FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Firefly/Serenity
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:01 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

resevil80 wrote:
Battlestar Galactica....another show I need to watch..only caught a few episodes but liked it....I just can't sit down everyweek at the same time and watch a show anymore..


That's what glorious DVR is for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:03 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

You're a real cocksucker. It doesn't make them wrong, it means they have their own opinion which they are entitled to. There's just no penetrating that mass of bone you call a skull to get it into your pea sized brain for you to comprehend this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:11 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Floydian Trip wrote:
You're a real cocksucker. It doesn't make them wrong, it means they have their own opinion which they are entitled to.


You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is, and I'm entitled to mine. You really have a hard time accepting that don't you?

I know for a FACT that if someone said "N*Sync is better than (insert whatever it is you call music here)" you would call them out. Stop pretending you take some high road.

Quote:
There's just no penetrating that mass of bone you call a skull to get it into your pea sized brain for you to comprehend this.


"It's like meeting the man of your dreams, and then meeting his beautiful wife"....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:18 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

It's not just me I'm refering to asshole it's every member of this message board. They are all entitled to their opinion and are not wrong for having it.

Why don't you cut the shit and tell me what it is about Firefly that makes it not great in your opinion. You keep calling it good. Lots of things are good and average.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:10 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Floydian Trip wrote:
It's not just me I'm refering to asshole it's every member of this message board. They are all entitled to their opinion and are not wrong for having it.


It wasn't you I was referring you, asshole. Everyone is entitled to they're opinion, I'm entitled to think it's wrong.


Quote:
Why don't you cut the shit and tell me what it is about Firefly that makes it not great in your opinion. You keep calling it good. Lots of things are good and average.


First of all, I've seen all of Whedon's TV and movie work, I've read his comic books and such, so I know what he's done and what qualifies as great. What makes these works great is Whedon's ability to subvert expectations on a regular basis and yet have it feel earned and organic. Am I right in assuming that you thought "What the fuck"? when River peeked out from behind cover and then shot all three threats instantly? Well those little nuggets are spread all through out his work, especially on Buffy and Angel.

But beyond that he draws truly realistic human characters despite their existence in fantastic worlds. He brings them to the depths of sorrow, pity, empathy to the highs of the little moments of grandeur and happiness and it's all earned and organic and these characters evolve and grow like real people do. For example. Willow on Buffy is in love with Xander for years. In those years that Willow harbors these feelings moves on, gets in a loving relationship with Oz. She finds out that Xander has sex with someone and there is a brief shot of her crying her eyes out about it in privacy. It's a gloriously human and realistic moment that gives the show that texture of greatness. It's not just the big moments, it's the little ones too that shape the show and the characters.

Why I don't think Firefly reaches this level is because it never got a chance too. It started to toward the end when you see Inara react to Mal having slept with Mandy Clarke's character. There are touches of it in Serenity. But as a whole because of what I've come to expect from Whedon, Firefly doesn't get a chance to really give you those moments because of it's brief run. Whedon likes to draw the viewer in slowly and have them get to know the characters so those little moments are actually big moments that shape the characters. He didn't get a chance to fully explore what he's capable of with Firefly. So while the show is very good, it's not great by Whedon standards at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:58 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 2039

Floydian Trip wrote:
I think Firefly is the best show ever made for tv.

Holy shit that's funny!

I guess you never saw The Rockford Files.

Or Columbo.
Or Rawhide.
Or Alfred Hitchcock Presents.
Or The Addams Family.
Or Perry Mason.
Or Law & Order.
Or The Jackie Gleason Show.
Or Your Show Of Shows.
Or Get Smart.
Or The Night Stalker.
Or Combat.
Or Mission Impossible.
Or I Spy.
Or Bewitched.
Or The Burns and Allen Show.
Or The Monkees.
Or Man From UNCLE.
Or Family.
Or Thirtysomething.
Or Moonlighting.
Or The Rifleman.
Or Maverick.
Or Dark Shadows.
Or The Ed Sullivan Show.
Or The Fugitive.
Or Wanted Dead Or Alive.
Or Hoganís Heroes.
Or Hawaii Five-O
Or The Streets Of San Francisco.
Or The Invaders.
Or Have Gun Will Travel.
Or Bonanza.
Or Picket Fences.
Or LA Law.
Or Wagon Train.
Or The Lone Ranger.
Or Superman.
Or Batman.
Or Saturday Night Live.
Or The Outer Limits.
Or Doctor Who.
Or CSI.
Or The X Files.
Or Ironside.
Or Millenium.
Or The Jeffersons.
Or Maude.
Or SWAT.
Or The Equalizer.
Or Soap.
Or Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.
Or Fernwood Tonight.
Or China Beach.
Or Ba Ba Blacksheep.
Or 60 Minutes.
Or The Mod Squad.
Or Laugh In.
Or 30 Rock.
Or Little House on the Prairie.
Or Lost.

Or about a hundred other shows that I can keep naming off the top of my head.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:58 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Franco you can stop wasting your time now. It'd be much easier and faster for you to just come out and say you don't like Firefly which wouldn't hurt my feelings but really Rockford Files, Little House on the Prairie, Bonanza, please.

Anyway, I agree with the point your making DSIC and Firefly is full of moments like that. I think Whedon was able to accomplish with Firefly in such a short amount of time what most can't do in 8 or 9 seasons of drivel.

I wish it had gone on longer. I was shocked when it ended but then when I heard he was making Serenity I felt if enough people went to see it that they'd bring the show back but then I watched Serenity and realized Whedon had no intentions of doing that and that the movie was closure which was a sad realization for me.

I think the biggest loose end for me was wanting to see what would happen with the relationship between Mal and Inara. They truly loved eachother.

I also loved the dynamic between Mal, Zoe and Wash which comes to a head in War Stories and makes it my absolute favorite episode.

I could go on and on bringing up both touching and hysterical moments from the show because it had so many. Jane is a riot.

River is a badass. I think she's such an ultimate badass because she's so tiny and frail and unassuming but when she gets turned on she's unstoppable. What she did to those Reavers single handedly made me jump out of my seat and cheer. "My turn"

This show has so much going for it and even now as I'm watching for the umpteenth time, I've watched it so many times I can't even begin to guess how many at this point, it never gets old and I always spot new miniscule things about it.

Say what you will about the fact that I hold this show in higher regard than any other but I just think everything about it is brilliant.

I may have concluded that Battlestar was the best show ever and for a good long time I was feeling that way but they let me down and made me lose interest for awhile but they did manage to get back on track to finish it up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:08 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Book was also an incredibly interesting character to me that now I can only speculate about. Was he some kind of high level government assassin or something?

The character of Book always makes me think of Eastwood's Preacher character in A Pale Rider. Maybe some influence there?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:15 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Floydian Trip wrote:

River is a badass. I think she's such an ultimate badass because she's so tiny and frail and unassuming but when she gets turned on she's unstoppable. What she did to those Reavers single handedly made me jump out of my seat and cheer. "My turn"


This is the whole conceit of the show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Which was cool in Serenity but kind of disappointing since he'd based a movie and a much better show around the same idea over a decade earlier.
Quote:
Say what you will about the fact that I hold this show in higher regard than any other but I just think everything about it is brilliant.


Like I said, I like the show a lot. But you're doing yourself a disservice by not watching Buffy and Angel. Even if you don't like them as much, they're still great shows and worth experiencing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:28 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 2039

Floydian Trip wrote:
Franco you can stop wasting your time now. It'd be much easier and faster for you to just come out and say you don't like Firefly which wouldn't hurt my feelings but really Rockford Files, Little House on the Prairie, Bonanza, please.

The point is that the history of television dates back well over 70+ years. During that time there have been dozens upon dozens of programs that left a mark on the medium for a reason. There have been dozens upon dozens of programs that were culturally significant, not just full of hot chicks doing cool looking martial arts while characters spout a few witty quips and shoot lazer-guns at each other. I'm talking about shows that have stood the test of time. I'm talking about shows that changed the way people look at television, at storytelling, at the world in general. All In The Family, for instance is a show that deeply challenged people. It spoke, humorously, about serious issues, about real truths, about real people living real lives, not just space ships and cool chicks doing kung-fu moves. I have no problem with Firefly. It's fine for what it is. But to call it the "best show ever made for tv" is just plain silly. Call it what it is, your favorite show. No one can dispute that. But it's simply not the best show ever made for TV. No one involved in the show itself would be ignorant enough to call it that. Only someone with little or no understanding of actual history would call it that. Only someone deeply short-sighted would consider it the best show ever made for TV. It's just not. Not even close. It's an entertaining sci-fi show. There have been countless other shows throughout the past 70+ years that have been not only entertaining, but seriously groundbreaking. I'm talking about game-changing programs that touched the lives of millions upon millions of people for decades, for generations. Firefly isn't even on that list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:30 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Maybe you're not understanding that the premise of Buffy doesn't do anything for me. I've seen more than a couple episodes because it was on for so long and there just was never a moment in any of the episodes I saw that made me want to watch it more.

Now I will continue with Firefly. No more Buffy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:43 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Ultimo Franco wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
Franco you can stop wasting your time now. It'd be much easier and faster for you to just come out and say you don't like Firefly which wouldn't hurt my feelings but really Rockford Files, Little House on the Prairie, Bonanza, please.

The point is that the history of television dates back well over 70+ years. During that time there have been dozens upon dozens of programs that left a mark on the medium for a reason. There have been dozens upon dozens of programs that were culturally significant, not just full of hot chicks doing cool looking martial arts while characters spout a few witty quips and shoot lazer-guns at each other. I'm talking about shows that have stood the test of time. I'm talking about shows that changed the way people look at television, at storytelling, at the world in general. All In The Family, for instance is a show that deeply challenged people. It spoke, humorously, about serious issues, about real truths, about real people living real lives, not just space ships and cool chicks doing kung-fu moves. I have no problem with Firefly. It's fine for what it is. But to call it the "best show ever made for tv" is just plain silly. Call it what it is, your favorite show. No one can dispute that. But it's simply not the best show ever made for TV. No one involved in the show itself would be ignorant enough to call it that. Only someone with little or no understanding of actual history would call it that. Only someone deeply short-sighted would consider it the best show ever made for TV. It's just not. Not even close. It's an entertaining sci-fi show. There have been countless other shows throughout the past 70+ years that have been not only entertaining, but seriously groundbreaking. I'm talking about game-changing programs that touched the lives of millions upon millions of people for decades, for generations. Firefly isn't even on that list.


Firefly isn't about cool chicks doing kung foo and they don't have lazer guns. Firefly is one of a kind and I gaurantee people will still be talking about 10 or 20 years from now even though it's no doubt the shortest show in existance. You can't say what kind of an impact it would have had on culture since it got canceled so quickly but the show did get mighty popular after its demise. Why no one watched it when it was on the air I don't get.

Anyway, I don't care if you're just a guy on the internet or you have a doctorate in film and television or whatever and are considered an expert. Its always just another opinion. And all of those shows you brought up. I wouldn't watch a single one of them at this point in my life. I never experienced anything life altering while watching TV and I don't expect to ever unless the Bears can somehow manage to win the Super Bowl and the Cubs win the World Series. Maybe you're a big TV guy and that's fine I am not. The only time my TV gets turned on is when I'm watching a movie or playing a game or in the offchance that I get wind of a really good show which is rare to say the least.

I think you guys take this shit way too fuckin seriously. All I wanted to do was have some fun while watching Firefly but I think all the potential fun this thread could have been got sucked out many posts ago.

Oh well, such is life on the Dread Central message boards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:48 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 2039

Floydian Trip wrote:
I think you guys take this shit way too fuckin seriously.

Holy shit that's funny!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:15 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Floydian Trip wrote:
Maybe you're not understanding that the premise of Buffy doesn't do anything for me. I've seen more than a couple episodes because it was on for so long and there just was never a moment in any of the episodes I saw that made me want to watch it more.

Now I will continue with Firefly. No more Buffy.


I understand that the premise does nothing for you. I don't like cop shows yet I fell in love with The Shield. This can only happen because I was willing to try something new. Why did I watch The Shield? Because it was created by a writer from Angel.

Your problem is, and it IS a problem, is that you're incredibly narrow-minded. You're so set in your stubborn ways that you refuse the experience anything that doesn't fit into your ideal little mold. I can't fathom that anyone as old as you are and as interested as you claim to be in these art forms wouldn't want to absorb as much quality entertainment as possible. Again, it's your loss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:19 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Floydian Trip wrote:

I think you guys take this shit way too fuckin seriously. All I wanted to do was have some fun while watching Firefly but I think all the potential fun this thread could have been got sucked out many posts ago.

Oh well, such is life on the Dread Central message boards.


So you would rather have lifeless conversation that consists of "I think Inara is hot!", "River kicks ASS!", and "Mal is too funny" than have a serious discussion of the artists behind the show, their roots and how they contributed to the success of the show as far as quality is concerned?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> The Terror Tube

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum