FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Firefly/Serenity
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:41 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Not even close. But nice try.

Now I know this sounds crazy but what I like are civil discussions about things. Look at your condescending attitude you gave me because I don't like Buffy. Who's the child?

It only sounds like I'm talking down to you because you're looking up from your inferiority complex.

Quote:
I don't care if people agree with me or not. It doesn't bother me. I watch Firefly and Serenity over again about every 2 months or sooner if I get the itch. I love it. And I have never seen a better show ever and that's with me absolutely falling in love with Battlestar Galactica.

Now if Jesus Christ himself came down and annointed Buffy the best show ever, well then I'd probably have to take his word for it. If a bunch of people on the internet say Buffy is the best then I couldn't really care less. Firefly is it for me sorry you have such a problem with that.

I have an idea though that will settle it. You live on the West Coast right? I live in Chicago so you gather up as many people as you can that think Buffy is the best and I'll do the same here with Firefly then we'll meet in the middle and have an allout brawl and whichever show the last man standing represents well then that'll be the greatest show ever made. Laughing

I love discussing things with people who have different opinions but not if they're trolls.
'

You act like I don't enjoy Firefly or Serenity. I love them both. Serenity is one of my favourite movies of all-time. I can talk about how much I love both. But you don't want a discussion at all. A discussion, for it to be fruitful or even just worthwhile, requires all parties to have either be open to someone else's ideas or have enough knowledge to bring to it.

I didn't troll you at all. I said Buffy and Angel were better. You immediately put up your concrete wall of stubborn ignorance and said you have no interest in either. Where's the discussion? Unlike you, if I'm a fan of a writer or director, I try to see as much of his/her/their product as possible to understand where they're coming from. You have no interest in expanding your horizons. You just stand there with your arms folded and get bent when people disagree.

I may make fun of people for disagreeing but anyone who knows me knows I'm not serious. But I am completely open to experiencing new things, people, and especially entertainment. You stand there with your arms folded, hiding behind your ignorance and continue to be stubbornly close-minded.

When you're ready for an actual discussion, get back to me. Until then you can enjoy being the only person in this thread until you gather your like-minded individuals so you can all share the same views. Wow, what an engaging discussion that will be.

Last edited by Didn't See It Coming on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:42 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
the most uber badass chick ever in a TV show River

Says the guy that's never watched Buffy. Man, you just have no clue.
Dr. Mirakle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

I've tried to stay out of these "discussions", but just can't this time.

I agree with pretty much everything DSIC has said in this thread. As much as I like Firefly, Buffy and Angel (let alone most of Ultimo Franco's list) are better shows. And this isn't just the opinion of two people; as he said, most people will agree. Oh, but you don't care if you're the only person who doesn't like it. That's nice and all, but saying things like "Buffy is at the opposite end of the spectrum from Firefly" when you haven't watched more than "a few" episodes shows how poorly informed your opinion is.

And River is "the most uber badass chick ever in a TV show"? As DSIC pointed out, that's just foolish coming from someone who hasn't watched Buffy. Evidently, you've also never heard of Wonder Woman or Xena.

Oh, and your statement that none of the shows Franco listed are Westerns? You might want to read his list and rethink that.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

This has become amusing and I could rant all day about the bullshit that's being posted here but I won't because it's not worth it.

Can everybody drop the egotistical internet shit for one second and be real?

I created this thread to discuss Firefly and nothing else. I don't want to talk about Buffy or The Honeymooners or I Love Lucy. Had I wanted to the thread would be called something else.

I don't need anyone elses thoughts on a matter to feel justified in my opinion and it really doesn't bother me if no one else agrees with me either.

I am very much interested in particular directors and follow their careers closely but I thought that much was obvious.

Do I think Joss Whedon is the second coming? No. He created Firefly for me and that's more than enough.

I never once said anything bad about Buffy other than the show never interested in me so I don't know why all your panties are all in a bunch.

I think Firefly is the best show ever made for tv. I don't expect or need anyone else to feel that way. All media is subjective. I think the MOna Lisa is a piece of shit and wouldn't hang it on my wall if it was given to me for free but dammit I'd pay an arm and a leg to have an original Thomas Kincaide painting.

I am perfectly fine with carrying on a discussion about Firefly all by myself. So if you don't want to talk about it then stay the fuck out.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

I created this thread to discuss Firefly and nothing else. I don't want to talk about Buffy or The Honeymooners or I Love Lucy. Had I wanted to the thread would be called something else.

Well this is funny for several reasons. First of all, you can't expect a thread to stay completely on topic. If you're talking about the work of a writer/director, on a medium as specific as TV, then you have to expect and ACCEPT that the conversation is going to sway towards their other work. This is especially true when you're talking about Joss Whedon.

Secondly, you don't own the thread. So we, as members, can come in here and discuss whatever the fuck we want.

And third, aren't you the guy that derailed the Splinter thread by talking about video games and then went even further off topic when I suggested you take it somewhere else? Yeah, that was you.

I don't need anyone elses thoughts on a matter to feel justified in my opinion and it really doesn't bother me if no one else agrees with me either.

Quote:
I never once said anything bad about Buffy other than the show never interested in me so I don't know why all your panties are all in a bunch.

Stubborn ignorance gets my panties in a bunch. There, mystery solved.

Quote:
I think Firefly is the best show ever made for tv.

And surely you can't expect this statement to go with out contention or questioning.

Quote:
I am perfectly fine with carrying on a discussion about Firefly all by myself. So if you don't want to talk about it then stay the fuck out.

We are talking about it. We're talking about how, while it's a good show, Joss Whedon has done better shows. The funny thing is, you're the ONLY person who has a problem with the nature of discussion.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Your idiocy is astounding sometimes you know that. Go back and read through this thread carefully.

Fine you wanna talk about Buffy in a Firefly thread have at it I have nothing more to say about it. I will also continue to watch Firefly and eventually Serenity on my own. Fuck I talked about Kubrick all by myself pretty much and it was the most pleasant time I've had discussing something on this mesage board.

I guess no one ever told me that thinking Buffy is a great show was a prerequisite to being able to have an opinion on anything else.
resevil80
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

I liked the first few season of Buffy then thought it started getting wierd. Angel is great also but I have never seen the whole series, I am purchasing season as of now as its one show I want to see all the way through...But I liked the Premise of Firefly and Serenity more than Buffy, but I am not sure I would say its a better show.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

resevil80 wrote:
I liked the first few season of Buffy then thought it started getting wierd. Angel is great also but I have never seen the whole series, I am purchasing season as of now as its one show I want to see all the way through...But I liked the Premise of Firefly and Serenity more than Buffy, but I am not sure I would say its a better show.

Weird is a curious word. What was weird?

I believe there is a chance that had Firefly had the chance to flourish the way Buffy and Angel did, it could have been his best work. But with essentially 15 episodes, he merely delivered a really good product.
resevil80
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

All I know is I quit watching buffy for awhile, then when I came back in...I didn't reconize the show, it was just....I'm not exactly sure, it was just wierd to me....and I agree...15 episodes is not enough time to equal greatness, but it was enough to leave me wanting more.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

resevil80 wrote:
All I know is I quit watching buffy for awhile, then when I came back in...I didn't reconize the show, it was just....I'm not exactly sure, it was just wierd to me....and I agree...15 episodes is not enough time to equal greatness, but it was enough to leave me wanting more.

You should really give Buffy another spin. Any show like that is going feel weird when you stop watching and then come back. Season 6 has some great episodes but is weak overall. 7 was a step in the right direction though. And the finale was fantastic.

Seasons 5 and 2, are my favourites, but I've never disliked a season of that show.
resevil80
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

I actually plan on it....Buffy and angel are a couple of shows I am going to watch from beginning to end, as I am buying up seasons as of now....As soon as I finish the Shield up I am hitting those two running.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

I don't think duration of a TV show is any measure of how great it is. Friends went on forever and while it was kinda funny in the beginning it totally sucked by the time it was done.

The length of Firefly and Serenity on top of it is more than enough to allow someone to form an opinion on it when every single epsiosode in no-stop greatness.

I'd put Firefly's 15 epsiodes and movie up against Battlestar Galactica in its entirety any day.
resevil80
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Battlestar Galactica....another show I need to watch..only caught a few episodes but liked it....I just can't sit down everyweek at the same time and watch a show anymore..
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I don't think duration of a TV show is any measure of how great it is. Friends went on forever and while it was kinda funny in the beginning it totally sucked by the time it was done.

The length of Firefly and Serenity on top of it is more than enough to allow someone to form an opinion on it when every single epsiosode in no-stop greatness.

I'd put Firefly's 15 epsiodes and movie up against Battlestar Galactica in its entirety any day.

it has nothing to do with duration of the show. It has to do with being able to fully flesh out the stories and characters. On Buffy and Angel ALL the main characters change and grow organically. This was accomplished because Whedon had the time to allow this to happen. If you watched his other work you would see this. And Battlestar Galactica is a much better show. Someone could put N*Sync against Metallica and N*Sync would still win to that person. Doesn't make them any less wrong.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

I can't generally be bothered to do that either but I was there for BG every week. I also TIVO'd the episodes and would watch them 2 or 3 times afterwards and then watch them again when the season came out on DVD.