It's looking like a lost cause, but it's hard for me to accept my albums going without cases.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:22 am  Reply with quote

I've not only gotten rid of all of my CD cases, but also all of my DVD cases (though I keep box sets in the boxes on my shelf for some reason).

I actually ended up going MP3 for the most part, though it took a while for me to warm up to it. MP3 sounds worse than CDs, since it's a compressed format, but it doesn't really matter all that much, unless you have some higher end speakers, and considering I just tend to use my laptop speakers, it doesn't really matter. MP3s are just far too convenient, especially on the go.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:15 am  Reply with quote

If you're not willing to go mp3, go FLAC. It's lossless.
X-Count
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

arandomthought wrote:
If you're not willing to go mp3, go FLAC. It's lossless.

I agree! 320k MP3s are the highest MP3 and the best sounding MP3 you can get but if you want CD exact copies, go for FLAC. I stopped CDs years ago but I will buy one if it's an album I really love. Only then will I get the CD.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

I just can't go digital but I guess it's time to get rid of the jewel cases. Parting is such sweet sorrow.