FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
arandomthought
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:31 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Posts: 1193
Location: MD

Dr. Abyss wrote:
Look I only have on question to ask you......

What the fuck is that big wheel thing. Because I want to see the movie for the same exact reason you saw it. Giant FUCKING ROBOTS BEATING THE HELL OUT OF EACH OTHER!!!!!!
'

I have no idea what big wheel thing you're talking about, but I did enjoy myself watching this. The action is great, the devastator is a sight to behold, and the new transformers are cool, though we don't get much time with many of the new ones. I was suprised at the amount of cussing in this one compared to the last one, as well as how brutal some of the deaths were. To any extent it's enjoyable to see robots fight. If I got the chance, I'd do a fan edit of these two movies, and make it a robot fight fest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:55 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Foywonder wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Foywonder wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
I loved the first one and I loved this one.


[img]Now I'm not one to advocate a holocaust, but..."[/img] Mr. Green


Sorry man, I make no apologies about my love of junk food. I like Burger King and Doritos too.


I like Burger King and Doritos too. But I draw the line at chugging Draino.


You should really get a grip on your hyperbole. If you think this movie is like chugging Draino then I feel kind of sorry for you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:02 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Chainsaw wrote:
And please spare me this whole "it's -a-popcorn-movie-just-shut-your-brain-off" bullshit. I am so sick of people using that as a crutch when a movie is terribly written and plotted. Random explosions are of no use if you loathe the characters in the movie.


I guess when you get mad when you watch movies like Deep Throat, huh? I'm kind of sick of the people who bitch about people using the shut your brain off reason. I'm sure we can go into each and every one of our DVD collections and find movies that have some terrible writing that we all like. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has a TERRIBLE script and acting but yet a lot of us love it. Why? Because it's visceral, it's grimey, it's a laundry list of reasons that have nothing to do with the acting or the plotting...Sure someone could make a case for a few of the "performances" but that would be exactly what I'm talking about. So yes, shut your brain off for this movie can work because some of us were happy to see awesome FX and action sequences. I couldn't care less about the why's. I don't need every movie to be on par with The Player, Casablanca, The Dark Knight. Just like I don't need every meal to be 4 star and I'm happy with getting just a blow job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Foywonder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:41 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1895
Location: Biloxi, MS

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Foywonder wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Foywonder wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
I loved the first one and I loved this one.


[img]Now I'm not one to advocate a holocaust, but..."[/img] Mr. Green


Sorry man, I make no apologies about my love of junk food. I like Burger King and Doritos too.


I like Burger King and Doritos too. But I draw the line at chugging Draino.


You should really get a grip on your hyperbole. If you think this movie is like chugging Draino then I feel kind of sorry for you.


So you decided to see my perceived hyperbole and raise it with a heaping helping of santimony? There's no reason to pity the guy who has sat through countless god awful movies that would make your eyes bleed for having to draw the line somewhere. I got no problem with junkfood cinema. Lowest common denominator crap is another story entirely. I saw the first film and I've read all about the humor in this one. This is Larry the Cable Guy movie humor for fanboys who would otherwise rightfully thumb their nose at such if not for it being packaged in a movie based on a toyline about giant robots beating the crap out of one another. Giant robots beating the crap out of one another? Sounds great. Except the robot designs are so busy and the direction so incoherent you can't tell what the hell is going on unless there's a slo-mo shot. No thanks. You find this entertaining then by all means, eat up. But I'm so sick of mental indigestion that I've decided to put myself on a diet.

I also just turned 35 yesterday. That means I no longer fall into the desired age demographic Hollywood and Madison Avenue most covet. That means I'm now legally allowed to shake my cane at you whippersnappers and tell you about how much better even the popcorn movies were when I was a kid. And you know what? THEY WERE!
_________________
NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:THE UNBEARABLE HEXNESS OF BENDING
Plus...
My blog devoted to the cinematic schlocktastic!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
arandomthought
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:37 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Posts: 1193
Location: MD

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Chainsaw wrote:
And please spare me this whole "it's -a-popcorn-movie-just-shut-your-brain-off" bullshit. I am so sick of people using that as a crutch when a movie is terribly written and plotted. Random explosions are of no use if you loathe the characters in the movie.


I guess when you get mad when you watch movies like Deep Throat, huh? I'm kind of sick of the people who bitch about people using the shut your brain off reason. I'm sure we can go into each and every one of our DVD collections and find movies that have some terrible writing that we all like. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has a TERRIBLE script and acting but yet a lot of us love it. Why? Because it's visceral, it's grimey, it's a laundry list of reasons that have nothing to do with the acting or the plotting...Sure someone could make a case for a few of the "performances" but that would be exactly what I'm talking about. So yes, shut your brain off for this movie can work because some of us were happy to see awesome FX and action sequences. I couldn't care less about the why's. I don't need every movie to be on par with The Player, Casablanca, The Dark Knight. Just like I don't need every meal to be 4 star and I'm happy with getting just a blow job.


Wow, I didn't expect this from you, the one person who is against dumb movies. We've argued about this so much, but now I think you see what I mean, or I hope you do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:57 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

arandomthought wrote:
Wow, I didn't expect this from you, the one person who is against dumb movies. We've argued about this so much, but now I think you see what I mean, or I hope you do.


I NEVER said I don't have double standards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:02 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Foywonder wrote:

So you decided to see my perceived hyperbole and raise it with a heaping helping of santimony? There's no reason to pity the guy who has sat through countless god awful movies that would make your eyes bleed for having to draw the line somewhere. I got no problem with junkfood cinema. Lowest common denominator crap is another story entirely. I saw the first film and I've read all about the humor in this one. This is Larry the Cable Guy movie humor for fanboys who would otherwise rightfully thumb their nose at such if not for it being packaged in a movie based on a toyline about giant robots beating the crap out of one another. Giant robots beating the crap out of one another? Sounds great. Except the robot designs are so busy and the direction so incoherent you can't tell what the hell is going on unless there's a slo-mo shot. No thanks. You find this entertaining then by all means, eat up. But I'm so sick of mental indigestion that I've decided to put myself on a diet.


I've seen Larry the Cable Guy's humor and this is in no way, shape or form, in the same vein. Is some of it juvenile? Absolutely, which is to be expected, do I wish they didn't use that kind of humor? Absolutely. But I recommend you actually SEE the movie before you condemn and pass judgment on it's humor and it's action scenes because until you do, nothing you say is valid. Now, if you have no interest in seeing the movie, fine, but spare us the hyperbolic rants about how bad a movie you haven't even seen is.

Quote:
I also just turned 35 yesterday. That means I no longer fall into the desired age demographic Hollywood and Madison Avenue most covet. That means I'm now legally allowed to shake my cane at you whippersnappers and tell you about how much better even the popcorn movies were when I was a kid. And you know what? THEY WERE!


I'm 37.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Foywonder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:27 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1895
Location: Biloxi, MS

[quote="Didn't See It Coming"]
Foywonder wrote:

So you decided to see my perceived hyperbole and raise it with a heaping helping of santimony? There's no reason to pity the guy who has sat through countless god awful movies that would make your eyes bleed for having to draw the line somewhere. I got no problem with junkfood cinema. Lowest common denominator crap is another story entirely. I saw the first film and I've read all about the humor in this one. This is Larry the Cable Guy movie humor for fanboys who would otherwise rightfully thumb their nose at such if not for it being packaged in a movie based on a toyline about giant robots beating the crap out of one another. Giant robots beating the crap out of one another? Sounds great. Except the robot designs are so busy and the direction so incoherent you can't tell what the hell is going on unless there's a slo-mo shot. No thanks. You find this entertaining then by all means, eat up. But I'm so sick of mental indigestion that I've decided to put myself on a diet.


I've seen Larry the Cable Guy's humor and this is in no way, shape or form, in the same vein. Is some of it juvenile? Absolutely, which is to be expected, do I wish they didn't use that kind of humor? Absolutely. But I recommend you actually SEE the movie before you condemn and pass judgment on it's humor and it's action scenes because until you do, nothing you say is valid. Now, if you have no interest in seeing the movie, fine, but spare us the hyperbolic rants about how bad a movie you haven't even seen is.

I saw the first one. The second one from all accounts is just the first one loaded with even more of what I didn't like about the first one. Not seeing jigaboo bots and John Turturro's ass crack is something I can easily declare crap from a distance. No thanks. I'll add nothing further to this thread other than to say Public Enemies opens July 1st.
_________________
NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:THE UNBEARABLE HEXNESS OF BENDING
Plus...
My blog devoted to the cinematic schlocktastic!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:39 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Foywonder wrote:

I saw the first one. The second one from all accounts is just the first one loaded with even more of what I didn't like about the first one. Not seeing jigaboo bots and John Turturro's ass crack is something I can easily declare crap from a distance. No thanks. I'll add nothing further to this thread other than to say Public Enemies opens July 1st.


And yet that takes up a total, at most of 30 minutes of the movie's running time. So from your distance, you haven't seen it, no matter how you spin it. This is NO different than me saying Let the Right One In is an amazing film when all I've seen is a trailer and the people's opinions on it. Don't see it, by all means it's your right, but you have no right in saying a movie you haven't seen is bad. Sorry, but in the world of logic, that doesn't fly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:18 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 1022
Location: On... teh INTERWEB!!1!

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Sorry, but in the world of logic, that doesn't fly.


Wow. Just... wow. It took me a second there but I get it. You claiming that you can use logic for your side was the ultimate example of you being illogical. I win, right?

The last thread I read before this was Foy's G.I. Joe thread where you berated a movie that you have not seen and has not even come out yet. A movie essentially in the same vein as Transformers; a movie based on a line of toys, they both had 80's cartoons and popular comics, both are in the hands of some of Hollywood's most celebrated hacks. Yet in one thread you make the arguments of how this cannot stand, we can judge before we see based on previous works, and how we need to get smarter in our movies. In the other you state how we need to watch the sequel of a movie we did not enjoy rather than assuming it is more of the same (a logical assumption for most sequels) and that not every movie needs to be intelligent and just watching explosions is enough fun in itself (I agree, I just tend to watch Mythbusters instead of Michael Bay movies).

I know you said that you have double standards, but it is hard to take your opinion seriously when you seem to genuinely be arguing both ways on a topic in different threads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:52 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

conundrum wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Sorry, but in the world of logic, that doesn't fly.


Wow. Just... wow. It took me a second there but I get it. You claiming that you can use logic for your side was the ultimate example of you being illogical. I win, right?

The last thread I read before this was Foy's G.I. Joe thread where you berated a movie that you have not seen and has not even come out yet. A movie essentially in the same vein as Transformers; a movie based on a line of toys, they both had 80's cartoons and popular comics, both are in the hands of some of Hollywood's most celebrated hacks. Yet in one thread you make the arguments of how this cannot stand, we can judge before we see based on previous works, and how we need to get smarter in our movies. In the other you state how we need to watch the sequel of a movie we did not enjoy rather than assuming it is more of the same (a logical assumption for most sequels) and that not every movie needs to be intelligent and just watching explosions is enough fun in itself (I agree, I just tend to watch Mythbusters instead of Michael Bay movies).

I know you said that you have double standards, but it is hard to take your opinion seriously when you seem to genuinely be arguing both ways on a topic in different threads.


You're right but guess what? I'm actually going to SEE the movie before I say flat out that it's terrible. At no point did in the GI JOE thread did I say what kind of humor would be involved, or FX, or even how the action would look. Which is what a couple of people are doing here.

I said I'm convinced it's going to be terrible and with the behind the scenes goings on, I'm becoming even more convinced. See, say what you want about these movies but Dreamworks and Paramount are behind them 100%. You don't have reports of Hasbro distancing themselves from them, or the studio firing Bay and rehiring him so he falls flat on his face.

I'm not delusional enough to think that everyone is going to like this movie because they aren't but I'd bet 90% of the people that don't didn't like the first one and probably shouldn't have bothered with this one. I'm not wont to spend money on a sequel to a movie I hated which is why I saw The Mummy Returns on DVD at my ex-girlfriend's house when her mom rented it from Netflix. Like a moron, I actually thought Van Helsing was such a slam dunk for a fun movie that I did pay to see it. And like a moron, I'm going to go see GI JOE because I absolutely loved it growing up. If it sucks, will it mean my childhood was raped? Nope. I'll be more pissed that they had an extremely good well to draw from in the comic books.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grave-Danger
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:47 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 33

I'm with Foy. You damn whippersnappers, with your Transmorphers and your hula hoops and your Etch-a-Sketch. Get off my lawn! Bah!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:58 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Grave-Danger wrote:
I'm with Foy. You damn whippersnappers, with your Transmorphers and your hula hoops and your Etch-a-Sketch. Get off my lawn! Bah!


Says the guy with a picture of Jason from the abortion that was Freddy vs Jason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
X-Count
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:32 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1301
Location: Eating Lo Mein!!!

I won't see this movie. I watched part of the first one in a Wal-Mart on the Blu-ray display and it kinda bored me. I won't see either just because it's not my thing. I heard that Michael Bay went off on the bosses at Paramount over this movie stating that he's sick of doing blockbusters. That was kinda funny.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/abloodyshadow
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=506478793
http://juon408.dvdaf.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MeAndMyMeatCleaver
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:09 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 07 Jul 2006
Posts: 274
Location: When the stars were right

No sir, I don't like it.

Sucks is that I really really enjoyed the first one.
SPOILERS WITHIN
Call me stupid but I thought the first one had characters - not too well drawn but actually tried. It really made all the difference to me. This one didn't even try. Maybe 2 years has made a difference on my humor takes but I didn't laugh once. The humor was 4th grade level and forced. Don't get me started on the BlackFace Twins. Or the the gigantic plot holes you can fit Devastor though.
I expect SOME logic in it. The pyramids hold a sun killing weapon? ANd the people who spend their lives studying the them never noticed it was there (or where the hell Cairo dissapeared to - and replaced by a village with 15 people, some ruins and a goat and not a single tourist to be seen); or Petra having the Primes right behind a single fresco?
Look, it might be a stupid summer action movie but dont' treat the audience like they're morons.

I think what made the first work was Spielberg. I think he actually personally kept Bay on a leash; this time he let Lorenzo di Bonaventura hold the chain and one day..
Di: Hey Stephen.
SS: Hey Di, what's up?
Di: Not much.
SS: Di... where's Michael?
Di: um... yeah. Stephen, Michael has broken his chains and vanished. He is loose and somwhere on the studio grounds?
SS: Ah shit. Di, do you still have your wallet?
Di: ah fuck.
Michael comes in holding film reels
Bay: Hi guys! I made a movie all by myself
Di/SS: Shit.
SS: Where is the money in Di's wallet. Please tell me you have change
Bay: No, I spent it all. I gave most of it to the special effects people. some went to a speech therapist to make Shia say something without stuttering... sorry it didnt' take. the rest i gave to my nephew in the 4th grade to write the script. He is SO FUNNY guys.


I'm tired and done. My argument above is disjoined and half there but I've been the only person in my work center to not love thi smovie like so I'm kinda tired of doing this argument.
_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~Groucho Marx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 2 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum