FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:28 am  Reply with quote

Saw it in imax. I actually really liked it. It's a movie where you REALLY have to go in knowing what to expect, but I was thoroughly entertained.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:33 am  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:

I'm not delusional enough to think that everyone is going to like this movie because they aren't but I'd bet 90% of the people that don't didn't like the first one and probably shouldn't have bothered with this one.

That's pretty much my stance with this movie. It's just more of the same. If you enjoyed the first one, you will probably enjoy this. There are certainly a lot of people who didn't like the first one, though, and they shouldn't bother.

Personally, I loved that Starscream had a bigger role (even if only slightly) and thought Soundwave was handled very well, considering that they HAD to change him so much from the G1 incarnation.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:49 pm  Reply with quote

I never had a Transformer toy. Space 1999 and Battlestar Galactica toys were my thing.
conundrum
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

This is one of the best reviews I have ever read.
PelusaMG
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:05 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I never had a Transformer toy. Space 1999 and Battlestar Galactica toys were my thing.

Oh man! "Space 1999"... I had one of those Eagle transporter vehicles and LOVED it. Gerry Anderson was responsible for some of the best futuristic vehicles ever!
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:56 am  Reply with quote

PelusaMG wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Oh man! "Space 1999"... I had one of those Eagle transporter vehicles and LOVED it. Gerry Anderson was responsible for some of the best futuristic vehicles ever!

That big honking Eagle that you could put guys in? Yeah, that was great. I wonder if someone will someday do something with Space 1999. Although for the life of me I can't remember a damn thing about an episode beyond the moon was jetting off into outer space.
Legba
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

Shogun Warriors still rule.

Here's the original Transformers!

kiddcapone
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

I just don't know...I grew up a huge Transformers fan. I never missed a single episode. I owned (and still have) about 30 different G1 Transformers in my parentís attic. But the first movie missed the mark and the second one didn't win my affection either. It's just a collection of CGI explosions, convoluted action sequences, bad acting, and ridiculous storylines.
Most of the Transformers look alike, basically a mess of metal with eyes, and I occasionally found myself now knowing who the hell was who (and after the 2 hour mark, I didnít care). There was just wayyyyy too many negatives in the movie to simply dismiss them all and label the movie worth watching. The WORST part was the robot girl. I mean, really? The Decepticons now have the ability to make human transformers? Iím still not over the fact Megatron isnít a fucking Walther P38. Now Jetfire is some old fart who walked with a cane? And while Iím at it, didnít it seem like the Decepticons outnumbered the Autobots about 2000 to 8? They had every little robot/transformer/insect/spybot in the universe working for them. It was all so damn stupid.
And obviously Michael Bay doesnít understand the rules of a trilogy. Usually in the 1st film good wins, evil comes back in the 2nd, and good triumphs in the 3rd to finally bring the story to a conclusion. In this Transformers universe, Good wins, Good wins, and take a wild guess who will come out ahead in the 3rd film? More predictable than professional wrestling. If anything, they should have brought Optimus back in the final film to save the dayÖ.
Michael Bay was the worst person in the world to be connected with the Transformers. I would be just as entertained if they cut the budget by 50% percent and made a simple Autobots/Decepticons movie with 12-15 easily distinguishable robots on both sides fighting it out. They donít need to be 200 feet tall either. Throw in the most popular characters, Dinobots, Triple Changers, the real Megatron gun, Bluestreak, Starscream, etc. It would definitely be a less is better type movie.
Legba
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

They've just re-leased Season One of the original cartoon series if anybody cares. Hope they get around to 3 & 4! I refuse to let Bay rape my childhood memories again. Once naive, second time a sucker.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

kiddcapone wrote:

And obviously Michael Bay doesnít understand the rules of a trilogy. Usually in the 1st film good wins, evil comes back in the 2nd, and good triumphs in the 3rd to finally bring the story to a conclusion.

That didn't happen in Lord of the Rings. Those movies turned out alright.
JoeDarkfall
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

kiddcapone wrote:

And obviously Michael Bay doesnít understand the rules of a trilogy. Usually in the 1st film good wins, evil comes back in the 2nd, and good triumphs in the 3rd to finally bring the story to a conclusion.

You mean that trilogy about people and tree's walking around? There She Blows!
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

JoeDarkfall wrote:
kiddcapone wrote:

Yep, that's what the trilogy is about.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

JoeDarkfall wrote:
kiddcapone wrote:

A lot of movies sound retarded when boiled down to one sentence.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
JoeDarkfall wrote:
kiddcapone wrote:

A lot of movies sound retarded when boiled down to one sentence.

Especially when a retard boils them down to one sentence.
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

kiddcapone wrote:

It did to a degree. The Two Towers was darker and focused more on the evil characters. Besides, Lord of the Rings was basically one story told over 3 films. The Transformers is going to be 3 seperate storyline movies all starting and ending exactly the same. What's the point of making 3 identical films? We have good guys, bad guys with an evil plan, good guys stop the evil plan, all is right with the world. All main characters survive. Cue the end credits. If that's the case, why stop at 3? It's not a continued storyline.

That's why I used the professional wrestling comparison. It's the reason I stopped watching. There's only so many times you can rewatch the same goddamn storyline. We have a good guy. We have a bad guy. Bad guy does something really really really bad. Good guy gets his revenge and wins the match. Bad is punished. YAY! Good guys win clean, bad guys can't win unless they cheat. *Yawn*

If they made Transformers Part 14: Recycled Warriors it would be the same exact shit. If you're only purpose is to create more CGI explosions than the last film, then what's the real point?