Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> War Films
erikdufresne2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:13 pm  Reply with quote
Suspended Semi-literate Douchebag

Floydian Trip wrote:
Forgot to mention Pearl Harbor.

Probably because it sucks and is totally forgettable?
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
Empire of the Sun, 30 Seconds over Tokyo, The Thin Red Line, The Flying Tigers, The Longest Day, Tora Tora Tora, Saving Private Ryan, M.A.S.H. , Patton, The Dirty fucking Dozen,

And of course, The Great Escape.

I love war films. Grew up on em, and will always love them.

Fuck man...I can't believe I forgot M.A.S.H.

I've had Tora Tora Tora for years and still haven't watched it. I have to be in a certain mood for a war film and I haven't been in that mood lately.

Personally I'm not a fan of Saving Private Ryan. Not a bad film, but I find most of the story to be uninteresting. The only moments that truly stuck with me were the opening and the end. And when Giovanni Ribisi dies.
Emy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

Dude! Put a Spoiler warning, would ya?

Just kidding, I have nearly no interest in watching Saving Private Ryan for some reason. Even though Vin Diesel is in it...

Didn't See It Coming wrote:

Personally I'm not a fan of Saving Private Ryan. Not a bad film, but I find most of the story to be uninteresting. The only moments that truly stuck with me were the opening and the end. And when Giovanni Ribisi dies.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:12 pm  Reply with quote

Emy, Saving Private Ryan is an awesome movie from beginning to end. Tom Hanks is really wonderful in it and as I said I'm not much of a fan of his. Band of Brothers is great as well and I always think of one when I watch the other.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

You know Bone Daddy I did some studying myself. I read every book I could find on Vietnam. What a farce that war was, so sad. But I'll tell you this for fact. Had I been of age when it started even if I knew then what I know now about the war I wouldn't have protested, I would have volunteered. I just feel that wherever my fellow Americans have to be in some far away place fighting for God knows what, I should be there with them.

I spent nearly 2 years in the Persian Gulf for Desert Shield/Storm but when it was over I never felt like the mission was complete.

When the whole Irag war started all over again I wanted to be there to finish it. I walked into the Army recruiters office wanting to join up for the Rangers and go to Iraq to fight but by then they told me I was too old. I was ready to leave everything behind just because I felt it was the right thing to do.

You know there's a great bit of dialogue from Black Hawk Down that says it all. Hoot, one of the Delta was talking and I can't quote this perfectly because I haven't watched it in a couple of months but basically he said when he went home people would ask him why he does it. Is he some kind of war monger. He said he didn't answer because they'd never understand. It's about the guy next to you. Love that bit and it's about all that needs to be said.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:22 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
Empire of the Sun, 30 Seconds over Tokyo, The Thin Red Line, The Flying Tigers, The Longest Day, Tora Tora Tora, Saving Private Ryan, M.A.S.H. , Patton, The Dirty fucking Dozen,

And of course, The Great Escape.

I love war films. Grew up on em, and will always love them.

I fucking love M.A.S.H., the movie and the book...
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

don't really know if these count, but I just picked up the Rambo box set... oh yes.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Not my favourite genre by far but I do like me some war films.

Black Hawk Down is my absolute farvourite. Intense and incredibly well acted.

Inglorious Basterds is pure fantasy and there isn't a whole lot of war, but I think it fits in the category.

The Green Berets is a really good old school war film that does have some shocking moments. My favourite John Wayne film.

And I really enjoy the first half of Full Metal Jacket.

I agree about Full Metal Jacket. For me, the second half was not NEARLY as interesting
resevil80
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

Red Dawn and Glory(two of my favs)

Oh yeah...
Heartbreak Ridge
Black Hawk Down
Saving Private Ryan
The Great Escape
Missing in Action
Full Metal Jacket(no one enjoyed the second half of the movie?)..
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

resevil80 wrote:
Full Metal Jacket(no one enjoyed the second half of the movie?)..

I did, very much. Animal Mother is a great character that's introduced then. I just think it's different than every other Vietnam flick because it's in a city, not in the jungle.

It's pretty cool how Kubrick filmed that too. They found that whole Industrial Complex that was vacant and being prepared to be demolished so he took it over and brought in a wrecking ball to smash up the buildings and create the rubble. Pretty cool. It's also kind of interesting to see what appears to be a monolith behind Cowboy as he's dying.

I forgot about Good Morning Vietnam too.

Oh and Glory isn't too bad but Red Dawn is really only good out of nostalgia I find.
resevil80
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

Your right about Red Dawn, but I loved the movie so much when I was a kid, I just still enjoy watching it. WOLVERINES!...I always liked the fact that they didn't just let everyone live....I mean at the time, It might have been one of the first movies I saw where alot of the good characters died.

Yeah..I am not a huge Kubrick fan, but Full Metal Jacket is a fantastic movie from beginning to end...

Glory though....great movie...
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

I hear what you're saying about Red Dawn and I too loved it as a kid but it's kind of like watching The Lost Boys now.

I've only seen Glory once a long time ago maybe I need to watch it again. There aren't a whole lot of civil war movies are there?
resevil80
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

Nope, there aren't alot. The Lost Boys..yeah..but I can watch that still because i always found the movies with Cory Haim and Feldman funny...in one way or the other.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

The Lost Boys is pretty ridiculous. The sequel even more so. I worked at a movie theatre when it came out and loved the movie. Framed the movie poster and hung it on my wall and even loved the soundtrack. Ugghhh.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Lawrence of Arabia is a truly great film.

Also Braveheart. Mel Gibson is a genious in front of and behind the camera. This is a pretty powerful movie to me. It makes me feel sad, angry and in the end inspired. I'm picking up the Blu-ray tonight. Can't wait to see what it looks like in HD.