FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> James Cameron's Avatar (2009)
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Richard Bastard wrote:
you loved it

At first? No doubt.

But it doesn't lend itself to repeated viewings. At all. All of its flaws just burst out from the seams after a second viewing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

oh, I was just kidding around...

I thought it was an enjoyable little time waster, on par with Return of the Jedi as far as a kiddie movie goes
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

The only reason I'd have for re-watching The Binks Annoyance would be to see that badass Darth Maul lightsaber fight again. It's mind boggling how Lucas can create such a wicked character like Darth Maul, and on the other hand create such annoying, goofy characters like Jar Jar Binks and giant teddy bears AKA Ewoks.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

Darth Maul is an awesome character but again he was hardly in the movie and went out with a whimper. I think Lucas could have used more Rebel fodder for the Empire to kill in the vein of the red shirts in Star Trek.
Karloff
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:16 pm  Reply with quote

Star Wars never needs to ape Star Trek.

Maul was sliced in two - that's going out with a whimper?

As for Ewoks and Jar Jar, they've honestly never troubled me and the point Lucas makes with both is a very fine point indeed.
Karloff
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:29 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Karloff wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
That argument is why Michael Bay is still allowed to make movies. 'Nuff said.

Hilarious arguments to defend bad movies:

1. It made millions at the box office!
2. It topped the box office!
3. It made a lot on DVD and Blu Ray sales!
4. Most of the people I talked to loved it!
5. The effects were amazing!

Shit, there goes all my arguments in defence of The Phantom Menace!

Blech! Phantom Menace. I've never seen such a stale confusing movie in all my life.

The political stuff is a little dry and the stuff in the Senate, whilst interesting, doesn't do much for the kids. The rest of it, though, is perfect Saturday matinee entertainment. I remember the second time I saw it at the pictures and the row in front of me - which almost totally comprised seven-to-eight year old boys - all went "Wow!" as one when the characters swim to Otoh Gunga. I smiled broadly and thought "Yes, this is exactly how it was for us back in 1977".

My boy is a year younger than I was when I first saw Star Wars. I can see how he's digging the films and the cartoon and the figures as much as I did back then. Which is why the naysayers can't really touch me with their criticisms. The magic is right there in the eyes of a four-year old boy, and that's what it's all about. Smile
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:57 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Darth Maul is an awesome character but again he was hardly in the movie and went out with a whimper. I think Lucas could have used more Rebel fodder for the Empire to kill in the vein of the red shirts in Star Trek.

Correction: Darth Maul is an awesome LOOKING character.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:07 am  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

True.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:25 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

True.

Same with Boba Fett. I never got why that character is so popular. He doesn't really do all that much.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:02 am  Reply with quote

Richard Bastard wrote:

I thought it was an enjoyable little time waster, on par with Return of the Jedi as far as a kiddie movie goes

Don't compare it to Return of the Jedi.

I'll take the fucking Ewoks beating the empire with rocks and sticks over that damn annoying racial stereotype Jar Jar any day of the week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:03 am  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Karloff wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
That argument is why Michael Bay is still allowed to make movies. 'Nuff said.

Hilarious arguments to defend bad movies:

1. It made millions at the box office!
2. It topped the box office!
3. It made a lot on DVD and Blu Ray sales!
4. Most of the people I talked to loved it!
5. The effects were amazing!

Shit, there goes all my arguments in defence of The Phantom Menace!

Blech! Phantom Menace. I've never seen such a stale confusing movie in all my life.

The political stuff is a little dry and the stuff in the Senate, whilst interesting, doesn't do much for the kids. The rest of it, though, is perfect Saturday matinee entertainment. I remember the second time I saw it at the pictures and the row in front of me - which almost totally comprised seven-to-eight year old boys - all went "Wow!" as one when the characters swim to Otoh Gunga. I smiled broadly and thought "Yes, this is exactly how it was for us back in 1977".

My boy is a year younger than I was when I first saw Star Wars. I can see how he's digging the films and the cartoon and the figures as much as I did back then. Which is why the naysayers can't really touch me with their criticisms. The magic is right there in the eyes of a four-year old boy, and that's what it's all about. Smile

I didn't like it at all once I re-watched it.

It drones on an on and on, sets up so much stuff it doesn't tell an actual story, everyone looks fucking bored, that pod race scene is awful, et al. I could go on.

Phantom Menace was like getting a hand job and just when you're anticipating this massive orgasm, only a little dribble comes out and you realize it was all pointless.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:04 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

Had Lucas simplified the plot "Phantom Menace" would have been great. And Darth Maul was a great character, he just didn't have an actual point and Lucas was too afraid to use him to his full potential lest he scare the kiddies.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:05 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
The only reason I'd have for re-watching The Binks Annoyance would be to see that badass Darth Maul lightsaber fight again. It's mind boggling how Lucas can create such a wicked character like Darth Maul, and on the other hand create such annoying, goofy characters like Jar Jar Binks and giant teddy bears AKA Ewoks.

Well one character is kiddy pandering and another is adult pandering, more on the former. Show a lot of the Eowks and JAr Jar, show very little of Maul and Boba Fett. Not to mention kill them off like clowns.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:34 am  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Richard Bastard wrote:

Don't compare it to Return of the Jedi.

I'll take the fucking Ewoks beating the empire with rocks and sticks over that damn annoying racial stereotype Jar Jar any day of the week.

They're equally offensive, but I never found Jar Jar to be a racial stereotype. I think that's a bunch of bullshit that people projected onto the character. He's a terrible character and completely unfunny which is why I found him offensive. And the Ewoks were just lame.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:36 am  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

True.

Same with Boba Fett. I never got why that character is so popular. He doesn't really do all that much.

The character was popular because he looked so bad-ass. Plus there was an air of mystery about him. Same with Maul. Plus, Maul takes part in the best light saber battle ever. Yeah, I'm a geek.