FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Breeding Ground
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Based on Johnny's review I'd say this is a must read. I've gotta say, the book reviews on this site are simply amazing. Fango and Rue Morgue usually relegate horror books reviews to a few short paragraphs lumped together into a monthly column. But Dread Central treats horror lit with a level of sophistication that is truly impressive. Only Cemetery Dance Magazine gives me book reviews that match DCs.

I hate to admit it, but I hadn't heard of the classic LIVE GIRLS until I read the review here. It convinced me. I took LIVE GIRLS with me to Hawaii on vacacation last month (along with a stack of other DC recommended titles - including THE RUINS), and once again the DC review was responsible for me reading one of the best horror novels I've ever imagined.

Can't wait to dive into BREEDING GROUND based on the recommendation.
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:29 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

Thanks, man, very glad you noticed and apprecaite the work we put into them! The best horror out there is in the written word, as is usually the case, and it's a shame how few other sites give it the attention it deserves.

And yeah, Breeding Ground is a damn good time. You will dig.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

Solid review. I'm always looking for new talent to read. This will be be on my Fall read list.

Caterpillar
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Franco on both LIVE GIRLS and BREEDING GROUND. The former was really good considering it's a vamp novel, a subgenre I despise. Had it not been for Johnny's review and mention of the magical word "splatterpunk" I'd definitely never have bothered. BREEDING GROUND goes into my next amazon order for sure.
brainee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

The story certainly sounds like something different, which is a plus in my book for an author I've never read before. I guess publishers and other readers must be different, preferring these generic "tried and true" plots that we've seen a million times (and least judging from how many of them I see in bookstores). For me, it doesn't matter how many critical blurbs I see. If its an author I've never read and the book looks to be about goth vampires, a serial killer stalking a big city and the detectives on his trail, or people living in a haunted house encountering evil ... I just pass on by.

And keep up the book reviews. It's hard to keep track of good new releases, especially if by lesser-known authors or publishers that might not get displayed in run-of-the-mill bookstores. Leisure books usually get carried, though I noticed my local Borders will quickly take them off the shelves to make room for a zillion copies of the latest King/Koontz book.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

I ordered my copy of Breeding Ground yesterday. I hope to have it in my dirty little hands by Monday.

Once again. Great review, man.
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Just wanted to echo Franco's original words. I've yet to find a website that puts as much work into its horror reviews as the staff here do. Breeding Ground being just the latest of a long line of impressive reviews. Effectively, you've reignited my passion for the written horror genre - and Breeding Ground sits hgh on the list of must haves. Ta muchly.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

Started reading this and.....I really like it so far. In the first 75 pages there is more than enough vicious stuff to make you queasy. Sarah can write some mean stuff.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:41 am  Reply with quote

Done. A story that could've been so much better. It took some familiar turns with some original themes.

Overall... I'd give it a solid 6 out of 10. I liked it,
Rorschach
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:22 am  Reply with quote

Aaron2010 wrote:
Started reading this and.....I really like it so far. In the first 75 pages there is more than enough vicious stuff to make you queasy. Sarah can write some mean stuff.

Just picked this up from Barnes and Noble meself. I have to agree with you, as that's about as far as I've gotten in it SO FAR.

Will read more tonight. Fucking AWESOME so far though.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

I've been up-selling this for a few weeks now. People are really seeming to like it.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:55 am  Reply with quote

Anyone else having problems with their paperback falling apart? I'm about 150 pages in and several pages are threatening to come loose. Had that problem with one or two other Leisure books as well in the past. Not that I have much right to complain since these are cheapo paperbacks and not expensive hardcovers. Still, meh.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:30 am  Reply with quote

Never had a Leisure title fall apart on me yet. Where you getting them from? I would get an exchange for the same book.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

I'm getting them from amazon. Doesn't seem worth the hassle to try and get a replacement.

Finished the book yesterday, by the way. Pretty great stuff.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:09 am  Reply with quote

Yeah it is. She hangs out occasionally at SHOCKLINES.com message board, by the way.