FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Alejandro Jodorowsky : Comparable film makers?
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

Is there anyone else out there comparable in his style? surrealistic bent?

I am going to check out Fernando Arrabal's Viva la muerte next from Netflix because of his similarities w/ Jodorowsky.

Then, I plan to check out: L' Arbre de Guernica (The Tree of Guernica) and then J'irai comme un cheval fou (I Will Go Like a Wild Horse).

Has anyone seen any of these 3?

Can you recommend another film maker similar in style/substance to Jodorowsky?
brainee
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

For some reason I've never seen any movies by Arrabal, though it seems like the kind of thing I'd usually try to check out. An obvious director that comes to mind is Luis Bunuel, who pretty much the father of cinematic surrealism. Late-era Fellini (post 8 1/2) is another well-known surrealist. Dusan Makavejev is lesser known, but like Jodorowsky has a more of a cult-following. He got more mainstream in the 80s, but fans of colorful, surrealistic, bizarre cinema should check out some of his 70s movies like "Sweet Movie" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072235/). There are others but that's off the top of my head.
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

brainee wrote:
For some reason I've never seen any movies by Arrabal, though it seems like the kind of thing I'd usually try to check out. An obvious director that comes to mind is Luis Bunuel, who pretty much the father of cinematic surrealism. Late-era Fellini (post 8 1/2) is another well-known surrealist. Dusan Makavejev is lesser known, but like Jodorowsky has a more of a cult-following. He got more mainstream in the 80s, but fans of colorful, surrealistic, bizarre cinema should check out some of his 70s movies like "Sweet Movie" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072235/). There are others but that's off the top of my head.

I rented 8 1/2 this week, plan on finishing it tomorrow. Not as surreal as I was led to believe. What is the coolest fucked up Fellini film?

as far as Bunuel, I have The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie high on my Netflix queue. What is his craziest best?

Netflix doesn't seem to have the best Makavejev to rent. They only have: The Coca-Cola Kid, Montenegro, and The Soldier's Tale. Are any of those worth checking out?
Sirand
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:24 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Watch Takashi Miike's IZO.
brainee
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:55 pm  Reply with quote

Tobe Romero wrote:
I rented 8 1/2 this week, plan on finishing it tomorrow. Not as surreal as I was led to believe. What is the coolest fucked up Fellini film?

Note I did say post 8 1/2 was where you looked for the surreal stuff. 8 1/2 was a transitional film from the neo-realistic style he was known for up to that point. I actually prefer his movies from the earlier period: "Dolce Vita", "Nights of Cabiria", "La Strada". Though many prefer (and he is arguably most famous for) the surreal stuff, to the point where that style of film is called "Felliniesque". Anything from "Juliet of the Spirits" to "Casanova" are his peak years for this style -- and each movie has its fans. There's even a horror movie in there, for his segment of "Spirits of the Dead". Critics often consider "Amaracord" as his best in that era (it won Best Foreign Picture Oscar, and Fellini was nominated for Best Director and Screenwriter). Though movies like "Roma", "Satyricon", and "Juliet" are likely more "fucked up"

Tobe Romero wrote:
as far as Bunuel, I have The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie high on my Netflix queue. What is his craziest best?

"Discreet Charm" is a good call for crazy Bunuel. His early short "Un Chien Andalou" done with Salvatore Dali is really crazy shit. Some of his movies are more straight drama like "Bell de Jour" or "Diary of a Chambermaid". But "Phantom of Liberty", "Obscure Object", "Tristina" are all must-sees for fans of the surreal. As are his 60s stuff like "Exterminating Angel" and "Simon of the Desert".

Tobe Romero wrote:
Netflix doesn't seem to have the best Makavejev to rent. They only have: The Coca-Cola Kid, Montenegro, and The Soldier's Tale. Are any of those worth checking out?

Eh, they're not going to be what you're looking for. I haven't seen "Soldier's Tale" but the other two are more subdued art-house romantic comedies. "Sweet Movie" and "WR" are the best, and it looks like they're not on DVD (at least on R1). Sorry for the tease (if you looked up the imdb comments on "Sweet Movie" I bet that piqued your interest).

Someone else that I thought of are some movies by Pier Paolo Passolini. Yes, the guy that did "Salo". But his colorful kinky "Arabian Nights" fits the bill well for being Jodoworski-like.
brainee
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:01 am  Reply with quote

Oh, and an obvious one that's actually horror (though you probably know of him already): Jose Mojica Marins (Coffin Joe). Especially "Awakening of the Beast", "End of Man", and "When the Gods Fall Asleep" (the latter 2 aren't horror or Coffin Joe movies, though they're probably most Jodorowski-like).
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Tobe Romero wrote:
Fernando Arrabal's Viva la muerte

images
http://www.wayney.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/muerte.htm
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.cultepics.com/ce_preview.html
brainee
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

Another that came to mind are some of the movies by Peter Greenaway, especially "Prospero's Books" and "The Baby of Macon". And John Boorman's "Zardoz" is must less a mainsteam sci-fi movie and more a whacked-out surrealistic colorful fantasy (ala Jodorowski).