Woman in Black 2 Angel of Death, The (2015)

default-featured-image

The Woman In Black: Angel of DeathStarring Phoebe Fox, Jeremy Irvine, Helen McCrory, Oaklee Pendergast

Directed by Tom Harper

Words cannot describe how much I love the original 1989 British television adaptation of Susan Hill’s terrifying novel The Woman in Black. Simply put, it’s one of the single most frightening movies ever put together and well worth taking the time to seek out.

When the announcement came that Hammer of all studios was bringing the story to the screen again starring Daniel Radcliffe, I was elated. Then I saw it. Gone were the subtlety and bone-chilling moments found in the original film, and in their stead was a lot of CGI, which amounted to one giant overblown misfire. The flick made its money though, and a sequel quickly went into the works.

The Woman in Black 2 Angel of Death is directed by Tom Harper and written by Jon Croker from a story he co-wrote with author Susan Hill. Having Hill pen the continuation of her story made perfect sense, and as a result the first horror film of 2015 is indeed a winner. In fact, I like to look at it as a direct sequel to the 1989 flick as it has way more in common with that than it does with the 2012 telling.

In the movie we join the action forty years removed from the events of the original, smack dab in the thick of London during World War II. An orphanage has been evacuated, and its children and headmistresses have been moved to the delightfully dreary Eel Marsh House, unaware of the nefarious vengeful spectre who haunts its halls. It’s not long before the activity in the home stirs up its other-worldly inhabitants, and before you can say BOO!, the scares start piling up.

This is a classic horror film in every sense of the word and actually feels worthy of being called a Hammer movie. We’re talking classic Hammer through and through! The Woman in Black 2 Angel of Death is spooky, atmospheric, and genuinely scary. It’s a thinking person’s horror tale that doesn’t rely on cheap scares to keep audiences sweating. My only fear is that it may be too sophisticated for today’s dumbed down A.D.D.-driven audiences, but you know what? Screw ’em.

The door is of course left open for a sequel, and if this film is any indication of where the now franchise is going, then we are all in with bells on! Looking for a good way to spend a cold winter’s night? A darkened theatre that offers a quick trip to Crythin Gifford’s Eel Marsh House is perfect for all of your shiver-inducing needs. Yep, 2015 is off to one hell of a start!

• Film
Sending
User Rating 2.82 (17 votes)
Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: