FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Demon's Souls
MethRattle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

HARD game! But a godsend for you obsessive/compulsives. Everyone else will hate this game. It's like an old-school 8-bit Nintendo game where if you screw up and die you go all the way back to the beginning and start again, with all your defeated enemies returned to life to be defeated again. But I'm totally loving it! It's not that the game is hard because it's cheap, it's hard because you're too impatient, because you didn't think ahead, because you got cocky. It clings as tightly to realism as it can, which means that you will probably die because you personally don't know the proper way to sword-fight skeletons or dragons yet. Once you figure out the right strategy, you'll win. I'm also unaccustomed to grinding the way I am in this game. It's been a long time since a RPG made me put in the time to actually EARN a boss fight. The online component is cool and unique, too, with hints left for each other and bloodstains that let you replay someone else's final moment before their death (which can help you).
MethRattle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:20 am  Reply with quote

Finished the game, and it was a blast. No game makes you appreciate your successes more than this game does. You don't finish this game because you're good at playing games, or good at RPGs, or good at action games...you finish it because this game made you and your gaming skill good enough to finish it. "Demon's Souls" truly makes you a better gamer. I don't mean that in the general 'more experienced' way that every other game makes you better. I mean in the way where you look at other games, and the way you play them, differently and from a fresh perspective. No small feat for a game no one else is playing.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

You bastard. I got to get a PS3 someday...
mdamien13
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

I just picked this up and I'm about three levels in... WOW! It definitely makes me remember life before things like save points. I haven't had a level of satisfaction like I have in finally defeating an end-level boss in this game.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

I need this. I've wanted this for a long time. There is a save feature right?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

The Balrog is the ultimate demon.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

arandomthought wrote:
I need this. I've wanted this for a long time. There is a save feature right?

Yeah, the game saves automatically and you can manually save throughout the levels.

Another word of warning - there is no true "pause" feature. I made a newbie error and hit the start button so I could peek at a strategy guide on my laptop before a big fight without realizing that all this did was bring up an inventory screen and then some low-level demon ran over and killed me while I was looking away. If you're gonna look away or get a drink or something make sure you've cleared the surrounding areas first!
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

Oh, wow...that's just mean.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

It's not mean. mdamien just made a careless mistake, which I'm guessing wasn't repeated. I did the same thing when I first started. The game gives you a hint by allowing you to still run around with the menu pulled up, even though you can't perform any combat actions (because, duh, you're interacting with a menu).

You learn to take nothing for granted in "Demon's Souls". I have an example somewhere...
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Here's a post I made on another board during my progress in the game...

Okay, got my stats & weapons boosted up and refilled my healing items & arrows after killing a Boss, and heading into the next level. Hmm, there's a little rat...enemy or atmosphere? *bite* Enemy! Taste my blade, vermin! #kill# Didn't hardly cause me any damage at all but infected me with disease. Very slow health drain. #heal# No problem. Hmm...more rats. This'll just take a minute...#kill# #kill# *bite* Infected again, but it'll wait...*bite* Maybe I should switch to firebombs... *bite* *bite* More rats than I thought... *bite* *bite* *bite* Better go ahead and heal... *bite* *bite* *bite* *bite* Not enough time!... *bite* bite* *bite* *bite* *bite* ...YOU DIED...

COME ON! NO WAY! HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?!

Because, for one minute, I took the game for granted. That's how.

You are NEVER too powerful to die a thoughtless death.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

lmao, Is this out for 360?

That sounds awesome. I bet you got a good laugh out of it.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

"Demon's Souls" is a PS3 exclusive, I'm afraid.

And when it first happened, I was supremely pissed that a handful of rats had killed my powered-up character. Then, after cooling down and realizing that I was the one who had killed my level-50 character by being cocky and assuming that rats couldn't touch me, I decided it made a good parable for describing the game. It is a fact that the very first enemies you face in the game, bottom-rung ghouls, are very easily killed once you get to higher levels, but if you present them your unguarded back then they are still able to kill your ultra-armored walking tank with the same one-hit-kill backstab move that you yourself use continually throughout the game.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

But is there a Balrog in the game?
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

There is a fire demon, but I wouldn't classify it as a Balrog. I'm guessing there are copyright concerns in the land of Boletaria over it.

The fire demon does kick my ass, though...my leather-armored thief has never beaten it solo, I've always had to have help from another player to beat it (I'm almost halfway through my second playthrough).
mdamien13
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

MethRattle wrote:
It's not mean. mdamien just made a careless mistake, which I'm guessing wasn't repeated. I did the same thing when I first started. The game gives you a hint by allowing you to still run around with the menu pulled up, even though you can't perform any combat actions (because, duh, you're interacting with a menu).

You learn to take nothing for granted in "Demon's Souls". I have an example somewhere...

I'm afraid that I'm still prone to careless mistakes in this game. It seems that Demon's Souls has plenty of lessons to teach a relatively casual gamer such as myself, but that's one of the coolest things about this game. You'd think I'd have learned that you can't just run into battle mashing R1 as fast as you can and expect to win, but learning to be cautious and patient with enemies and slowly navigate levels makes the eventual conquest of them all the more enjoyable.