FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Pirates Of The Caribbean : Dead Man's Chest
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:09 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Amaya wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

you really should, it's a great movie, depp was awesome (at least imo)

I know, I know, and I will. I dropped the ball. At least though I'll have the pleasure of watching the first one and then watching the second nearly back to back, both for the first time. Laughing
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Lunablix
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:16 am  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

Yes you must see the first. Laughing It's a great fun movie.
Amaya
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:14 am  Reply with quote

Tristan Sinns wrote:
Amaya wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

you really should, it's a great movie, depp was awesome (at least imo)

I know, I know, and I will. I dropped the ball. At least though I'll have the pleasure of watching the first one and then watching the second nearly back to back, both for the first time. Laughing

hmmm, i see your point there
Sirand
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:52 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

'Pirates' is one of those rare movies that appeals to damn near everybody, although I think it's 99% due to Cap'n Jack. Without the genius of Johnny Depp, these would be just average Hollywood summer movies.
FatKid8Me
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:58 am  Reply with quote

i'd give Dead man's chest a C
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:28 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

YO HO YO HO A THREE STOOGES LIFE FOR MEEEEE!!!

Upon the opening scenes of crows pecking out the eyes of prisoners hanging above a crickety bridge that leads to a flaming castle, I could not believe that this was a disney movie and to the fact that they had that much balls to do that in the first few minutes meant that this movie was going to be bad ass.

Or so I thought. Now I love the first one. It has a perfect balance of horror, comedy, action, and romance. This movie was all slap stick. It had its spectacular moments, and awesome fights and creatues, but the overuse of "cute" comedy ruined it for me. The whole film feels like one big gag reel for CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW! And the sword fights are near worthless. When I see a sword fight I want to see two (or three) people trying to kill each other. Not saying witty lines as they touch their swords in the designated air space in front of them. The Kracken was great though, as was Davey Jones. In all perfect honesty though it felt like the second matrix. They even have a semi retarded rave scene...except it's a worthless bar fight. So coupled with three stooges antics, ridiculous pretentious subplot, and some great bad ass monsters, I give it a
5/10
Lunablix
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:31 pm  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

Sad
Splatman
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:34 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Entertainment Weekly just slaughtered it. Here is a link:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/06/ew.mov.pirates/index.html

www.lonewolffx.com
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Kinda sucks, since the designs for the bad guys are much cooler that the first one.

How could you not like a creature design that looks like Cthulhu?

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:31 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

That's what I thought.

But it really does just...blah.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Sad
Sonny
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

Hell, I loved it. Thought for sure it was the best movie of the Summer. It never takes itself seriously and it knows how to have FUN. A lot of movies just forgot how to do that. The effects were some of the best stuff I've ever seen committed to film, I think Davey Jones even beat Gollum, much more complicated and much more cooler, plus his crew was incredible. The Kraken attacks just kinda left me in awe, I could on about the effects all day. But the story was a kick, I loved not ever knowing what characters were headed where, Sparrow was much more of a badguy in this one, matter of fact, Orlando was the only one who was truly honorable and noble, everyone else, even Kiera did some shady stuff. I liked that, you never know when someone was going to turn on someone else.

And just when it seems like things are getting too cartoony, something would happen that would just dampen everything. That's hard to do in a movie like this.

Not only do I think this is one of the best sequels ever made, but it makes the first movie BETTER. All the references, returning characters and little nods perfectly complements the first film. The swordfights are especially creative, they were really inventive, really fun stuff.

It does run a bit long in the middle and it's so BIG it kind of makes your head hurt, but that's a good thing.

As for the ending.... man...I didn't see it coming...and it's a stroke of genius, I really went nuts, it was pretty perfect. I can't wait for the next one.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:07 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Sonny wrote:
Hell, I loved it. Thought for sure it was the best movie of the Summer. It never takes itself seriously and it knows how to have FUN. A lot of movies just forgot how to do that. The effects were some of the best stuff I've ever seen committed to film, I think Davey Jones even beat Gollum, much more complicated and much more cooler, plus his crew was incredible. The Kraken attacks just kinda left me in awe, I could on about the effects all day. But the story was a kick, I loved not ever knowing what characters were headed where, Sparrow was much more of a badguy in this one, matter of fact, Orlando was the only one who was truly honorable and noble, everyone else, even Kiera did some shady stuff. I liked that, you never know when someone was going to turn on someone else.

And just when it seems like things are getting too cartoony, something would happen that would just dampen everything. That's hard to do in a movie like this.

Not only do I think this is one of the best sequels ever made, but it makes the first movie BETTER. All the references, returning characters and little nods perfectly complements the first film. The swordfights are especially creative, they were really inventive, really fun stuff.

It does run a bit long in the middle and it's so BIG it kind of makes your head hurt, but that's a good thing.

As for the ending.... man...I didn't see it coming...and it's a stroke of genius, I really went nuts, it was pretty perfect. I can't wait for the next one.

Pretty much proves my point. Unbalanced movie. It did not know what it wanted to be.

But I agree, the ending was awesome, and making Jack more of a bad guy was a good plan too..but he was still wishy washy and soft.

But overall..it was just a big explosions extraveganza riding the success of the first film and making it blatently so.
Screamz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:28 am  Reply with quote

I don't know about this one. I'm not a huge fan of the first one, I mean it was good and all, just not all that great. Depp was great - as usual - but I've seen him do better in other films.

As for this sequel, what I've heard and read has been split right down the middle. My family wants to go see it this weekend, but I'm debating about seeing Superman again instead... I dunno
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:41 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Can't disagree more with Atomic here. Saw it last night and loved it more than any movie in a very long time. A perfect sequel, not better or worse than the original, just a perfect continuation.

Oh, and I dunno what everyone else is saying, this belongs on the home page. This is, at least to a great extent, a balls-out horror movie. Considering this is a Disney film (and it IS, Hollywood Pictures is no more) the level of gore and violence is incredible. Seen many other Disney films where the hero gets decked out with a necklace made from severed human toes? Thought not.

Davy Jones and his crew are grotesque and scary as hell, the threat of eternal damnation is constant, and the balance between slapstick comedy, high adventure, swashbuckling, and dramatic tension is -perfect-.

Go see it, post haste.