FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Red Faction: Guerrilla
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:14 am  Reply with quote

These thoughts are of the first five hours of the game-

Well it's finally here and it was worth the wait. If anyone remembers the PS2 Red Factions, time to forget them. While good on their own, this one is not a FPS but rather a tightly made sandbox game.

The story is about some bad guys called the EDF or Earth Defense Force (hhmmmm, shouldn't they be rocketing giant ants?) on mars suppressing the miners trying to work. Those bastards killed your brother and now they need a mining boot up their rectum, and you're just the man with big feet! Story's kinda weak, but you don't play this type of game for a story do you? I didn't think so.

You play this type of game to blow shit up. And boy howdy, do we ever. It never reaches the Mercenaries-scale of destruction, but where else can you level a building with a hammer? Oh, you have some pretty neat explosives to play around with, but the hammer truly is the star of the show. Running up on a sucka and bringing the hammer down on his skull never gets old.

When you need some firepower, this game has it in spades. Your typical shotty-pistol-machine gun combo make an appearance, but lucky for you the resistance has some nifty homemade weapons to sell you. One of my favorites so far is the arc welder. Remember the zap-o ray from Destroy All Humans? It's like that only cooler. Stun somebody with it then bring out the hammer. God I love that thing.

The driving sections are nicely designed. The roads are pretty linear and it's hard to get lost with a big yellow arrow showing you where to go. exploration doesn't play a big part in RF:G, as there are really no collectibles to find except some EDF crates to smash. I for one like the way it turned out, as you spend more time driving and wrecking havoc than wandering around getting lost.

All in all a pretty solid game with very little against it. Definitely worth a rent, and depending on the length and replayability, $60. What did you guys think?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

I rented it and will give it a shot. I've enjoyed the past Red Faction games although they never seemed to live up to expectations but this sounds altogether different.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

I think they've finally delivered what they've been promising since the first game. Pretty fun although it's hard for me to stay involved in these sand box games. Far Cry 2 has done the best job of making me want to keep going of any of them. Something about that game is just fun.