FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> I Love You, Man
Lantern Man
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:43 am  Reply with quote

Location: an hour south of Tampa... just follow the "old man" smell.

I finally saw this. I was fairly underwhelmed by it. I think part of the reason is that I have a hard time empathizing with people who seem to have it better than myself. The nice houses, expensive wedding, and cool jobs really turned me off.

Probably the most interesting thing about this movie is that it's a bubble out of time: the main character, Peter Klaven (played by Paul Rudd) is a real-estate agent in L.A. -- and he's doing fine. Despite this movie coming out in '09, there's no mention of the housing implosion.

Housing started to crash in '06. It took three years to make this movie? Also, Peter's new best friend, Sydney (Jason Segal) is some sort of investment guru. I wonder how that's working out now? I imagine a lot of real-life Sydneys are unemployed now.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Lantern Man wrote:
I finally saw this. I was fairly underwhelmed by it. I think part of the reason is that I have a hard time empathizing with people who seem to have it better than myself. The nice houses, expensive wedding, and cool jobs really turned me off.

Wow.
Lantern Man
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

Location: an hour south of Tampa... just follow the "old man" smell.

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Lantern Man wrote:

Wow.

What? Don't you at least find it a bit jarring, when movie characters have overly-nice things? or when they have an almost-unlimited amount of free time to devote to the plot? I find this to be such a near-formula by now that these things yank me right out of the movie.
Nobodaddy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

Location: Munyeca. Yo te ciaro. Yo te ciaro Ohio. Muy bonito.

Lantern Man wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Lantern Man wrote:

Wow.

What? Don't you at least find it a bit jarring, when movie characters have overly-nice things? or when they have an almost-unlimited amount of free time to devote to the plot? I find this to be such a near-formula by now that these things yank me right out of the movie.

Character backgrounds are only considered an issue around here when they're "white trash". It's then that they become overly used and stereotypical. Rich white folk get a pass.
dmihatmttl
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

Lantern Man wrote:

Ya know, you do have a point. For some reason I always think about stuff like this a lot when I'm watching a movie (especially one that's not grabbing me enough so that I'm lost in the story and *don't* over-analyze such things): "OK, what does this person do for a living that allows them all this free time to pursue the mystery? Shouldn't their kids be in school? Doesn't look like summer outside."

I also have this weird thing about wondering what happened *after* the story. Like, after the supernatural horror has been destroyed, sent back to its dimension or whatever, and there are bodies lying around, destruction everywhere . . . how do the surviving protagonists explain what happened to the cops without ending up in a rubber room? Smile

J.N.