FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Stephen King's 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes'
Grimmaldi
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:51 am  Reply with quote

Just for reference in the short story the Lovecraftian names were included .

I really despise the acting in that story now as it could've been a great episode. They werent able to build any kind of feeling of tension or panic without looking like retarts doing so. If they were gonna spin it at all why not have a couple that despised each other, as these 2 had zero chemistry already. Was still glad to see it come to screen as I loved the story but man they struck out on this one.
birdie
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

Umney seemed really incomplete to me. It just stopped, like it was part one of a 2 parter. Macey was his usual greatness, but I have to agree that the wife's suicide seemed out of place.

I don't remember the story that well, but the author just didn't come across as villainous enough, the whole tone of the thing seemed off.
Splatman
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:13 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

So far, the only one that I really liked was "Battleground". All the others either stunk on ice or felt incomplete. I keep thinking that I am missing something with most of the endings, because they just seem to stop so abruptly.

www.lonewolffx.com
dead postman
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

Road Virus: I liked parts of it (we get a beheading! albeit off-camera) but quite frankly my girlfriend wouldn't stop her yapping during the entire episode so I missed a lot and was confused by the ending, where Berenger decides to go outside with the guy in the car. I need to re-watch.

Fifth Quarter: I dug this one, for the most part. I like Sysko (sp?) and Mathis and thought they did a good job. The ending felt a little anticlimatic, and Mathis' discovery of the meaning of the map on a ceral box felt like a bit of a deus ex machina, but at least she got some cash for all of sysko's efforts. I'd give it a B-
Samhain
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:53 pm  Reply with quote
Glory Hole

Didn't like 'Road Virus', but really enjoyed 'The Fifth Quarter'.

So far.....3 for 3.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

The Road Virus Heads North:

Can anyone tell me what the fuck this episode was about? I didn't even understand the ending. An explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Fifth Quarter:

Not entirely horror or thriller, but I enjoyed the episode, and the ending was really sweet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
David
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:01 am  Reply with quote

I liked The Road Virus Heads North quite a bit. Filardi made a few interesting additions to pad the story out to an hour length, and it had several creepy moments.

I've enjoyed all of the episodes so far except for the dreadful Crouch End. I've been rereading the stories right before the episodes air and I've liked most of the choices made by the writers.

I do agree with Horror Chic about the ending of The Fifth Quarter. It was a decent and serious crime story but it turned absolutely laughable in its final moments. We're supposed to believe that someone would hide millions of dollars and make a map based on a cereal box? It wasn't the best hiding place either. Even the most decrepit amusement park would have someone tidy up the ride once in a while over the next few years. That ending was a howler.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:19 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Thanks, David... glad it wasn't just me in thinking the whole Pirates of the Caribbean... oops I mean Buccaneers of the Caribbean Adventure Ride thing. It was so goofy.

So far, the only one I really loved was The End of the Whole Mess... and I only really hated Umney's Last Case. Crouch End was bad, but Umney's was just a greater fall for me. Although, I re-read Crouch End after the episode, and actually liked it a little better. If they'd stuck closer, it would have at least been decent. But Umney's was just very poorly written.

My predictions for next week: Autopsy Room 4 will be eh... maybe okay at best. I just don't think it's the best story to adapt to the screen. And You Know They've Got a Hall of a Band will get butchered... just because I like the story so much. Laughing

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

Splatman wrote:
So far, the only one that I really liked was "Battleground". All the others either stunk on ice or felt incomplete.

Same here. And is it just me or did they pick the stories with the least "horror" elements for this show? There's so much crime/drama stuff here you wouldn't think this was based on the stories of someone who's usually considered a horror writer.

Which reminds me of how I once showed my mom the NEEDFUL THINGS movie and she was like "Are you sure this is a Stephen King movie?!?" There was a lot of media hysteria at the time about King's writings triggering real life murders and she must have thought King's books are like the Marquis de Sade's stuff. Of course she never read either ... Rolling Eyes
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:51 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Caterpillar wrote:
And is it just me or did they pick the stories with the least "horror" elements for this show? There's so much crime/drama stuff here you wouldn't think this was based on the stories of someone who's usually considered a horror writer.

Which reminds me of how I once showed my mom the NEEDFUL THINGS movie and she was like "Are you sure this is a Stephen King movie?!?" There was a lot of media hysteria at the time about King's writings triggering real life murders and she must have thought King's books are like the Marquis de Sade's stuff. Of course she never read either ... Rolling Eyes

Well, the thing is, though the perception of King is that he always writes these real supernatural, blood and guts kind of things, a lot of his short stories are a great deal more subtle than that - which people have not been very adept at translating to the screen, unfortunetly.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

Horror Chic wrote:
Well, the thing is, though the perception of King is that he always writes these real supernatural, blood and guts kind of things, a lot of his short stories are a great deal more subtle than that - which people have not been very adept at translating to the screen, unfortunetly.

I don't think his books are so much in the "blood and guts" subgenre of extreme horror either. I have always seen King as a guy who can write really great characters and write quite engagingly about ordinary, every day life and melodrama. The main reason why he is considered a horror writer is because he usually brings in some supernatural disruption of the previous small town going ons. Take TOMMYKNOCKERS for example. Nothing overtly supernatural happens until the last 80 or so pages of the book. And it's a huge book. Not his biggest but still loooooong. NEEDFUL THINGS (the book) is similar to that. THE DEAD ZONE (book) bored the hell out of me when I was 13 but I appreciate it a lot more these days. In short, I think King's books are more about how a supernatural threat affects, changes or destroys the ordinary and less about the supernatural threat itself. The monster, so to speak, is a means to an end in many of his stories.

I actually think it's his short stories that are more typically horror simply because he has to get to the point within 30 or so pages. I stopped reading King after INSOMNIA so I never got to his latest short story collection but I remember both NIGHT SHIFT and SKELETON CREW to be full of "real" horror stories.
Samhain
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:24 am  Reply with quote
Glory Hole

'Autopsy' was stretched waaaaaaaaaay to thin to fill the time slot. 'Hell Of A Band' was pretty entertaining tho.
Bambi
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

Eh, Autopsy was okay. Gave me something to do for an hour. After watching the woman's dream from Hell of a Band I switched over to Project Runway.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

Autopsy was okay in its own twisted demented way.

Hell of a Band was pretty damn stupid. And it made zero sense. Were they in hell, limbo, her husband's own demented fantasy or what? Were these people evil? Or did they REALLY want them to stay? What was the deal with the vision Delany had about she and him being old people, and what about the fantasy of she finding the finger on the jukebox with the young man taunting her? I thought it was a dumb episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Samhain
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:22 pm  Reply with quote
Glory Hole

I'm really hoping this doesn't get picked up as a regular series.
By the 3rd week, I was forcing myself to watch it.