FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> R.I.P. Charles L. Grant
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.dreadcentral.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=471

I was a huge fan. He was one of the most prolific and skilled horror craftsmen around. His books never sold in King or Koontz numbers but every writer working on the genre acknowledged his enormous skill.

For me, out of all of his books I have read, his masterpiece was RAVEN. At first it comes off like another AND THEN THERE WERE NONE riff but Grant's prose and story construction are so uniquely unsettling and atmospheric.

Grant worked in a style he himself dubbed ‘quiet horror’. This style is much more low-key, using ambiguous, often unseen terrors and well-developed characters to get his scares rather than standard exploitation horror devices like graphic violence and gore. And I think RAVEN is the epitome of the class, craftsmanship and originality that defines Grant’s writing.

With RAVEN Grant took Agatha Christie’s seminal archetype and stripped it of virtually every cliché you have ever seen in the genre; though some of the characters do at first seem a bit ‘stock’ in their personalities, like the burnt out ex-cop with a tragic-but-vague past, the hooker with a heart of gold, the sensitive, slow-witted cook and his crush on the wise-ass waitress and so on.

But how Grant brings these familiar elements together and makes them work is a wonder to behold. Chiefly among these is that when the story’s main threat is revealed the entire company does exactly what they should do, and STAYS TOGETHER!! In fact, the killer is in plain sight every time someone is about to die. Most times someone actually points and says: “Look, there’s the killer!”

R.I.P. Charles L. Grant. We need more like you.
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:36 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

RIP
shadogrrrl
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

R.I.P.
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:08 pm  Reply with quote

I enjoyed his work. Wish there were more horror authors like him. RIP.

Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:38 am  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

He was one of the best, and he will be missed dearly. I'm just glad he got to go out in the way he wanted; at home with his family.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
xfoley8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

I've been a huge fan of his short stories ever since his contribution to the Dark Forces anthology from the early 80's (I think the title was "A Garden of Black-Red Roses"). He was a master at creating dread out of atmosphere, and his characters were often still sympathetic even though they had made horrible decisions or acted in some terrible way, which always made the horrors that befell them that much more terrifying. His wise editiorship of the 80's Shadows anthologies exposed many of the best horror writers of that era to a wider audience. Many of them are still churning out great stuff today.

RIP. We've lost one of the greats.