FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Eyes Wide Shut
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

I still get bummed about the fact that Kubrick is dead. I would have loved to see his vision of Napolean and the Holocaust.

I just don't understand why people hate his movies and there's alot of people like that out there. What also boggles my mind is how so many people disliked Eyes Wide Shut.

I watched it last night and I swear I like it more and more each time I watch it. It is my favorite Kubrick film. Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise gave amazing performances. Kubrick knew how to bring out the best in people and make them earn that paycheck with his 50+ takes.

My favorite scene in a movie ever is in The Abyss. Next is Eyes Wide Shut. The scene where they come home and smoke some pot is incredible. Not because they're smoking pot but because they pull off being stoned so well and the range of emotions they go through in a matter of minutes which triggers the events for the rest of the movie. I wonder if they were actually smoking weed for that scene especially Nicole who goes from laughing hysterically to dead serious as she recounts her thoughts of wanting to sleep with another man which haunts Bill for the rest of the movie.

I can relate to this movie so well. Hell, it might even be my favorite movie of all time. Brilliant.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

This movies sucks and you're stoopid for liking it! Mr. Green
Actually, I can't say I've ever seen this one all the way through. But, since you mentioned it, I may have to give it another shot.
Now, about that Abyss scene. Which one? I do have to say I never really liked that one. It was good I guess, but I can't stand Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio. Why? I don't know, it might have to do with the fact that she's one of the most unattractive people I've ever seen, the delivery of her lines or just the roles she's been in. I didn't like her in Scarface either. And let's not even talk about Robin Hood, OK? *shudder*
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:16 pm  Reply with quote

Kubrick films sometimes take time to grow on you. You really should watch it again. Just let yourself get sucked into the movie. I also think Nicole is one of the best looking women in the world. A classic beauty.

As for The Abyss it's the scene where they're trapped in a flooding sub with only one suit. He gets her back to the rig and brings her back to life. Everyone was acting their asses off in that sequence and it chokes me up
every damn time I watch it. I watch it alot.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Hey man if you do get around to watching it again and still don't like it I'd like to know why. First I'd tell you to keep watching it until you do like 'cause its just not right to dislike any of Stanley's films. Very Happy

Seriously though pretty much every time I talk to someone about Kubrick and they don't like 1 of his movies its Eyes Wide Shut. The most I've ever gotten out of people is that they don't like Tom Cruise. I know he's not the most popular actor out there but he is pretty damn good imo. He's great in this but every performance was great when Kubrick was behind the camera.

I've always thought that pretty much everyone should be able to relate to this story. Really hasn't everyone felt jealous at some point in their life? It can destroy a relationship faster than anything.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

I'm just talking to myself. Don't mind me.

This movie makes me think in a couple of contrary ways. First, I think that if my wife or gf told me a story like Alice tells Bill I would fucking lose it. I am a jealous guy by nature.

The second thing that goes through my mind when the movie is over is how irrational Bill's thoughts and actions were and how mine would be as well. While she tells him that she wanted to fuck this other guy she didn't. Bill came close several times in the movie to completely destroying his family. With the hooker with HIV to the sex cult.

Kubrick's films have so many layers and are so thought provoking. I find new things to think about each time I watch one and always get all Kubrick fanatical also all over again.
Legba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

This film's basically about the immorality of fantasy.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

What do you mean by that?
Legba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

Basically it's a prolonged mind-game, or exploration, about the deviant nature of sexual fantasy.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

I see what you're saying. The movie is much more personal to me than that. I don't see it as merely fantasy but a reality.
Legba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I see what you're saying. The movie is much more personal to me than that. I don't see it as merely fantasy but a reality.

Role playing...
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:09 pm  Reply with quote

Ha, ok. Actually I've been thinking about this movie so intensely since I watched it that I really don't want to think about it anymore. I have much deeper thoughts about it but I don't like delving too deeply in this subject matter.

I think I'll watch the Blu of Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb tonight. There's nothing like Global Thermonuclear War to take my mind off of something.
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

I'm actually hit or miss on Kubrick. This film in question is too belabored in its execution. Comes across as trite, although the idea is of interest to me.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't instantly love all of Kubrick's films like I do now either. I definitely did not go on about EWS when I saw it in theatres. I think my first reaction was that it was a little too Hollywood for my tastes. His films, to me, are magical in a way that no other director's films in history are. Every time I watch one, any one, I like it more than the previous time I watched it. No matter how many times I've seen a film I always get something new out of it.

Kubrick was also such a chameleon in that no matter what genre, from horror to comedy and everything in between, he was the best. The Shining scared me more than any other horror film has in my life and I think Dr. Strangelove is the funniest goddamn movie I have ever seen. Watching Dr. Strangelove last night for the umpteenth time I laughed my ass off which doesn't happen to me too much.

Talk about chameleons, Peter Sellers was a comedic genious and was absolutely brilliant in Dr. Strangelove playing 3 distinctly different characters. George C. Scott is also amazingly funny in this movie which is a much different side to him than most of his movies. His facial expressions are hysterical. It definitely made me stop thinking about EWS and it was a relief.
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

I've followed his work for along time. I'm glad you've got a passion for it. I'm pretty much that way with Argento, although I'm in the vast minority who feel a lot of his maligned latter work is more complexly interesting, if not as stylish or tonally serious at times.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

I love Argento as well but what did you think of Mother of Tears? As a matter of fact I've always thought of Argento as the Italian version of Stanley Kubrick where Fulci is the equivalent of John Carpenter.