FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> Under-rated Albums
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

We've all got them. Great albums from established bands that people either didn't get, or just dismissed totally.

I'll get started with...

MOTLEY CRUE's self-titled, with John Corabi on vocals. Even when I first heard it I thought it was brilliant. The Bob Rock production is fat and heavy, the songs are amazing and diverse, and Corabi has one of the best, dirtiest set of blues-rock pipes since Tyler.

In the midst of grunge it was completely ignored but it's still the only album I've ever bought twice (after having my first copy pinched).

RELOAD, Metallica's much-maligned sequel to the much-maligned LOAD. Of the two RELOAD is far superior, and a great hard rock album in it's own right.

Who knows, maybe in a few years I'll even like ST ANGER.

Anyone care to contribute.
brainee
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

Cash Bailey wrote:
RELOAD, Metallica's much-maligned sequel to the much-maligned LOAD. Of the two RELOAD is far superior, and a great hard rock album in it's own right.

Good call on the Metallica. All the outcrying of "Waaaahhhh! They don't sound like 'Master of Puppets' anymore" makes me laugh. I thought both (Load and Reload) were solid rock efforts -- it's just the name on the album that gave people fits because it wasn't what they were expecting. I know different strokes and all (especially for music), but I never got how so many people could objectively say these albums were complete crap with songs like "Bleeding Me", "The Outlaw Torn", Fixxxer", "The Unforgiven II".
flashback
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

pretty much anything by frank zappa.

zombies , they creep me out.
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:01 am  Reply with quote

brainee wrote:
Cash Bailey wrote:

Good call on the Metallica. All the outcrying of "Waaaahhhh! They don't sound like 'Master of Puppets' anymore" makes me laugh. I thought both (Load and Reload) were solid rock efforts -- it's just the name on the album that gave people fits because it wasn't what they were expecting. I know different strokes and all (especially for music), but I never got how so many people could objectively say these albums were complete crap with songs like "Bleeding Me", "The Outlaw Torn", Fixxxer", "The Unforgiven II".

Not to mention 'Fuel', 'The Outlaw Torn', 'The Memory Remains', 'Hero Of The Day'. All great Metallica songs.

I'm still torn on S&M, although 'No Leaf Clover' is one of their best songs ever.
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:04 am  Reply with quote

flashback wrote:
pretty much anything by frank zappa.

I dont mean albums nobody's heard, I'm talking about albums that people, for whatever reason, blindly dismissed.

Another one - VITALOGY by Pearl Jam.
brainee
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:14 am  Reply with quote

Cash Bailey wrote:
I dont mean albums nobody's heard, I'm talking about albums that people, for whatever reason, blindly dismissed.

Another one - VITALOGY by Pearl Jam.

Pearl Jam: "No Code". Though any of their post-Ten CDs fit, since they dipped from the public's awareness as grunge was no longer the "in thing". They just keep making outstanding music, and "No Code" was one of my favorites.

Garbage: "Bleed Like Me". I thought it was a great return to form, but man it disappeared fast from getting any airplay.

The Kinks: "Something Else", "The Village Green Preservation Society", "Arthur". The Kinks had an odd hitch in their career, between early British invasion hits like "You Really Got Me" and the 70s "Lola". When everyone else was getting crazy in the late 60s, they released 3 quiet, beautifully done albums ... that bombed massively. Even today, most people wouldn't recognize any of the songs on these albums (even though many critics have come around to realizing that this was the Kinks' creative high-water mark).

Milla: "The Divine Comedy". Well-known teen model and actress Milla Jovovich released an album in the early 90s. Most dismissed it out of hand. But you know what? It's actually really really good, with well written songs (by Milla herself) and a unique sound (kind of an alt-rock Eastern European folk).

Jerry Cantrell: "Degradation Trip". Being one of the main guys from a group as big as Alice in Chains, and having songs from his 1st solo album "Boggy Creek" get decent airplay on rock stations, you'd think this one would be higher profile. But there were massive record label shennanigans, and it got buried. Which is a sin, since I think this double-CD release (that's the version you should go for) is simply brilliant. It rocks hard, is loaded with great songs, is overflowing with emotion. An absolute must for AIC fans, grunge fans, rock fans.

The Cranberries: "Bury the Hatchet". They were huge alt-rock stars with their 1st 2 CDs, but starting getting mired down in preachiness (and is anything more annoying than pop/rock stars preaching to you?). They returned to the simple beautiful style that made them successful in the first place for this CD, but no one cared anymore. Things weren't helped by a hideously ugly album cover.

'Til Tuesday: "Everything's Different Now". Sometimes music success just doesn't seem fair. Aimee Mann and her band had a monster 80's hit with "Voices Carry". But as subsequent releases got better and better, the sales got worse and worse. This was the last release by the band, and bombed. Though its a wonderful bit of pop/rock (and you can see how the 80's-style of "Voices Carry" had transformed to the solo-style of Aimee Mann with this album).
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:32 am  Reply with quote

You know, I've always heard that the Milla Jovovitch album was good. She plays guitar and sings pretty good in DAZED AND CONFUSED.

It's still unfathomable why she's married to the most inept director this side of Uwe Boll.
brainee
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:51 am  Reply with quote

Cash Bailey wrote:
It's still unfathomable why she's married to the most inept director this side of Uwe Boll.

The way her personal life seems to move, I wouldn't rule her out hooking up with Boll at some point in the future.
bart138
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

brainee wrote:
The Cranberries: "Bury the Hatchet". They were huge alt-rock stars with their 1st 2 CDs, but starting getting mired down in preachiness (and is anything more annoying than pop/rock stars preaching to you?). They returned to the simple beautiful style that made them successful in the first place for this CD, but no one cared anymore. Things weren't helped by a hideously ugly album cover.

Laughing I always thought it looked like a rejected cover for some post Roger Waters Floyd album.
sawalter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

For any metal fans who like Metallica (old or new), Megadeth, Testament, Overkill, or Nevermore, I would suggest two recent offerings that don't get a lot of attention but fully deserve it:

Pathos - Katharsis: Released in 2002 (and they haven't put out anything new since), this CD is a revelation. I cannot stop listening to this album.

Susperia - Unlimited: Third CD by this band made from former Dimmu Borgir and Satyricon members. Not at all what you'd expect given the pedigrees of the members.

These are two of the best metal albums I've ever heard. Noone who picks them up will be disappointed.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

Faith No More's 'King For a Day, Fool For a Lifetime'
Pantera's 'Reinventing The Steel'
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:36 pm  Reply with quote

ajburton29 wrote:
Pantera's 'Reinventing The Steel'

You know, I don't remember a single song from this album. Maybe I need to go back and listen to it.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:05 pm  Reply with quote

It wasn't their best, but I didn't think it was as bad as some Pantera fans think.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:48 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

First thing that comes to mind? Zwan. It was Corgan's hippy-dippy answer to the Pumpkins and I fucking loved it. I mean, despite the poppiness (which I know may have turned alot of you off, what with all the rainbows on the album cover and all)... how many bands in recent years have been able to pull off such a rich, textured 3 guitar assault and sustain it for the course of an entire album? Whoever cites Hawthorne Heights is dead to me, by the way.

I'd also name Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath. Average joe doesn't dig much deeper than Master of Reality (if they're lucky), Black Sabbath, and (the big one) Paranoid. None of these approach the raw grandeur and spectacle of A National Acrobat or Killing Yourself to Live... not to mention that title track. My favorite Sabbath album, hands down.

Screaming Lord Sutch and His Heavy Friends. If you don't know, you'd better call somebody. This shit just rocks, and how.
bart138
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride: Most people only know Mississippi Queen, but Mountain gets severely screwed when talking about heavy rock from the early seventies. This album especially seems to be completely overlooked, despite having one of the best A-sides of all time.

Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me: This album pretty much set the blueprint for most of the "alternative rock" of the next decade or so. The Pixies get alot of credit that should be going J Mascis's way.

T. Rex - (pretty much anything from Electric Warrior through Tanx): Marc Bolan and Tony Visconti were the best musician-producer team of all time. No one else wring such depth out of such seemingly simple songs.

And I agree with the statements about PJ, The Kinks, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.