FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Masters of Horror Season 2
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I had the chance to sit down and watch a screener of the first three episodes from the upcoming season last night.

The first was John Landis' "Family," which comes off like a decent "Tales From the Crypt" episode crossed with "Parents." While it may be the goriest thing Landis has ever done, it's still played mostly for dark laughs. George Wendt is quite good, but the whole affair could've been much creepier had it been played straight.

Next up, Tobe Hooper's adaptation of Ambrose Bierce's "The Damned Thing" is ferocious and fantastic. Seriously, it's probably the best thing he's done in years. This one moves like a crazed, gory rocket, culminating in a genuinely unexpected and disturbing ending. Excellent stuff -- it's one of the series' best episodes. I was so impressed that I actually watched it twice.

Finally, there's Ernest Dickerson's "The V-Word," which is based on a script by Mick Garris. And that's the problem here, as this may be the most pedantic, cliched vampire script I've ever seen. So typical that it could've been concocted on the spot by a ten-year old. The only thing worthwhile is Dickerson's exceptional eye and skill behind the camera -- he was formerly Spike Lee's cinematographer, and it shows, as the episode drips with color and style. Still, it can't save a hackneyed script.

The scorecard so far: one decent, one exceptional, and one bad. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season shakes out.
bschulte
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:18 am  Reply with quote

I'm glad the Bierce adaptation worked out. I was excited when I saw that title. For those of you who've never read Bierce...SHAME ON YOU!!!!! This guy was seriously messed up by his experiences in the Civil War. His dark, cynical humor is great... Razz
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:29 am  Reply with quote

It's contemporized, expanded upon and amped up, but it certainly captures the essence of Bierce's very short story. It helps immeasurably that Richard Christian Matheson pulled scripting duties on this one. There was something of a down-home Lovecraftian feel to the original work, and that's very present here. It's also notable that all these new episodes have their own distinctive visual styles, something that was problematic in the first season; those early episodes mostly look the same. Hooper's story takes place in Texas (of course) and the whole thing feels sun-drenched and stagnant. Unlike the story, we do get a teensy bit of explanation of The Damned Thing's origins (which works out just fine) as well as a view of it at the climax -- and it's quite a sight to behold.

I'll be surprised if any of the other directors top this episode.

By the way, here's a link to the Bierce story.

http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/abierce/bl-abierce-damned.htm
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:57 am  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I wasn't much of a fan of the first season of Masters of Horrors, but this season sounds to be an improvement.
KittyPryde
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

I hate even reading about this series. I don't have showtime or know anybody that has showtime. So, I have to wait for the DVDs. I didn't even know about Series One until the dvds started coming out. So that wasn't bad but this series is gonna be painstaking. I'll know about it, read about it, hear about it but not be able to see it!!!!!
Br00tality
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

i feel ya, we're way to cheap to get a cable box, i have HSI and basic cable. i really dont watch tv at all, except news, history and discovery, and sometimes a sitcom, seldomly. I do miss IFC and some programming on the movie networks though..but i can wait for the dvds. I would rather have the whole package.
KRyOGeNiX
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

I can't wait to see George Wendt in another flick. I liked him in House or House 2 whatever one it was. I look forward especially to his episode, thanks for the heads up! Mr. Green
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:12 am  Reply with quote

Sounds positive. When does Season 2 premiere on Showtime?
bschulte
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Kaisersoze wrote:

Friday October 27 at 10 PM Eastern.
Borgosi
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

I bought all of season one the day they were released and I liked all but two of them, so I will do the same with season two.
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:08 am  Reply with quote

Looks good-don't have Showtime-don't want to give the cable co one more dime than I have to. Will check the series out as its released on DVD.

Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:09 am  Reply with quote

bschulte wrote:
Kaisersoze wrote:

Friday October 27 at 10 PM Eastern.

Thanks. People should also check the news article detailing each ep up on DC now.
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:07 am  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Yep, got a breakdown of the entire season with only five missing solid air dates. Dig it!

Mesiah, any chance you'd be interested in reviewing "The Damned Thing" for us? I'm not sure why I've not received mine yet, but I want to have a review for the premiere ep ASAP. E-mail me and lemme know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bschulte
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Johnny Butane wrote:
Yep, got a breakdown of the entire season with only five missing solid air dates. Dig it!

Johnny,

In that article you mention that the series debuts at 9 PM. That's 9 PM Central, isn't it? Showtime's web site shows the first airing at 10 Eastern / 9 Central the last time I checked. I just wanted to make sure everyone is clear on that so no one misses it. Smile
rainbowtrout
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

I hope the eps are actually SCARY, and not just gory.

And I'm concerned that politics will ruin a couple eps, but hopefully they won't be as heavy handed and awkward as Dante's awful Homecoming.