DVD Release List: The Return

default-featured-image

Here’s what’s up for July 18th, 2006…

2 S.I.C.K. (2006)
Directed by Tommy Brunswick

For those of you who suffered through the first S.I.C.K., a movie even The Foywonder could find no redeeming qualities in (read his review of it for real hate), the good news is that 2 S.I.C.K. is actually a sequel in name only. Made as a film on its own called Mr. Jingles, Lionsgate decided they needed to work off the popularity of the first movie about an insane, serial killing clown. The story is about a girl who survives the brutal revenge of the clown Mr. Jingles and the trauma she deals with when she is finally out of the psych ward. Buy it here!

7 Mummies (2005)
Directed by Nick Quested

Six convicts and a female hostage does not paint a picture of a horror film to me, but then I have a dirty mind. Those are the characters in this movie, which finds said bad guys on the run from the law and making their way to the Mexican border. On the way they stumble across a lost treasure of untold wealth and the curse that comes with it. So are the mummies the characters or those that protect the gold? Maybe it’s both! Buy it here!

The Amazing Mr. X (1948)
Directed by Bernard Vorhaus

Two years ago Christine Faber’s husband died. One night she’s on the beach and believes she hears him calling to her, however, and shortly after meets a tall, handsome stranger named Alexis, who has an uncanny knowledge of such things. Soon, Christine, along with her young sister Janet, becomes obsessed with this man after more and more ghostly visitations, but Alexis begins to suspect that perhaps he got way more than he bargained for with them… Buy it here!

Camp Blood Trilogy
Directed by Brad Sykes

Finally, all three Camp Blood movies in one place! Wow! Included in this set are Camp Blood, Camp Blood 2, and Within the Woods! No, not the infamous Within the Woods that Sam Raimi did before Evil Dead, so don’t even bother asking. The story of the first is about a bunch of adults who hit Camp Blood to have some sex and drugs but get picked off by a sicko in a clown mask. The other two, I would venture to guess, follow the same pattern. Buy it here!

Carnivale: The Complete Second Season

I freely admit I completely missed this show during its intial run on HBO, not for lack of interest but because I have no cable whatsoever, but I plan on catching up with it someday since it was so well-loved and filled with all sorts of genre vets. The second season follows the story of a young man with great psychic powers who takes a job in a circus road show, while at the same time, on the other side of the country, a reverend with comparable powers is settling down into a small town. The Season Two box set comes with all sorts of special features like commentaries and featurettes, and a set of both Season One and Two will also be put out on the same day. Buy it here!

The Cavern (2004)
Directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi

Wow, that cover art sure is similar to The Cave, don’t ya think? That would almost make some sense if The Cave was actually a well-received movie, but it wasn’t, so why ape its look? Anyway, the film is about 8 explorers who become trapped in a Russian cave system and before you know it they’re being pursued by some unknown presence, which decimates their numbers in what I’m going to guess will be a lot of off-camera kills. Buy it here!

Subject Two (2006)
Directed by Philip Chidel

Nothing like a new Frankenstein tale to remind us all of the power of life and redemption and all that good stuff. Subject Two has been garnering all sorts of accolades by sites and articles wherever it’s played, so it’s almost a shame that the DVD is such an understated deal. A snowbound locale is the setting in which Dr. Vick tests his latest attempt to play God: resurrection. Horrifying side effects occur, however, as one would expect with experiments, but for the doctor things are much worse than just dealing with the violent dead. Buy it here!

Johnny Butane

Got news? Click here to submit it!
Discuss this week’s releases in our forums!

Share: 

Categorized: