FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Demon's Souls
MethRattle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

True. It is not a hack'n'slash game by any means. Nor is it a game to run in. 90% of the bloodstains I touch (in order to see another player's death) involve someone running off the edge of a cliff or running straight into an ambush. Even in the final levels, where you'd think players would have figured out not to do that.

It's not actually a slow-paced game, either. Once you find the right strategy, you sometimes NEED to take out a group of enemies with quick action. You just have to spend some time finding the proper strategy. Long-range attacks are also prudent - I never leave the Nexus without my bow and spear.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:43 am  Reply with quote

lol, you get a bloodstain where a group has been torn down by a dragon yet?
MethRattle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Oh yeah.

When played in persistent-online mode you see bloodstains EVERYWHERE. When you die, you leave a bloodstain for someone else to touch and watch. It's good way to learn what's ahead of you. If you see a cramped dark hallway or rickety staircase on the edge of a precipice, it's a guaranteed bet that there's a bloodstain halfway along which will show you another player getting ambushed, squashed by a trap, or knocked into an abyss. You only see the character, not what killed them, but you get an idea where the danger came from and what form the death took (impact, stabbing/slashing, crushing, etc).

There are also notes from other players on the floors everywhere. These are simple sentences and phrases taken from a rather extensive list of terms and words that you can leave in order to notify others of danger, treasure, hidden places, traps, the correct path to take, etc. Some people like to trick others into their deaths wilh false hints. You can recommend the messages, too, which heals the author.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

This game sounds totally badass Meth but does it have to be played online?
MethRattle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

No, it can be played offline, but you lose a huge part of the game's coolness when you play it 'alone'. No bloodstains, no messages/hints, no helpful blue phantom when you can't get past a boss on your own. What I think makes the online mode so cool is that when you see other players' "ghosts" running around as they play their game, it gives you a feeling of shared experience, even though you can't communicate. It's totally unique and WAY better than the standard FPS/shooter multiplayer experience.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

That's what it sounded like. Bummer, damn this house!
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Now I really need a ps3...
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

THe PS3 is a serious piece of hardware and is dirt cheap now.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

not when I have trouble buying $10 dollar games...

I really can't wait to get one, and get this.

Is there a way to actually play with a party of friends?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I feel your pain. It's cheap relatively speaking I guess. So superior to the XBox it isn't even funny.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

arandomthought wrote:
Is there a way to actually play with a party of friends?

Not in the way you're thinking. However, if one person plays in revived form (i.e. living), they are able to summon up to 2 blue phantoms (players in soul form) to assist them through the areas between bosses. It would involve some outside-the-game coordinating in order to meet up in a given spot so that the revived player can summon the other two. You can't communicate with each other inside the game save for some generic actions like bowing to each other or cheering, but determined players could talk through a computer messenger link-up or celphone headsets or something. The game really isn't designed for long-term co-operative play, though.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:24 am  Reply with quote

damn, well, It sounds worth the effort though.