FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:03 pm  Reply with quote

Star Wars is the only trilogy that I know of in which the bad guys win the second film.

The Godfather is about evil characters and a further descent into evil so there's nothing to mine there. The Indiana Jones films, much like Transformers, feature the good guy/s winning in the end. The Mad Max trilogy, the same. Come to think of it, I'm not seeing the difference in any of those films in terms of structure of Transformers.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:32 am  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Star Wars is the only trilogy that I know of in which the bad guys win the second film.

The Godfather is about evil characters and a further descent into evil so there's nothing to mine there. The Indiana Jones films, much like Transformers, feature the good guy/s winning in the end. The Mad Max trilogy, the same. Come to think of it, I'm not seeing the difference in any of those films in terms of structure of Transformers.

In Pirates of the Carribean, the second movie ends kind of with the bad guy winning.
will graham
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

there's just 2 things that bug me.
Spoilers

1. How the hell was the mum hyperactive after eating certain brownies? Surely it would be the other way round?

2. What women in their right mind would find a robot cute after it just dry humped her leg?

I saw this couple of weeks ago. If it weren't for the giant robots it would have been a good movie. Then again I didn't like the first.

To those who liked the movie, did you not feel that the final battle went on too long?
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:18 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

I'm 37.

Funniest part of this entire thread.

God, this movie was retarded. Even the dumbest, most (proud to be) low-class people I know fucking hated it - so much so that if you even bring up the subject, they get offended, like someone sold them a dub sack that turned out to be filled with Kentucky bluegrass or something.

Glad I didn't pay to see this. Nothing but two hour string of Yankee Imperialist propaganda, blatant racism, and dick jokes. Fuck you, Michael Bay, and may you burn in hell for what you're feeding the next generation of American stooges.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:10 am  Reply with quote

I just enjoy posting on a thread about a movie that I will most likely go the rest of my life never seeing, just like the first. I just want that out there in case one of you guys end up giving my eulogy. "Good old Gus. Great guy. Never saw the Transformer movies but here, looking at a life that was lived as best as he was able, can we not look past that? It's just too bad he never made it to the Wolf Man remake. Boy, he sure was excited about that."
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:02 am  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:

I'm 37.

My age is funny? Let me guess, you have some more of your blanket statement, know-nothing rhetoric?

Quote:
Glad I didn't pay to see this. Nothing but two hour string of Yankee Imperialist propaganda, blatant racism, and dick jokes. Fuck you, Michael Bay, and may you burn in hell for what you're feeding the next generation of American stooges.

The fact that the movie mad you THIS mad, makes me smile.
JoeDarkfall
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:39 am  Reply with quote

JoeDarkfall wrote:
kiddcapone wrote:

And obviously Michael Bay doesn’t understand the rules of a trilogy. Usually in the 1st film good wins, evil comes back in the 2nd, and good triumphs in the 3rd to finally bring the story to a conclusion.

That didn't happen in Lord of the Rings. Those movies turned out alright.

You mean that trilogy about people and tree's walking around? There She Blows!

Actually I pulled that reference from "Clerks 2."

Both the Matrix and the Rings left me so sleepy. Seriously, I wanted to like them, especially since I'm a Keanu fan, but god those two trilogys put me to sleep every time. My wife would have to stop the movie everytime I fell asleep just so I could pick it up later.

I think that's why I also don't like superhero movies. Because the good guy always wins. I hate spiderman with a passion. And admit that I did like the last two batman movies.

I think that's why I love horror so much, because the little goody toshoos don't always win in the end.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:04 am  Reply with quote

Sorry to break it to you but you fell asleep because you were tired.
Foywonder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:34 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Sorry to break it to you but you fell asleep because you were tired.

I can fully testify to having seen films where I started out wide awake and ended up so bored I started falling asleep. It does actually happen.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:05 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

I'm 37.

My age is funny? Let me guess, you have some more of your blanket statement, know-nothing rhetoric?

Nah. It actually makes a lot of sense. In a sad, sad way ...

You'd think the older a person gets, the wiser and more cultured they'd become. Obviously, this isn't always the case. Or, if it is, I'd hate to meet the dimwitted neanderthal you were at 27.

But, if you want blanket statements, I do have them by the truckload. Here's one for free: never date a girl who's into Fleetwood Mac. Those Stevie Nicks chicks are all fucking crazy.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

You'd think the older a person gets, the wiser and more cultured they'd become. Obviously, this isn't always the case. Or, if it is, I'd hate to meet the dimwitted neanderthal you were at 27.

So let me guess, based on your moronic leaps in "logic" you must be 12?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

The funny part of all this to me is that people expected something other than a shitty movie which I too will never see. Not even for free. And if I can help it my boys won't see this trash either.

I've already gotten them straightened out on music. They have great taste in music for being so young. No Jonas Brothers for them. Hey isn't Underworld like the Jonas Brothers? Shitty and uber popular with the kids? Anyway, now I'm working on their taste in movies. So far so good. If you ask them what movie they'd like to watch they'll pick 300. They hate Disney.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
The funny part of all this to me is that people expected something other than a shitty movie which I too will never see. Not even for free. And if I can help it my boys won't see this trash either.

I've already gotten them straightened out on music. They have great taste in music for being so young. No Jonas Brothers for them. Hey isn't Underworld like the Jonas Brothers? Shitty and uber popular with the kids? Anyway, now I'm working on their taste in movies. So far so good. If you ask them what movie they'd like to watch they'll pick 300. They hate Disney.

Good job. Free will cannot be tolerated! Assimilate! ASSIMILATE!!!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

I don't tell them what to like and dislike they just like what I like and that's good. Just like I grew up listening to the music that my older sister's did when they were teenagers in the 70's so I was listening to Pink Floyd and the Doors while my friends hadn't even started listening to music yet.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:16 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

So let me guess, based on your moronic leaps in "logic" you must be 12?

Try ancient.

That's part of the reason I won't get into any long, protracted arguments with the likes of you. Because I'm old enough and smart enough to know better. You're just another blowhard with a pea sized brain and I think, on some level, you know that ... which only makes you blow harder. Pretty common complex, that. Especially on the internet.

Back on topic:

After TF2 and Star Trek, I officially declare 2009 'the year of the lens flare". I used to think that effect was kind of cool. Now, I almost wish I never have to see one again.

Then again, maybe this is some sort of elaborate in-joke amongst big budget filmmakers, subtly playing up that aspect of their visual style in response to their detractors' repeated claims that their films are 'overly flashy'. Kind of like how Raimi & co. took that bit of advice about having 'blood run down the screen' to its literal extreme when making the original Evil Dead.