FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> James Cameron's Avatar (2009)
Karloff
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:19 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
The bounty hunters were the coolest looking characters in the movies by far but again completely useless.

Useless how? Boba caputures Han and in doing so brings about a complete turnaround in that character. Lucas set out with the idea of having the idealistic hero turning into the world-weary, cynical character and having the world-weary cynical character turn into the guy who believes in fighting the good fight. He achieved that in Return Of The Jedi, hands down, no questions asked.

Jango Fett was the model for the clone army, who end up turning on the Jedi who led them into battle and become the shock troops of the Empire.

So, what's that you were saying about being useless?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:23 am  Reply with quote

Somebody should definitely have gone back in time and killed Lucas with a shovel.
Karloff
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:24 am  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Richard Bastard wrote:
oh, I was just kidding around...

I thought it was an enjoyable little time waster, on par with Return of the Jedi as far as a kiddie movie goes

Don't compare it to Return of the Jedi.

I'll take the fucking Ewoks beating the empire with rocks and sticks over that damn annoying racial stereotype Jar Jar any day of the week.

They're equally offensive, but I never found Jar Jar to be a racial stereotype. I think that's a bunch of bullshit that people projected onto the character. He's a terrible character and completely unfunny which is why I found him offensive. And the Ewoks were just lame.

The Ewoks were lame. They weren't outright annoying, obnoxious and didn't induce homicidal rage in me like Jar Jar did. There's never been a more useless character in the whole series before.

Again with the "useless". The kids love Jar Jar. Star Wars is for kids. I know that might be a bitter pill to swallow, but it's true.

Also, Jar Jar says to kids, you can be goofy, speak funny, be clumsy and unpopular, but you have a purpose in life. You are just as important as the next person. That's important to kids. Really important. And far from useless.

Incidentally, my boy borrowed a Star Wars book from the library today and we were reading it tonight. I pointed out a picture of a Gungan and said it was Jar Jar. My lad, who is four, was quick to correct me. And you know what, he was right!
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:26 am  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
Again with the "useless". The kids love Jar Jar.

Kids are fucking stupid, we tell them what to like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Karloff
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:32 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Somebody should definitely have gone back in time and killed Lucas with a shovel.

Why is that then?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:21 am  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCjIjsZp_Y&feature=fvst

This.
Karloff
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:32 am  Reply with quote

Didn't bother clicking on the link. Couldn't be arsed and I'm sure it's pointless.

Instead, let me ask you this: you ever sit in a movie theatre in 1977, 1980 or 1983 in absolute awe at what you were seeing? You ever do that in 1997 and experience those feelings all over again? And have you ever sat in the company of children and watched the Star Wars prequels and witnessed the same awe and wonder all over again?

Maybe you should and then you might grasp the phenonoma that is the Star Wars saga.

And we haven't even touched Indiana Jones yet. Or the fact that ILM wouldn't even exist without George Lucas. Or that he is the most successful independent filmmaker ever.

Maybe you'd like that he was dead because it would mean that your James Cameron cock-sucking thread wouldn't have been hijacked by people talking about Star Wars.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:54 am  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
And have you ever sat in the company of children and watched the Star Wars prequels and witnessed the same awe and wonder all over again?

You let them watch that garbage? Shame on you! You should have stopped upon finishing the trilogy. I assume you let them watch Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as well? Poison, poison I tell you!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

James Cameron has a big cock.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
The bounty hunters were the coolest looking characters in the movies by far but again completely useless.

Useless how? Boba caputures Han and in doing so brings about a complete turnaround in that character. Lucas set out with the idea of having the idealistic hero turning into the world-weary, cynical character and having the world-weary cynical character turn into the guy who believes in fighting the good fight. He achieved that in Return Of The Jedi, hands down, no questions asked.

He achieved that in the first Star Wars. Then it was expanded in Empire with Solo still being there helping them but realized he had to get out of there because of the bounty on his head. In Jedi, all that was achieved was the emasculating of the most interesting character.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

He achieved that in the first Star Wars. Then it was expanded in Empire with Solo still being there helping them but realized he had to get out of there because of the bounty on his head. In Jedi, all that was achieved was the emasculating of the most interesting character.

Lucas doesn't even know a thing about his own characters.

In Empire Leia tells Han "I Love you," he says "I know." Because it'd be out of character to say it back for him.

What does he do in Return of the Jedi?

Tells her he loves her.

Wow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Karloff wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

In Empire Leia tells Han "I Love you," he says "I know." Because it'd be out of character to say it back for him.

Tells her he loves her.

Wow.

Honestly, that is the one thing I felt rang true. It made sense at that point that he would tell her. Not so in Empire. My complaint is that Solo would have never let Lando take the Falcon, and in an interesting aside, a recent conversation I had with Messiahman, he pointed something out that I never really even thought of, Solo was sold out by Lando and yet he acts as if everything is fine. Nor would Han Solo even think about stepping aside for Luke. Ever. Ford does the best he can with the character in that movie. Even the way he says "I love you" to Leia is very Solo. It's not a passionate declaration of love in desperation the way Leia does it in Empire. It's more like "You're kinda cool". Which works well considering. I may hate the movie overall, but it does have little moments...Which of course are completely undone by moments like Chewie doing the Tarzan yell and of course, the Ewoks.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Karloff wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Tells her he loves her.

Wow.

Honestly, that is the one thing I felt rang true. It made sense at that point that he would tell her. Not so in Empire. My complaint is that Solo would have never let Lando take the Falcon, and in an interesting aside, a recent conversation I had with Messiahman, he pointed something out that I never really even thought of, Solo was sold out by Lando and yet he acts as if everything is fine. Nor would Han Solo even think about stepping aside for Luke. Ever. Ford does the best he can with the character in that movie. Even the way he says "I love you" to Leia is very Solo. It's not a passionate declaration of love in desperation the way Leia does it in Empire. It's more like "You're kinda cool". Which works well considering. I may hate the movie overall, but it does have little moments...Which of course are completely undone by moments like Chewie doing the Tarzan yell and of course, the Ewoks.

I love Return of the Jedi. I think the final confrontation is gripping as hell.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Return of the Jedi does have its moments but I'd rather edit together a greatest hits of that movie then sit through the whole thing.

I'd seriously rather throw in Wrath of Khan than watch any Star Wars movie. I realize Star Trek and Star Wars are on opposite ends of the spectrum in scope but they went for broke with WoK and killed Spock, one of the most beloved characters in sci-fi. At the time they fully intended on leaving him dead much to the chagrin of Nimoy. Spock's death was a powerful scene to me when I was a kid and still is today. I never felt that way about anything in Star Wars.
Karloff
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Karloff wrote:
Again with the "useless". The kids love Jar Jar.

Kids are fucking stupid, we tell them what to like.

If you're being serious with that comment, well then I have to say that you are fucking stupid.