FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Wii Launch and Price - From Nintendo
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Many gaming sites have already posted this news today.

The Wii will launch in the US on November 19th and will cost $249.99. It will come packed with the Wii remote we've been seeing and the Nunchuck bar. What sets this little launch apart from more recent ones is that a game will be included. 5 games to be precise. With a purchase of a Wii system you will get five sports games so you can test out the new gimmick that Nintendo believes will change the way we game ... just like the Power Glove did, wait maybe not.

Luckily the Wii will be able to play 500+ Gamecube titles out of the box and you can download classics from NES all the way through N64 for a price.

Enough of the news, I am rather disappointed in the price. The Wii is not a graphics powerhouse and the interactivity between the player and game seems like something that could wear thin like many of Nintendo's past gimmicks.

Let's say someone doesn't have broadband (which is still a high number) why not just pay the extra $50 for an XBOX 360 core? You won't be going online but you will be able to play plenty of great titles. I think Nintendo is banking too much on the remote and physical aspect. I commend them for constantly trying something new, but when you are entering the Hi-Def era of gaming with XBOX 1 graphics it's best to set yourself at a lower cost.

Do not get me wrong. I fully plan on picking one up myself, but since I still own a PS2 and 360 I don't really see the need for a $250 Gamecube+ just so I can swing a remote around and download Super Mario Brothers. At least you can still use the classic GameCube controllers with the Wii.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:18 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Five games is cool, but all SPORTS? UC will not be happy. Shame on you
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

Well, it's Wii Sports games so they may not be what you think. If there's one where I get to bash Mario senseless for only putting out 1 Mario adventure per 5 years then I will be happy.
reno
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:55 am  Reply with quote

wow. next-gen console are so pricy these days. ps3, xbox and now this...
sure, 250 doesnt seem a lot but you gotta by at least one memory card and each additionnal controller is 60$! thats more than a game!

i, for one, am quite happy with only my ds and probably will be for the next 5 years.

and probably will rent ps3 a few times to play metal gear, finalfantasy and resident evil. but beside that....
ThatOneGuy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:14 am  Reply with quote

I'll buy one.

Oh my. Uncle Creepy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I plan on buying it on launch day, and spinning around with it going "WIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!"

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Murder
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

I can't wait to play Red Steel! Mortal Kombat
Br00tality
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:53 pm  Reply with quote

nintendo is good for the kids
it will do well, but the games will probably be medicore. except for the launch one's well have to see

os3 and it's blu-ray hell is delayed yet again.

pc gaming is where it's at.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:57 am  Reply with quote

Nintendo would do much better to rethink their console line and go third party, like SEGA did.

While Nintendo has control of the handheld market it is not going to regain the saddle from MS and Sony.

Nearly every first party game from Nintendo is excellent but since they are so few and far between (except the god damn Mario Party line) it's not really worth an upfront purchase of a new system, for me at least.

While I really want the new Zelda and Mario games, I think I can wait it out long enough for a price drop.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:
Nintendo would do much better to rethink their console line and go third party, like SEGA did.

I disagree. You just have to look at Sega's output of games since they shut down their hardware division to see that. The quality has been dropping since doing so, the Sonic series is a boring mess, and they haven't really been as sharp or as focused as they once were. They made a lot of great stuff for the Dreamcast, but since then, it's been downhill, IMO.

I think Nintendo, just on the strength of their handheld division and their Japanese fanbase, can weather almost anything that's thrown at them. Right now, I'm more excited on what can be done with the Wii and it's downloadable games from the past than I am about playing anything from PS3. I think that says a lot about where they stand right now.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
Kryten Syxx wrote:

I disagree. You just have to look at Sega's output of games since they shut down their hardware division to see that. The quality has been dropping since doing so, the Sonic series is a boring mess, and they haven't really been as sharp or as focused as they once were. They made a lot of great stuff for the Dreamcast, but since then, it's been downhill, IMO.

I think Nintendo, just on the strength of their handheld division and their Japanese fanbase, can weather almost anything that's thrown at them. Right now, I'm more excited on what can be done with the Wii and it's downloadable games from the past than I am about playing anything from PS3. I think that says a lot about where they stand right now.

Team Sonic sucked hard after Sonic Adventure even when the Dreamcast was kicking. The Dreamcasts main problem was the flood of Arcade games.

Nintendo makes similar mistakes. While I did enjoy many games on the Gamecube, the overall focus on child friendly titles turned off a lot of people especially those that already had PS2s. If they had pushed out another Mario adventure or at least a new Zelda title things would have been grand.

I wouldn't doubt the Wii will do better than the PS3 (thanks to that $500 price tag for the base model). Maybe this advantage will turn publishers/developers Nintendo's way this time around.
Robocop's Sad Side
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Red Steel is going to fucking rule.

I've also heard that a different Resident Evil is coming to the console (not to be confused with Xbox 360's RE 5), which gets me excited, because pt 4 was fantastic.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

Robocop's Sad Side wrote:
Red Steel is going to fucking rule.

I've also heard that a different Resident Evil is coming to the console (not to be confused with Xbox 360's RE 5), which gets me excited, because pt 4 was fantastic.

Yup, more info here.

http://dreadcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2642

conundrum
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:37 pm  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:

While Nintendo has control of the handheld market it is not going to regain the saddle from MS and Sony.

...and? As long as they are still making money what does it matter what place they are in?

In addition, Nintendo currently is sitting pretty for this segment of the "console wars." 360, despite being very popular in the US and Europe, is still not taking off in Japan. PS3 is really starting to alienate even the faithful between the missed launch dates, the constantly dumbed down features, the mediocre launch titles, and the high sticker price. Now Nintendo is coming out with something hot and new, with a KILLER launch lineup (Red Steel, Zelda, Madden, come on, when was the last time you saw a launch that good) the Nintendo name, a cheap price, and around 4 times as many units as Sony. Lastly, in my experience when most people are asked what two consoles they would want to own it would be PS3 OR 360 and Wii.

What does all of this mean? They will probably be number two in the US and maybe number one in Japan at least for a while. And long term they may be the popular second console to own. And as cheap as it is looking to be that could shoot them up quite high.

As for me? I have already paid off Zelda and will put in a pre-order for the console itself as soon as stores start taking them.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:14 am  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:
Kryten Syxx wrote:

...and? As long as they are still making money what does it matter what place they are in?

In addition, Nintendo currently is sitting pretty for this segment of the "console wars." 360, despite being very popular in the US and Europe, is still not taking off in Japan. PS3 is really starting to alienate even the faithful between the missed launch dates, the constantly dumbed down features, the mediocre launch titles, and the high sticker price. Now Nintendo is coming out with something hot and new, with a KILLER launch lineup (Red Steel, Zelda, Madden, come on, when was the last time you saw a launch that good) the Nintendo name, a cheap price, and around 4 times as many units as Sony. Lastly, in my experience when most people are asked what two consoles they would want to own it would be PS3 OR 360 and Wii.

What does all of this mean? They will probably be number two in the US and maybe number one in Japan at least for a while. And long term they may be the popular second console to own. And as cheap as it is looking to be that could shoot them up quite high.

As for me? I have already paid off Zelda and will put in a pre-order for the console itself as soon as stores start taking them.

Their place in the "war" does matter as far as developers and publishers are concerned. The popular consoles that appeal to the larger audience attract more eyes.

Zelda is also coming to the Cube too, so it's not exactly a system seller for those that already have the previous console and Madden is on every system.

When was the last time I saw a launch lineup that good? I saw one better with the 360.

As much as I have started to dislike Sony and their track record, when it comes to functions & specs of their console, I have a sneaking suspicion that it will somehow manage to sell at their high price tag.