FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> Judas Priest - Nostradamus
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

Rob sounds amazing on this one and the guitar work is insane. This album definitely melts my face everytime I listen to it. Awesome stuff.

The metal God has returned.
Lantern Man
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

Location: an hour south of Tampa... just follow the "old man" smell.

Floydian Trip wrote:
Rob sounds amazing on this one and the guitar work is insane. This album definitely melts my face everytime I listen to it. Awesome stuff.

The metal God has returned.

Until I read your post, I hadn't even known they had a new album. I'm listening to it now, on Napster. It's not bad, so far.

"Screaming for Vengeance" was one of the first albums I ever bought. Not to betray my age too much, but it was on cassette! Shocked

I saw them in concert once. It must have been around the time either "Turbo Lover," or "Ram it Down" came out, as I seem to remember them playing both at that concert.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Cool! Another fan. I've never seen Judas Priest live but I did see Halford when he was solo a few years back and he sounded great. He was opening for Maiden. Queensryche played as well. What a show that was.

I have all of his solo albums and the last Priest album after they reunited and they are all good but this one is tight. You may need to listen to it several times to really get into it the way I do now. All I hear now are amazing vocals and blistering guitar solos even if some of the lyrics are a bit goofy. The opening to the album kicks my ass. I love it.

This is definitely in contention with Opeth for metal album of the year. I can't really decide which is better just yet. Those are the only two albums I'm listening to right now though so after a hundred listens or so I'll be able to decide.
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:27 am  Reply with quote

I like Nostradamus too. In style it reminds me a lot of Bruce Dickinson's The Chemical Wedding which makes sense because both are concept albums about prominent occultists in history.

I also saw JP live at Roskilde Festival this summer. Great show, a pity they only had two songs from Nostradamus because a band with this long a career has at least 20 signature songs they have to fit in every time they perform live! Laughing
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

The Chemical Wedding. Another great album.

Thank God all these guys got back together.

The Metal Gods

Iron Maiden - Bruce Dickenson
Judas Priest - Rob Halford
Black Sabbath
ajburton29
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:04 am  Reply with quote

I went to Ozzfest (for the last time Annoyed ) back in the summer of 2004.
The ONLY good thing about the whole day was seeing Judas Priest and Black Sabbath at the end of the night.
All the other bands on the bill can suck my balls.
edit* oops, forgot Lacuna Coil was there. I like them.
What The Cat Dragged In
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:47 am  Reply with quote

I quite disliked the new album actually. I'm still in the line of thinking that Priest's best era was in the 70s. The music was more adventurous and the lyrics actually were profound. Nowadays, they'll put any two words together as long as they rhyme.

Halford sounds okay. He did a fine job when I saw him on the "Metal Masters Tour," but he didn't do so hot on "Dissidant Aggressor" or "Painkiller."

If I had to pick a favorite on the new album, I'd pick the last song. It's actually pretty badass. "Alone" is good too. Much of the others are muddled down with bad keyboards and generic riffs.
GL
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

This was an odd one for me;

First of all, everyone went in saying that it was such a departure for Priest as they were know playing European-style Symphonic Metal instead of the usual thunderous Priest style, even though I'm a fan of that kind of music. I enjoy it and thought that was a weird way of putting it down.

The problem was, I was a huge fan of Angel ofRetribution and thought it was a fantastic record that contained one of my all-time favorites in their entire catalog, Hellrider, and not being familiar with the theme at all, didn't know what to expect.

It took about two listens to really get into it and enjoy it. There's some damn good stuff there: it flows nicely, the guitars are explosive and Halford is still the man. Some of the songs aren't that bad, either, with Pestilence and Plague, Death, Persecution and Nostradamus being quite enjoyable songs. I'm liking this more and more with each listen.