FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Jet Li's Fearless
Lunablix
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:22 am  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

I saw it tonight and thought it was great. It makes me want to seek out eastern martial arts again to learn. The fighting scenes were awesome. The whole story in general was great. The look and feel of the film itself was fantastic. I think since it was also based on a true story/person it had a different feel then most.

So has anyone else seen this?
Finnegan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:23 am  Reply with quote

I don't want to disappoint you but studying eastern martial arts probably won't allow you to fly around and do many incredible flips in addition to becoming an effective martial arts fighter.

I haven't seen it yet, but Jet Li hasn't really let me down in the past - I plan to see it soon, and I'm sure it'll be amazing.
Lunablix
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:30 am  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

That I know. I tried taking Ba Gua with my mother but I can't learn stuff with her. The reason I rather learn eastern martial arts is because it's not about beating someone up it's about feeling another's energy and teaching yourself self restraint and desciplin. Plus alot of the stances and moves are taken from animals.
Morbid
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:03 am  Reply with quote

Saw it with my son today. They took extreme liberties with the story, but that's par for the course, I guess. Great action flick. The fighting was good, the scenery was fantastic when actually filming on sets (the restaraunt was beautiful, and the village center was pretty believable), so-so when doing large shots showing city-scapes.

Possible spoilers:

My only gripe with the entire film was the quick about-face his friend did. I wish they could have better explained at just how humiliated they were and how a simple fight challenge would have had his friend, who disowned him, do such a drastic change that he would sell his restaraunt to help. I dunno how they would have done it, but maybe they could have shaved some time off the small farming village he stayed at.
Lunablix
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:20 am  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

Morbid wrote:
Saw it with my son today. They took extreme liberties with the story, but that's par for the course, I guess. Great action flick. The fighting was good, the scenery was fantastic when actually filming on sets (the restaraunt was beautiful, and the village center was pretty believable), so-so when doing large shots showing city-scapes.

Possible spoilers:

My only gripe with the entire film was the quick about-face his friend did. I wish they could have better explained at just how humiliated they were and how a simple fight challenge would have had his friend, who disowned him, do such a drastic change that he would sell his restaraunt to help. I dunno how they would have done it, but maybe they could have shaved some time off the small farming village he stayed at.

***Spoilers***
Well I don't think he disowned him completely because if you remember when he goes back to his home the guy told him that his friend was the one that paid the money so the house wouldn't foreclose.

On a side note it seems that the westerners (well atleast it's government) still haven't learned their lessons from past failures of trying to change a country.
Morbid
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:44 am  Reply with quote

Lunablix wrote:
Morbid wrote:

Possible spoilers:

***Spoilers***
Well I don't think he disowned him completely because if you remember when he goes back to his home the guy told him that his friend was the one that paid the money so the house wouldn't foreclose.

On a side note it seems that the westerners (well atleast it's government) still haven't learned their lessons from past failures of trying to change a country.

***Spoilers***

Even though he disowned him, he was not a heartless guy. But my problem was not from that, it was from the denial of lending him the money, to then lending him the money and ultimately selling his restaraunt seemingly over a newspaper article. That was not the only reason, of course, but I felt they didn't convey that too well.
Lunablix
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:50 am  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

Morbid wrote:
Lunablix wrote:
Morbid wrote:

Possible spoilers:

***Spoilers***

***Spoilers***

Even though he disowned him, he was not a heartless guy. But my problem was not from that, it was from the denial of lending him the money, to then lending him the money and ultimately selling his restaraunt seemingly over a newspaper article. That was not the only reason, of course, but I felt they didn't convey that too well.

Ok. I can understand that. They did rush it when it came to that. But sometimes that does happen with friends. I know I've done it before especially if it's a childhood friend.
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:09 am  Reply with quote

Brilliant fight scene do not compensate for a completly cliched story*. Especially one marketed as the most important martial arts epic ever filmed.

*I can't believe I actually wrote that.
Finnegan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:40 am  Reply with quote

It wasn't really marketed as the most important martial arts film epic ever made, it was just marketed as Jet Li's last. People of this era associate kung-fu films with Jet Li, instead of his counterpart Donnie Yen and Jackie Chan, who is somewhat oldschool nowdays anyway.

I haven't yet seen this film but I think it will be good, but not great.
Lunablix
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:26 pm  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

I wouldn't called it clique since it is based on an actual person.
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:55 am  Reply with quote

Perhaps I was being a bit harsh. The marketing over here, IIRC, was something along the lines of "Jet Li's last and most important martial arts epic ever".

The fact it has a historical base didn't save it for me.
Lunablix
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:37 pm  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

Kaisersoze wrote:
Perhaps I was being a bit harsh. The marketing over here, IIRC, was something along the lines of "Jet Li's last and most important martial arts epic ever".

The fact it has a historical base didn't save it for me.

Oh see I didn't see much marketing here but then again I don't watch much of regular t.v. Maybe they were just trying to get the hype of it because it's his last martial arts film. I dunno

But all in all I think the film was good.
Emy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

We saw this last weekend and I like it a lot. I think Todd did too.

I thought the story was good and the historical stuff close to the truth. The costumes seem really accurate as opposed to lot of movies I have recently seen.
flashback
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

I assume jet lee will continue to do action films with martial arts in them like chuck norris did.

zombies , they creep me out.
Fake Shemp
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

I just got this on DVD, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Hopefully I can get to it this week Very Happy