FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Star Trek TOS motion pictures on Blu-ray
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

I'm in the process of watching the 6 TOS motion pictures on Blu-Ray. I just wanted a place to discuss the original movies if anyone would like to. As far as I know the only one they truly remastered was Wrath of Khan which is my favorite Star Trek movie. I'll be watching it tonight.

First up was Star Trek The Motion Picture. I know alot of people don't like this one but I've always thought it was pretty cool. I liked the idea of Vger. A Voyager probe gets sucked through a Blach Hole and ends up in a new universe where it comes in contact with a world run by machines (Maybe a precursor to The Terminator/The Matrix/The Borg) Not very action packed but good Star Trek nonetheless.

Very clean visuals it's never looked better but it's nothing mind blowing.
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:35 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Watch the bonus feature credits... Wink
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Watch the bonus feature credits... Wink

Will do.

By the way I do have a kickass 42" Samsung LCD HDTV which looks better than any TV I've ever owned so I can comment on the video quality but no surround sound sadly so I won't be able to discuss the audio.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

"Revenge is a dish best served cold. It is very cold in space."

The Wrath of Khan is by far my favorite Star Trek movie. Ricardo Montalban plays the part of Khan Noonien Singh to perfection and creates one of the greatest villians of any science fiction movie. Escaping his exile and taking over the Reliant and stealing Project Genesis isn't enough. He will stop at nothing to destroy Admiral James T. Kirk and the Enterprise. As much as I enjoy Star Trek The Motion Picture and the spectacle of seeing the Enterprise on the big screen for the first time it was lacking in many areas. The Wrath of Khan makes up for this with what I think is the smartest written movie with great dialogue throughout and of course space combat and Kirstie Allie(?) as a pretty hot looking Vulcan. It has its intense moments and of course several heart touching moments most notably the death of Spock.

The movie looks jaw dropping in HD. They really did an amazing job of remastering it but I'm missing half the experience as I can't listen to the new audio in 7.1 Dolby TrueHD. I can only imagine how incredible it must sound.

I think I've burned myself out on Star Wars as I'd much rather watch The Wrath of Khan than The Empire Strikes Back. Star Trek may not be as epic as Star Wars but I grew up watching the crew of the Enterprise and am much more familiar with them than I am Luke Skywalker.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:19 am  Reply with quote

Star Trek III - The Search For Spock

I love how parts II, III and IV are one continuous story line. Kirk gets put through the ringer in parts II and III. Who says Shatner can't act? This time he loses his son who was executed by the Klingons. The villian is Christopher Lloyd as Cmdr Kruge. He was an odd choice for the role but he pulls it off amazingly well. The full Klingon language was developed for this movie to be used in all future movies and shows and it gave Trekkies a new language to learn. It's a fairly fast moving movie imo not because it's action packed because it's not but because the story keeps me interested from beginning to end. The Enterprise gets destroyed and Kirk and company wind up taking over a Bird of Prey. I love the Bird of Prey, such an awesome ship design.

The only thing that gets me about this movie is how exactely did Spock come back to life? Did his body revert back into a baby or child? Ahh, it's Star Trek.

Again the movie has never looked so good and I'm wondering if I'm mistaken about The Wrath of Khan being the only one remastered in HD because so far they've all looked incredible just not as eye popping as Serenity but the Star Trek movies are pushing 30.

Time to go home.
David
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:41 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Again the movie has never looked so good and I'm wondering if I'm mistaken about The Wrath of Khan being the only one remastered in HD because so far they've all looked incredible just not as eye popping as Serenity but the Star Trek movies are pushing 30.

I think you were right the first time. I believe The Wrath of Khan was the only one to have a brand new transfer. I read that the others are the old HD masters from the DVDs.

What happened to your surround sound, Floyd? I thought you used to have a 7.1 setup.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:06 am  Reply with quote

David wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

I think you were right the first time. I believe The Wrath of Khan was the only one to have a brand new transfer. I read that the others are the old HD masters from the DVDs.

What happened to your surround sound, Floyd? I thought you used to have a 7.1 setup.

Yeah, I thought I had read that but really they all have looked outstanding so far.

I never had a 7.1 setup. Actually I don't have my old surround sound setup either. It couldn't have handled HDMI anyway so I still needed to upgrade. I'll have to watch every movie I have over again when I do get it going.
MeAndMyMeatCleaver
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:49 am  Reply with quote

I don't have surround sound either and only a 22 inch HD tv. but Bluray still looks fantastic

I have not picked up this box set yet - but I did get th Bluray of Season 1 TOS.
omg does it look great.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

MeAndMyMeatCleaver wrote:
I have not picked up this box set yet - but I did get th Bluray of Season 1 TOS.
omg does it look great.

As soon as I'm done with the movies I'm going to start on Season 1. I haven't even watched any of the special features yet. I wonder when TNG movies are going to be released. The new Star Trek was good but even if it had been bad it's still nice to see all this Star Trek love. There's some pretty cool action figures out there as well.
David
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

I was actually shocked by how good Star Trek season 1 looked in HD. There is a good amount of detail on display most of the time and those 60's colors really pop. They also deserve praise for including seamless branching for the old and new effects and soundtrack. My preference is for the old effects and the new DTS HD MA track so you can hear that old model of the Enterprise whoosh from the front to the back speakers during the opening credits. Nice!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

David wrote:
I was actually shocked by how good Star Trek season 1 looked in HD. There is a good amount of detail on display most of the time and those 60's colors really pop. They also deserve praise for including seamless branching for the old and new effects and soundtrack. My preference is for the old effects and the new DTS HD MA track so you can hear that old model of the Enterprise whoosh from the front to the back speakers during the opening credits. Nice!

I have never watched it with the new effects. It's definitely cool that you can switch back and forth. I'm sure it looks out of place but I'm interested in seeing it.
MeAndMyMeatCleaver
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:43 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, it kinda out of place much of the time; this is usually for the obvious ones like shots of Enterprise and planets. but in others they updated matte paintings and backgrounds it really does make it feel better in a way.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:31 am  Reply with quote

I find it odd that they would come out with 2 box sets for these. The one I got with all 6 movies but then there's a cheaper one with only Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and The Voyage Home. They haven't released these individually that I'm aware of.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

After spending 3 months on Vulcan making repairs to their stolen Bird Of Prey they dub the HMS Bounty and awaiting Spock's almost return to normal Kirk and company head back to Earth to face the consequences of their actions. Beating them to Earth, however, is an alien probe that has been sent to Earth to find out why they have lost contact with the now extinct Humpback Whale. The probe is tearing Earth apart and it's up to Kirk and his crew to once again save the Earth from destruction this time by traveling back in time and bringing whales back to the 23rd Century to respond to the probe.

When I saw this movie for the first time in the theatre I didn't like it very much. No combat. No spaceships. No Enterprise, well it does make an appearance in the final minutes of the movie. I couldn't appreciate it. As I got older though I realized just how funny and damn entertaining the movie was. Now I place it just behind Wrath of Khan as one of my favorite Star Trek movies. Spock trying to swear is hysterical.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Spock's half-brother takes over the Enterprise and takes her and her crew through the Great Barrier to find God.

I love the opening scene to this movie. On the hot desert of Nimbus III a man is digging holes and sees a cloaked rider approaching through the haze. Foe a few seconds it seems as though The Final Frontier might be something special and different. Of course, that feeling fades fast once the movie gets going and turns out to be not much better than a 2 hour episode. Which isn't really a bad thing. It's just the weakest of the TOS movies but still highly enjoyable.