FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> CBS 'exorcism' pilot
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:39 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Just wanted to chime in here and point out that this will absolutely SUCK if they let Bob Larson have a say in anything.

Larson is a total sham. This would be like having Karnac the Magnificent consult on a psychic show. First, he was a Christian talk radio guy, before he wrote a novel where he basically took credit when it was, in fact, almost entirely ghost written. After this and some other embarassments, he left the public eye, only to resurface in recent years as an exorcist. Yep, everywhere Bob shows up, it's demons-a-go-go! His concept and explanation of possession and demonology is laughable. Tent revivals in the 1920's had more solid backstories with thier miraculous healings every meeting.

The guy is a modern day snake oil salesman, and I can't believe someone with as much cash as Joe Roth would actually back the guy.

The concept of the pilot sounds great, but Larson's involvement is a very, very bad sign.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:44 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

All righty then! One less thing to put on my DVR list.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:55 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The Woman In Black wrote:
All righty then! One less thing to put on my DVR list.

I only hope is that they're paying him to put his name on it to give it an air of 'authenticity'. People say Ghost Whisperer isn't bad, despite the 'consulting' blatant psychic fraud James Van Der Hughen Burgh Vergen Heegen Fugen Heendy Skeendy Bork Bork Bork.
David
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:35 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Yep, everywhere Bob shows up, it's demons-a-go-go! His concept and explanation of possession and demonology is laughable. Tent revivals in the 1920's had more solid backstories with thier miraculous healings every meeting.

This has to be the same guy I saw on a show called The Real Exorcists. The charlatan I'm thinking of was setting up exorcist franchises across the country so that people with a demon inside them will always be within a couple hundred miles of one of his facilities. They provide exorcisms to people feeling down because that's a sure sign of Satan. Using his criteria, everyone on the planet is possessed. He was providing these "exorcisms" for the low price of $120 per demon.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:58 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

David wrote:
Mr. Dark wrote:
Yep, everywhere Bob shows up, it's demons-a-go-go! His concept and explanation of possession and demonology is laughable. Tent revivals in the 1920's had more solid backstories with thier miraculous healings every meeting.

This has to be the same guy I saw on a show called The Real Exorcists. The charlatan I'm thinking of was setting up exorcist franchises across the country so that people with a demon inside them will always be within a couple hundred miles of one of his facilities. They provide exorcisms to people feeling down because that's a sure sign of Satan. Using his criteria, everyone on the planet is possessed. He was providing these "exorcisms" for the low price of $120 per demon.

That's the one.

He also promotes the completely ridiculous concept of 'family demons', translating the verse 'the sins of the father shall be revisited upon the son' to mean that if your parents sinned, were alcoholics, whatever, that the 'demon' they carried would be passed to you. And, of course, everywhere he shows up in public, someone who has -no- idea they're possessed comes up and proceeds to have a lengthy demon-to-exorcist conversation with good old Bob reinforcing everything he says. Few people have even recorded exorcisms in history, yet Bob manages to record one every time he does a show.

Favorite Bob Larson memory: on his old radio show, he loved getting 'satanic' rock guys (like Glen Benton from Deicide, who is to Satanism what Bob is to Christianity) on his show, but mistakenly brought in Oderus Urungus from Gwar, thinking them a satanic band.

Of course, they aren't, and Oderus is just hilarious. Bob couldn't get his name right, so every break he'd come back, mangle the name, and Oderus would give him another name to call him. Finally, Oderus says 'Call me Blowtard Flapperjack, Bob.'

I nearly peed from the laughing.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:48 am  Reply with quote

Ah...exorcisms...such shams. Anyone remember the story a few years ago about church members sitting on a retarded boy (this resulted in the child's death) while preforming an exorcism because they thought his mental condition was really the infulence of demons?
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:55 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Kryten Syxx wrote:
Ah...exorcisms...such shams. Anyone remember the story a few years ago about church members sitting on a retarded boy (this resulted in the child's death) while preforming an exorcism because they thought his mental condition was really the infulence of demons?

Just to be sure everyone understands, I'm not doubting the reality of demons, possession, and exorcism. That's why I'm annoyed, a show based on this could be very, very entertaining. However, I have every reason to doubt Bob Larson based on his extensive history of, shall we say, questionable practices.
Elf
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:24 am  Reply with quote

Oh god, I think this show has Nathan Fillion as the lead. I remember reading on Whedonesque that Nathan Fillion was doing a pilot as a priest who fought supernatural stuff for CBS. So, could this be said pilot?

I mean, I'd watch almost anything to see Nathan Fillion.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:

Just to be sure everyone understands, I'm not doubting the reality of demons, possession, and exorcism. That's why I'm annoyed, a show based on this could be very, very entertaining. However, I have every reason to doubt Bob Larson based on his extensive history of, shall we say, questionable practices.

Never said they didn't exist, but I just find things like exorcisms a load of bull. I think the one show that used them that pissed me off the most was MTV's FEAR. It was so loaded with lies about religions...anything to get ratings I guess.