FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> NEW AVP Trailer!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't think they innovated much of anything and failed with their experiment. As a "spiritual successor" to what was my favorite game ever up until Dead Space came along in System Shock 2 it was a pathetic attempt. Did you play that game? It is the only game that ever actually scared me. There's no use in trying to play it now.

Maybe because I always have been such a huge FPS fanatic from day 1 with Wolfenstein I'm just not easily impressed. I generally bitch about more FPS's than I like but in the last year or so I almost quit gaming for good and hardly play them anymore. Now I even struggle to come up with terms for things that used to be in my every day vocabulary.

Why does a person who dislikes FPS's so much carry the torch for Bioshock?
MethRattle
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Why does a person who dislikes FPS's so much carry the torch for Bioshock?

Because it, unlike pretty much every other FPS on the market (except "Mirror's Edge"), doesn't cling to the cliched rules of the genre. Most FPSs might as well be that game where you try to smack the backs of each other's hands, for all the thought needed to play them. I like me some rote reflex-usage every so often, too, but most of the time I need more than just eye/hand coordination tests in my gaming experience.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

I want intensity and Bioshock had none.

AvP has it in spades.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Trying to move your hands out of the way faster than the other guy can slap them is intense, but it doesn't cause much in the way of other emotions. "Bioshock" offers far more emotional impact than just intensity. More than just fear, too, since you've often stated that nothing scares you.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

What other emotions does Bioshock hit on? Saving or killing the Little Sister's has absolutely no impact on the game whatsoever. The outcome is the same no matter what you do. That's what I spent the most time thinking about before it came out.

And the 3rd level fetch quest bullshit almost made me stop playing.

Braid had more emotion just in the story than all of Bioshock.

Yes, what I want most out of a FPS is intensity just like a racing game. I don't want to casually drive around a fully realized LA. I want white-knuckle, edge of my seat racing like Sega Rally Revo.

SEGA!
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:37 am  Reply with quote

So, I've beaten all three campaigns and I've delved into two of the multiplayer modes. The Marine and Predator campaigns were a blast despite the monotonous objectives. The only thing I enjoyed about the Alien campaign was the kill animations....when I could pull them off.

I've also played Predator Hunt and Survivor. Predator Hunter is as it sounds, some players assume the roles of the Marines and others the roles of the Predators; whoever kills the Predators gets to become them. When you're being hunted, it is truly terrifying. When you're hunting, you feel like a total badass. Survivor deals with trying to survive wave after Xenomorph wave with three friends before you finally get your head punched through.

I don't think I'll be selling this game anytime soon. Hopefully Rebellion will support this game with DLC. I think this game has received alot of undeserved negative press. Is the game seriously old school in terms of gameplay mechanics? Yes, but if you love these iconic monsters like I do you won't mind a bit. The critics are wrong on this one.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:51 am  Reply with quote

I've read some reviews beyond the paragraphs posted on Metacritic and agree that they're being too harsh and the game and Rebellion deserve better. I doubt most of the critics I've read watch the first three Alien movies on a monthly basis and weren't particularly impressed with Predator. This is total fan service and I have a feeling they will support this game for a long time and have a very hardcore group of gamers playing it constantly.

I'm still surprised that DC hasn't reviewed this game because they would definitely get it and Rebellion could really use it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:06 am  Reply with quote

Ask and you shall recieve. Great review by Creepy and I hope it's the first one people read. I would have definitely brought up how perfect and orgasmic the motion tracker and pulse rifle sound when getting into the audio.
Nobodaddy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

Location: Munyeca. Yo te ciaro. Yo te ciaro Ohio. Muy bonito.

LSD Zombie wrote:
I don't think I'll be selling this game anytime soon. Hopefully Rebellion will support this game with DLC. I think this game has received alot of undeserved negative press. Is the game seriously old school in terms of gameplay mechanics? Yes, but if you love these iconic monsters like I do you won't mind a bit. The critics are wrong on this one.

Rebellion is in talks with Sega about doing DLC support and a developing a sequel.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

thank god. I want to have this game so bad! I may have to pick up a microsoft points card for the dlc:D
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

So how many forum members are currently playing this game? Because I don't have anyone on my friends list that owns or intends to own the game.
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:01 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Playing. Gamertag is BuzJob. Hit me up and we'll enjoy survivor together.