FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Jenifer
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

Watched this one again last night. And a lot like THE CARD PLAYER feel it's very middling Argento. I'm happy in a sense that he's not the author of this film/episode for a change. It's his most playful film, in many ways tongue and cheek like his segment in TWO EVIL EYES, although creatively JENIFER doesn't measure up to the wry humor of THE BLACK CAT, or even his PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, imo. I knew exactly where the story was headed from Spivey's intial discovery of the siren/succubus. In between he mixed in a few stylish moments, but other than that really no recognizable traits that would distinguish it as Argento. The story while arguably pulpy fun, is borderline schlock material. All in all it didn't leave any lasting impression. Like a lot of his recent product, I'm left feeling he's spinning his wheels with hackwork like JENIFER.
RhodesisGod
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

I disagree completely on this one. I rather enjoyed Jenifer and thought it was one of Argento's more valuable works over the last few years (although that's not saying much). I got a Argento vibe from it throughout from the music, to the violence, to some of the more stylized shots (although I agree that there isn't many, or at least not as much as we're used to from Argento). Now, I haven't seen EVERY MoH yet, but I've seen the majority and this is my favorite episode.
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't feel much of his personal stamp on this at all to be honest, and thought Simonetti's score is easily his weakest contribution yet. The violence is intentionally comical. Laughing I think it sorta works as an okay diversion, but if I want schlock from this series, THE DEER WOMAN takes the cake for me.
sonny gaunt
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

Legba wrote:
I didn't feel much of his personal stamp on this at all to be honest, and thought Simonetti's score is easily his weakest contribution yet. .

I have been griping for awhile about how the only feel on the series is Garris'. There is hardly any director's stamp on the series as a whole. It's like the shit was storyboarded for them and the cinematographer had explicit instructions from Garris. It's good to see these guys getting work but I'm sure Garris is recieving most of the milk from this cow.
brainee
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

sonny gaunt wrote:
I have been griping for awhile about how the only feel on the series is Garris'.

What comprises the "Garris feel"? Is it: Good cast and source material, made-for-tv, but hampered by pedestrian filmmaking, silly performances and plot developments, and horror cliches -- must be a Garris we're watching! I know exactly what you mean though (and I agree 100% with Legba about Jenifer). The hope for this series was that we'd get hour-long independent movies from these directors, but they don't feel like independent projects. The only that really does is Miike's, and I don't think it's a coincidence that that was the only one produced with a crew chosen by the filmmaker.
RhodesisGod
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Legba wrote:
I didn't feel much of his personal stamp on this at all to be honest, and thought Simonetti's score is easily his weakest contribution yet. The violence is intentionally comical. Laughing I think it sorta works as an okay diversion, but if I want schlock from this series, THE DEER WOMAN takes the cake for me.

Well, I think that's a fair assessment of it, but I think the schlock factor comes from the fact that it's based on a story in the old Creepy magazine. But I wouldn't say it's even close to the schlock factor that was in DEER WOMAN.
Robocop's Sad Side
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

The soundtrack theme for this was friggin' amazing. I also thought Weber was pretty good. While it may not feel like Argento to some, I still felt it had a lot of his appeal.

I really enjoyed it.

I dunno, though... She had a great body, but god damn what a lemon face from hell.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:32 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

My main problem with Jenifer was that I pretty much knew right from the get-go exactly how it was going to end. But after reading UC's review (he watched all the extras without me), I really want to check out some of the featurettes. Argento wanted to do what with chickens?!?!?! Shocked
Legba
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

You guys (and gals Wink) raise some good points about the production of these episodes. I was talking about something similar regarding the orginal THE OUTER LIMITS on another board recently, and how that show managed to separate itself from a normal TV show of the time, with its mix of imaginative ideas (universally human) and cinematography, that gave the show's better episodes a distinct canvas - part German Expressionism by way of French New-Wave. The episodes ended up resembling films more so than TV. That was really what I was hoping for with MOH, and unfortunately most of the series doesn't achevieve that for me.

The ones that do work seem to succeed despite their limitations. Like CIGARETTE BURNS has a lot of Carpenter's irreverent personality thrown in even though the story itself is a somewhat generic rip-off of CLUB DUMAS, ANCIENT IMAGES, and THROAT SPROAKETS. DEER WOMAN could work as a trilogy with AMERICAN WEREWOLF and INNOCENT BLOOD. It's at least a nice appendage. And you're right RhodesisGod, no one does schlock quite like Landis. Mckee's has some indivual charm, after Corman was no longer involved, he made some nice changes to the story inparticular the central Lesbian dynamic which really gives Bettis carte blanche to shine in SICK GIRL. It also features the best set design of the series and some wildly hallucinatory - experimental visuals that had me smiling. PICK ME UP had some good performances, and was a unique twist on a worn out subgenre that didn't require a lot of prep because of the straight forward narrative which gives it an advantage as a clever conceit/idea.

The rest seem to not hold up on subsequent viewing (or intially) for one reason or the other to me. But it's interesting just how opinions differ on what episodes are people's favorite. I've yet to see Miike's. Sad
birdie
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

I think 'hackwork' is a little harsh. At the very least, Jennifer was categorically horror, which is more than you can say for some of the entries.

Overall MOH was a huge disappointment, but compared with Nightmares & Dreamscapes, it's a posive tor de force.
Legba
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

birdie wrote:
I think 'hackwork' is a little harsh. At the very least, Jennifer was categorically horror, which is more than you can say for some of the entries.

I couldn't disagree more:

http://www.meriamwebster.com/dictionary/hackwork

It doesn't necessarily have to be derogatory, as I like a lot of commerical films. But coming from someone with a track record of previous distinguishable artistic achevievement and autuership in the genre, and seeing as how JENIFER is a work for hire and Argento had no hand in the writing this at all (much more a vehicle for Weber), it couldn't be more fitting.
birdie
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:04 pm  Reply with quote

I can watch Jennifer and know that it is Argento, ergo, it is not hackwork.
Legba
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:56 am  Reply with quote

I think the visual direction of JENIFER could be described as servicable at best. But what do we need silly things like definitions to explain ourselves for?

Anyhow, I hold out hope that the second season will reap better rewards, with some of the directors more accustomed to the format and production. F. Paul Wilson's PELTS is a more interesting story than JENIFER ever was, and I'm especially excited to see Carpenter and Landis also returning. Very Happy
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

I was very surprised that I enjoyed this movie. I really wish he had kept in the scene where Jenifer eats a willy, it was just too funny for words.

I do have to agree that the ending was pretty obvious from the beginning of the film.
joe kurtz
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:01 am  Reply with quote

For my money, Argento's JENIFER was the best thing to come out of the initial season of MOH. It & DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE are the two "must buys" for me as far as the DVDs are concerned. With Carpenter's & Malone's episodes likely to be added to them as my budget allows.