FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Gamers only care about war when it affects Super Mario.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

I picked up this little snippet from my favorite blog "The Talent Show."

--Here's a bizarre letter that appears in the latest issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly under the heading "Misplaced Priorities" :

On July 4th, North Korea shot five missiles toward Tokyo as a test launch. Thankfully, the test failed and the missiles landed harmlessly in the ocean. But what if the missiles had hit Tokyo? Games like The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, and Metal Gear Solid 4 would not see stateside release. Unfortunately, it is a fact that most of the gaming world originates in Tokyo, and a large-scale attack on that city could certainly spell problems from obsessed U.S. fans. North Korea is likely to attack again in the near future. If successful, do you think that it could spell the end of gaming (at least as we know it)? - Chris Day

In the event of a nuclear attack on Tokyo, we're pretty sure you'll have other things to worry about, like being drafted.--

http://www.thetalentshow.org/

What the fuck? Videogames are more important than the scary behavior of North Korea OR the safety of human life?[/b]
WashingtonChainsawDebacle
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:25 pm  Reply with quote

Videogames are WAY more important than the safety of human life.

Also, Chris Day is clearly a retard.

Also, if Tokyo got nuked i wouldn't get drafted; i'd enlist. Miyamoto must be avenged.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:42 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'd just like to point out that drafting people for a nuclear war would be a little silly.

Do they need people to ride the missiles Dr.-Strangelove-style? Do they not have enough people to sit in those little bunkers and turn those little keys at the same time, like in Wargames?

Besides, we all know this isn't an issue. Miyamoto would just need to jump up, hit a power-up, and the nation would be granted 30 seconds of invincibility -and- double points!
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
I'd just like to point out that drafting people for a nuclear war would be a little silly.

Do they need people to ride the missiles Dr.-Strangelove-style? Do they not have enough people to sit in those little bunkers and turn those little keys at the same time, like in Wargames?

Besides, we all know this isn't an issue. Miyamoto would just need to jump up, hit a power-up, and the nation would be granted 30 seconds of invincibility -and- double points!

I just like how the whole article was plain ignorant. And you are right, a nuclear war would not be fought with a land battle, didn't these people learn anything from Vizzini in Princess Bride.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

EGM has some weird ass letter columns. It's like they pick the people who are either insane/way too into video games for their own good/hate the magazine.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
TheSpectre
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

I think If North Korea did succesfully bombard Toyko with missles , I think the counter attackting giant monsters would undoubtedly end the conflict in no time what's so ever untill the north Korean's are revealed to be space aliens who then summon King Ghidorah to the battle.
elric300
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

it also seems to be a well known fact that the media,for the most part, only cares about war when it genrates ratings.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

elric300 wrote:
it also seems to be a well known fact that the media,for the most part, only cares about war when it genrates ratings.

Or when they can use it to scare you. You are not safe...ANYWHERE!