FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> Guns N Roses
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:58 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

So, anybody seeing any of the shows? They start tomorrow in Vegas I believe.

Got some pretty decent tickets today for the Tampa show on Oct. 25th. Now I just sit and wait to see if Axl can actually pull it off this time around. This is gonna be good!
COLDHANDS
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

I stop following them after the infamous Metallica/GnR show in Montreal. But I still listen some song
screaminthedark
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

have some "patience" they might not hit the stage til 11 o'clock. they should kick ass though!!!
ajburton29
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:14 am  Reply with quote

I'd like to see GnR.
Appetite for Destruction still gets heavy play in my music listening.
Looking forward to playing Sweet Child of Mine on Guitar Hero 2.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:59 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

screaminthedark wrote:
have some "patience" they might not hit the stage til 11 o'clock. they should kick ass though!!!

As I well know. The time I saw them in LA during the Use Your Illusions tour, they didn't come on until well after midnight and played until almost 4:00 AM. The crowd was just about passed out dead tired, and Axl was still running all around the stage. Definitely in my Top 5 best concert experiences ever. I Am A Rockr! I Rock Out!
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:31 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

One of my favorite bands.......it is just to bad Axl went insane
bartholemewj
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:45 am  Reply with quote

No Slash, no concert.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:25 am  Reply with quote

So is it the original band? Or just Axl?
I want to go to the Milwaukee show, but I don't want to blow $$ on tickets if it is just Axl and some different band members.
bartholemewj
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:10 am  Reply with quote

ajburton29 wrote:
So is it the original band? Or just Axl?
I want to go to the Milwaukee show, but I don't want to blow $$ on tickets if it is just Axl and some different band members.

just Axl
ajburton29
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:43 am  Reply with quote

Well fuck that!
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:36 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Actually, we saw them last week, and it was a great show even with the new band. To me, Slash was great but hardly irreplaceable -- just look at what he's done (or more accurately, NOT done) with Velvet Revolver.
brainee
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

The Woman In Black wrote:
Actually, we saw them last week, and it was a great show even with the new band. To me, Slash was great but hardly irreplaceable -- just look at what he's done (or more accurately, NOT done) with Velvet Revolver.

Did they play much new material ... and if so, how did it sound? That's the test for me (that and seeing if Axl can keep his shit together for an extended period of time). I'd have no doubt that Axl and a strong group of rock musicians can put on a good "G'nR" show. But the album (and new material) will show if there's enough creative juices flowing for GnR to be a relevant band rather than a nostalgia show.

What's your problem with Slash and Velvet Revolver? Talk about not doing anything -- GnR hasn't had an album of original material for over 15 years. VR had a #1 platinum and Grammy-winner in 2004, toured a lot, wrote and recorded something new (slated now for early next year). What has Axl done in that time period? To top it off, it looked like Axl was stirring up shit about Slash and VR. Who knows the truth, but on the surface it looked like either another mental problem or a calculated effort to promote the next GnR album (at the expense of others).
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:16 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

They played a few new songs (5 I believe), and I liked all but one quite a bit. My favorite -- Madagascar -- was sadly a no-show that night.

Axl has openly admitted to having some problems, but I give him a lot of credit for really trying to keep it together this time out, even if the show didn't get started until midnight! Luckily, I had already made arrangement to go into work late the next day. I'm thinking the presence of Sebastian Bach on the tour is helping -- as strange as that may sound. His voice did go a bit in-and-out, but the ending to Knockin' on Heaven's Door was classic Axl all the way. And his energy level was as boundless as ever. He was in the best mood I've seen him in since the early, early days.

As for VR, I was a HUGE STP fan, but for whatever reason the Slash/Weiland combo just never really gelled for me -- either in the studio or live. The show I saw them perform seemed pretty much just going through the motions. I suppose I'm looking forward to their new album to see what, if anything, they've improved upon, but I'm nowhere near chomping at the bit for it like I am for Chinese Democracy and even the new DeLeo brothers/Filter singer collaboration.
brainee
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

And so it begins (from Portland Maine Press Herald) ...

Quote:
Not smelling like a rose to fans

By ELBERT AULL, Staff Writer

Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Welcome to the jungle, where there were no "fun and games." 
The rock band Guns N' Roses, which helped define an era with songs like "Welcome to the Jungle,"  canceled its concert at the Cumberland County Civic Center Monday, 2 1/2 hours before the event was scheduled to begin.

The unexplained cancellation angered fans, many of whom pinned the decision on Guns N' Roses lead singer Axl Rose, who has a reputation for calling off shows.

"I got all dressed up; I went all out for this concert,"  said 17-year-old Misty McAuliffe of Rockland, standing across the street from the civic center in a tight black outfit and a Guns N' Roses belt buckle.

Fans like McAuliffe turned a section of Free Street behind the civic center into ground zero for Rose-bashing Monday night.

While fans griped outside, a crew of dozens worked inside the civic center to take apart the stage, which was show-ready - lighting, amplifiers and all - by 5:30 p.m., when Guns N' Roses' promoter told the venue's manager the show was off.

Steve Crane, the civic center's general manager, said the band's promoter, AEG Live, did not give a reason for the decision.

Crane, who has worked at the venue for 29 years, said he could remember only one or two other times when a show was called off so close to the scheduled starting time.

He said he scrambled to tell local television and radio stations about the decision in hopes some fans would get the word before leaving for the concert.

Approximately 3,400 fans bought tickets for the show; Crane said the venue could've accommodated around 6,500 spectators Monday. Tickets were $65, and vendors will give refunds beginning today at the box office.

Chris Kirby, 39, of New Gloucester said a parking garage attendant in Portland told him the show was canceled. Kirby brought his son, stepson and one of the boys' friends with him to the show.

The four stood outside the civic center around 6:15 p.m. Monday when a passerby jokingly asked, "Where's Axl?"

"He better be far, far away,"  Kirby said, laughing.

Guns N' Roses is known for a string of seminal rock records in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

The band is also known for the antics of its lead singer and only remaining original member, Rose, who has publicly feuded with band mates and sparked riots in St. Louis during the band's performance and, more recently, in Vancouver and Philadelphia after shows in those two cities were canceled.

Sebastian Bach, the former lead singer of another influential 1980s band, Skid Row, and relative newcomers Papa Roach were also scheduled to perform, and the lineup drew a diverse crowd.

Fans like Kirby, who remembered Guns N' Roses' rise to popularity well, mingled with teenagers who were born shortly before or after the release of the band's last successful albums, "Use Your Illusion  I and II, in 1991.

Guns N' Roses is currently touring to promote its long-forthcoming album, "Chinese Democracy.

The band played in New Jersey Sunday and is scheduled in Worcester, Mass., Wednesday.

Jonni Tegarden, 58, of Rumford said she attended the show at the Meadowlands Sunday and couldn't believe the Portland concert was canceled.

"(Rose) was in a really good mood last night,"  said Tegarden, who was once president of California-based Ruthless Management and said she has known the singer for years.

Rose, who has been going from city to city by plane during the tour, did not come to Portland, the civic center's Crane said.

Crane said the civic center receives about 1 percent of ticket revenue, but the cancellation cost the venue money it could have made on beer and food, as well as a cut of T-shirt sales.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:59 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

The official response:

1. Portland Cancellation
The show in Portland was cancelled last night because the fire marshall made it impossible for us to believe we could do our show without putting at risk the safety of the fans and the band. They made it clear that they intended to harrass our fans, crew and the band through enforcing rules and regulations that are 200 years old to an extent that has not been applied to other artists and that we believed would make the gig a potential time bomb that would explode. Our Production Manager Chris Gratton is a seasoned pro who has worked with everyone from Korn to R Kelley and has terrific relationships with Fire Marshalls and authorities all over the world. This is the first time he has ever come to us and said this is a dangerous situation and these people intend to use their authority in a negative way against our fans, our band and our crew and I need you to do something about it.

The cancellation had nothing to do with pyro or ticket sales. Putting our fans, band and crew first cost $200,000 last night so we did not make the decision without great thought and care and it was made in consultation with our agents and our promoter both of whom lost money as a result and both of whom supported our decision 100% as they too could see that the authorities were more than overzealous in their approach. For all of you to be speculating without any knowledge or credible information that the responsibility for this is Axl's or the band's is nonsense. This band has performed more than 50 shows this year without incident and had every intention of performing last night. They did not perform because we - the professionals around the band - stopped them as we did not feel it was safe for them or for the fans. We take our responsibility to the band seriously and we take our responsibility to the fans seriously. Now if you want to vent your spleens about this do it to the people responsible ie the fire marshalls. We named them for a reason. They are the reason why the Cumberland County Civic Center did not rock last night.

2. Ticket Sales
Guns N' Roses have sold almost 200,000 tickets already for this run and we still have 7 weeks to go. We have sold almost 50,000 tickets in the New York area alone this year between Hammerstein Ballroom, the Meadowlands and Madison Square Garden on the back of one interview with Ed Trunk and before the album has come out. Most bands do not go to Portland, Maine because it is what the music business calls a "soft market" but we had a lot of letters from fans in the area and we were determined to play there regardless of whether it was "only" 3500 people. We are doing something positive in a negative world. If you are with us fantastic. If you want to live your live in an adverse way stay at home.

3. From Axl
I would like to apologise to all of the fans in Maine for the show not happening last night. It was important for us to play there and it is a shame that what should have been a great night for all of us was not possible due to the actions of two people. I agree with and ultimately take responsibility for the end decision not to jeopardise the safety of the fans, the crews, the bands and myself as a result of the methods of these particularly draconian authorities. We are not trying to get away or get out of anything or pull a fast one by combining ticket sales as has been speculated. There are reasons that I have not spoken more about Montreal and Philadelphia that have been extremely complicated and are not legally resolved behind the scenes to this day and could have possibly jeopardized the future of Guns N' Roses.

We have chosen to take the public heat for these events in order to have another shot at the future today with a new album.
The professionals around me felt that Portland was a potentially explosive situation that could have had a somewhat similar result based on the behaviour of the two aforementioned fire marshals (it's not my 1st barbeque!) had the fans been given entry to the building and the show started. In respect of these opinions , our fans, the people of Portland, and the bands scheduled to play with us that night, unfortunately the only sensible decision was not to take that chance. We hope to find another way to play for you in the future. Thanks for even trying to see us. It sincerely is much more than appreciated.