FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Supernatural anyone?
Freddy_K's_Daughter
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:43 am  Reply with quote

Taylor wrote:
Didn't like the finale, they left too many questions unanswered, even if it was a cliffhanger, they could have at least answered a FEW.

Loved the show for the most part though. Can't wait for Season 2. Bravo to them for showing so much gore on cable.

Yea,I was suprised at the amount of gore they got away with.
Zuni
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

I like the show, but I could do without dad hanging around. I'm looking forward to the new season.
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Supernatural season 1 DVD is released tomorrow.
Fireflyfan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

so I haven't been on the forums in a while and I wanted to post on this...

I saw the first season and I thought it was pretty great. It was very slick and well produced, and in a lot of ways better than Buffy. It's good to see it takes the genre way more seriously too.

Did you guys get any extras on the dvds? We got nothing here, and it was released in two seperate volumes to boot Sad

I hope the merchandise machine for figures, games and whatnot kicks in much faster than it did for buffy and angel though.
PBP
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:40 am  Reply with quote

Fireflyfan wrote:
so I haven't been on the forums in a while and I wanted to post on this...

I saw the first season and I thought it was pretty great. It was very slick and well produced, and in a lot of ways better than Buffy. It's good to see it takes the genre way more seriously too.

Did you guys get any extras on the dvds? We got nothing here, and it was released in two seperate volumes to boot Sad

I hope the merchandise machine for figures, games and whatnot kicks in much faster than it did for buffy and angel though.

It's already started with trading cards coming in October.
i3ullseye
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:58 am  Reply with quote

Ok, a tangent hit me while reading this.

Now, let me preface this by saying I have not seen this series. It reeks of the same type production that Buffy had, and I loathe that show. And Angel for that matter. Can't stand any of the guys work, but thought the Firefly movie was surprisingly good.

I know this isn't Whedon. But it really strikes me as that sort of show. and I can;t normally stand them. Most people I know can;t stand them. the ones that do also watch pro wrestling (and think it just might be real), or are female.

Which brings me to this tangent.

As I read the review... well written as it was, I immediately scanned down fully expecting the reviewer to be female. And (certainly no knowck on the review itself at all) I was right. So the question here, is what percentage of males like this show, versus what percentage of females. Gender DOES impact tastes, and I am wondering if this is another of those shows that have a certain fan base that is very gender-centric.

Xena, Hercules, Buffy, etc.... TV has a good history of targeting gender with certain shows. Who here watches the OC?

So, again. Maybe the show is great. Maybe the initial judgement (prejudicial I will admit) I came to is unfounded. But I woudl be very interested to know the gender of folks who like and dislike this show, and would love to see the poll results.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:22 am  Reply with quote

i3ullseye wrote:
Ok, a tangent hit me while reading this.

Now, let me preface this by saying I have not seen this series. It reeks of the same type production that Buffy had, and I loathe that show. And Angel for that matter. Can't stand any of the guys work, but thought the Firefly movie was surprisingly good.

Not a Whedon fan either. But Firefly is unfuckable.

i3ullseye wrote:
I know this isn't Whedon. But it really strikes me as that sort of show. and I can;t normally stand them. Most people I know can;t stand them. the ones that do also watch pro wrestling (and think it just might be real), or are female.

Nah, I'm in no groups you mentioned.

i3ullseye wrote:
As I read the review... well written as it was, I immediately scanned down fully expecting the reviewer to be female. And (certainly no knowck on the review itself at all) I was right. So the question here, is what percentage of males like this show, versus what percentage of females.

I'm a heterosexual male, without a Whedon fetish and I love this show.

This series is played with a very serious tone, and straight face, and it's very dark and dreary. As where "Buffy" was more "look how clever we are," this instead prefers to focus on its story and get to business.

And the simplistic plot in the finale caps off a very good season.

i3ullseye wrote:
Gender DOES impact tastes, and I am wondering if this is another of those shows that have a certain fan base that is very gender-centric.

I dont speak for everyone, but I love "Supernatural" and it's not based on anything but my love for horror and enjoyment for the writing, acting and plots.

i3ullseye wrote:
Xena, Hercules, Buffy, etc.... TV has a good history of targeting gender with certain shows. Who here watches the OC?

Not me.

i3ullseye wrote:
So, again. Maybe the show is great. Maybe the initial judgement (prejudicial I will admit) I came to is unfounded. But I woudl be very interested to know the gender of folks who like and dislike this show, and would love to see the poll results.

I'm a male. Hetero. Dislike Whedon. And OC. and MTV. And Fuse.

So, I'm not in your group. Give it a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:45 am  Reply with quote

Here's another heterosexual male chiming in with immense love for Supernatural. And while I do enjoy Whedon's work, I agree wholeheartedly with Terminal -- Supernatural is as far removed from the works of Joss Whedon as one can get. It plays everything straight, with no winking at the camera or trendy pop culture dialogue. It's also, IMHO, one of the very best series on television today.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:50 am  Reply with quote

FilmCritic3000 wrote:
Here's another heterosexual male chiming in with immense love for Supernatural. And while I do enjoy Whedon's work, I agree wholeheartedly with Terminal -- Supernatural is as far removed from the works of Joss Whedon as one can get. It plays everything straight, with no winking at the camera or trendy pop culture dialogue. It's also, IMHO, one of the very best series on television today.

And you love Veronica Mars, as I do. So you're automatically in my cool book. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:58 am  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
And you love Veronica Mars, as I do. So you're automatically in my cool book. Very Happy

Why thank you! Mr. Green

It's funny because our assistant manager at work kept reiterating the mantra "there's nothing good on television" no matter how hard I'd try to convince him otherwise.

So imagine my shock when he tells me Sunday at work that he caught an episode of Supernatural (the one about the haunted painting) and really liked it...so much in fact he plans to pick up Season One on DVD Tuesday.

Sandwiched in between the dreck like American Idol and its ilk *is* good television; you just have to look for it.

To quote Fred Allen here...

"Television is a medium because anything well-done is rare."
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:56 am  Reply with quote

Eric Kripke creator of Supernatural and Joss Whedon are worlds apart when it comes to comparing their TV shows. I see Supernatural more in the tradition of the Night Stalker, they are similarities and that's one of the main reasons I watch.

I don't think it matters if your male or female, if you enjoy horror than Supernatural (might be) the show for you.
bschulte
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:39 am  Reply with quote

Heterosexual male all the way here.

-HATE wrestling, KNOW it is fake
-LOVE Buffy
-LIKE Angel
-LOVE Supernatural
-LOVE Veronica Mars (off topic a little but a GREAT show)
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote

GODHOOD wrote:
Eric Kripke creator of Supernatural and Joss Whedon are worlds apart when it comes to comparing their TV shows. I see Supernatural more in the tradition of the Night Stalker, they are similarities and that's one of the main reasons I watch.

"Nightstalker" has a tradition?

I thought the only tradition it held was as a remake of a show that flopped? Hah! Mr. Green
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
GODHOOD wrote:

I thought the only tradition it held was as a remake of a show that flopped? Hah! Mr. Green

I can't believe you forgot the X-Files which was inspired by the original Night Stalker. Mr. Green
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

GODHOOD wrote:
Terminal wrote:
GODHOOD wrote:

I can't believe you forgot the X-Files which was inspired by the original Night Stalker. Mr. Green

Ohhhh!

I thought you meant the shitty Nightstalker with Stuart Townshend. Well, you're right, Kolchack, the Night Stalker has a grand tradition, and you're very right to compare Supernatural to it.

Very Happy