FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Bad actor ruins good movie!
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

So what movie have you seen that had one actor (or the character he/she played) that was so terrible it damn near ruined or completely ruined said movie?

One that's always pissed me off is Thirteen Ghosts. You could tell a lot of time and effort went into it, with all the crazy ghosts and sets. The story, while simple and predicable, was fine with me also. But that fucking Matthew Lillard. Who the bloody hell cast this retard? Every time he was on screen it was nails on a chalkboard. That guy is in my "If-ever-meet-this-actor-in-a-dark-alley-I'll-beat-the-piss-out-of-him-or-her" book. Funny thing is, SLC Punk is a great movie. So maybe I'll just give him a backhanded compliment.

So what are yours? And you can't say Sofia Coppola for Godfather 3. That movie sucked on it's own.

Edit- spelling. dur.
Avid Fan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Ummm...Keanu Reeves in everything since Rivers Edge.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

Keanu Reeves hasn't ruined any movie I've liked of his though. Speed is still a great action movie, the Matrix is still entertaining, Bram Stoker's Dracula still kicks ass. He was actually GOOD in The Gift. Street Kings wasn't too bad either, it mostly hampered by the predictable script.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Keanu Reeves hasn't ruined any movie I've liked of his though. Speed is still a great action movie, the Matrix is still entertaining, Bram Stoker's Dracula still kicks ass. He was actually GOOD in The Gift. Street Kings wasn't too bad either, it mostly hampered by the predictable script.

Everyone was good in The Gift. Great but seemingly overlooked movie.
He didn't ruin Dracula for me, but I cringed every time he was on screen. Luckily he wasn't in it all that much. I think Ryder did more harm than he did.
I consider Speed a modern day classic. So many movies have been inspired by the kinetic, breakneck speed (yuk yuk) that it was so rightly recognized for.
Frostbyte13
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

I know this is going to get my @ss chewed up, but I hated Christian Bale in Terminator Salvation, everytime he said something it just grated on my nerves. I loved him in Equilibrium, American Psycho, and Dark Knight. I just could not stand him in Terminator Salvation.
krawlingkhaos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:15 pm  Reply with quote

Frostbyte13 wrote:
I know this is going to get my @ss chewed up, but I hated Christian Bale in Terminator Salvation, everytime he said something it just grated on my nerves. I loved him in Equilibrium, American Psycho, and Dark Knight. I just could not stand him in Terminator Salvation.

Moon Bloodgood was pretty horrid in Salvation as well, and the less said about "Pathfinder" the better.

I don't know if horrible miscasting counts, but Dominic Purcell (spelling?) had no business playing Dracula in "Blade Trinity." And I know it isn't even out yet, but I'll go ahead and declare that Scarlett Johansen is going to seriously affect my enjoyment of "Ironman 2."
Rob
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:59 pm  Reply with quote

krawlingkhaos wrote:
I don't know if horrible miscasting counts, but Dominic Purcell (spelling?) had no business playing Dracula in "Blade Trinity." And I know it isn't even out yet, but I'll go ahead and declare that Scarlett Johansen is going to seriously affect my enjoyment of "Ironman 2."

Yes, Dominic was completely wrong for the role of Dracula. If they were going to go with someone who looked more warrior-like go with someone like Eric Bana. But I'd still take him over Ryan Reynolds. The only role where Reynolds did not piss me off was Smokin' Aces.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:26 am  Reply with quote

krawlingkhaos wrote:
Frostbyte13 wrote:

Moon Bloodgood was pretty horrid in Salvation as well, and the less said about "Pathfinder" the better.

Good call on Blade. One of the most nonthreatening Draculas in recent memory.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:54 am  Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
krawlingkhaos wrote:

Yes, Dominic was completely wrong for the role of Dracula. If they were going to go with someone who looked more warrior-like go with someone like Eric Bana. But I'd still take him over Ryan Reynolds. The only role where Reynolds did not piss me off was Smokin' Aces.

Hey, Ryan Reynolds makes a decent deadpool(first fifteen minutes).

Toby Mcguire in spiderman.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Dominic West, who played Jigsaw in Punisher War Zone.
I thought he was terrible. I loved the movie until he came on.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:37 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Renee Zelwegger in:

Chicago
Jerry Maguire
Empire Records

Just about anything she has a role in, starring or minor. I don't know why I have such a strong dislike for her work. I can't explain it.
Emy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

In the foreign films category:

Guillaume Canet

So far, all the movies I have seen with him in have been bad or got on my nerves.

The man sucks the life out of everything he does. I avoid him now as much as possible.
Avid Fan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:

Everyone was good in The Gift. Great but seemingly overlooked movie.
He didn't ruin Dracula for me, but I cringed every time he was on screen. Luckily he wasn't in it all that much. I think Ryder did more harm than he did.
I consider Speed a modern day classic. So many movies have been inspired by the kinetic, breakneck speed (yuk yuk) that it was so rightly recognized for.

I forgot about The Gift, that was a pretty good film. I found him to be good in the Matrix, somehow his stiff acting worked in that role. I draw the line with Dracula though, as much as I liked the look and feel of the film, his acting and character, or lack of character was so out of place in a period film, if he'd uttered the word "dude", it would have at least shown that a character for Jonathan Harker existed.
I've not seen Speed, nor has anyone ever recommended it to me, and only here have I now heard two strong opinions on it's merits. I'll have to give it look-see.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:55 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

The Buz wrote:
Renee Zelwegger in:

Chicago
Jerry Maguire
Empire Records

Just about anything she has a role in, starring or minor. I don't know why I have such a strong dislike for her work. I can't explain it.

Ditto. She's the only reason I haven't seen Appaloosa yet, as everybody I talk to tells me "oh, man, it would've been fucking awesome, but Zelwegger had to go and ruin it ..."

Add to this, anything with Dane Cook. Why do people like John Lennon and Phil Hartman get shot dead, while douchebags like him get to go on living? What the fuck kind of world are we living in, here?
ajburton29
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:00 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Chicago
Jerry Maguire
Empire Records

She was TERRIBLE IN Chicago and everything afterwards.
Oh, The Gift....
the real GIFT of that movie/dvd was getting to see Katie Holmes' PERFECT TITS!!!