Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> The Life of Pi
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:53 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Everyone must buy this book!

Amazon.com wrote:
Yann Martel's imaginative and unforgettable Life of Pi is a magical reading experience, an endless blue expanse of storytelling about adventure, survival, and ultimately, faith. The precocious son of a zookeeper, 16-year-old Pi Patel is raised in Pondicherry, India, where he tries on various faiths for size, attracting "religions the way a dog attracts fleas." Planning a move to Canada, his father packs up the family and their menagerie and they hitch a ride on an enormous freighter. After a harrowing shipwreck, Pi finds himself adrift in the Pacific Ocean, trapped on a 26-foot lifeboat with a wounded zebra, a spotted hyena, a seasick orangutan, and a 450-pound Bengal tiger named Richard Parker ("His head was the size and color of the lifebuoy, with teeth"). It sounds like a colorful setup, but these wild beasts don't burst into song as if co-starring in an anthropomorphized Disney feature. After much gore and infighting, Pi and Richard Parker remain the boat's sole passengers, drifting for 227 days through shark-infested waters while fighting hunger, the elements, and an overactive imagination. In rich, hallucinatory passages, Pi recounts the harrowing journey as the days blur together, elegantly cataloging the endless passage of time and his struggles to survive: "It is pointless to say that this or that night was the worst of my life. I have so many bad nights to choose from that I've made none the champion."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0156027321/sr=1-1/qid=1150861806/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-4648346-8351313?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books

It's not really "horror" in the conventional sense, however it does have the element of horror in a powerful way. One of the best books I've read in years, and has one of the strongest endings I can remember. Confused Laughing
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
JamesN
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:11 am  Reply with quote

Ever since I first heard about this one, I didn't think it would be anything that would interest me. But dammit, I'm gonna have to check it out after all. Heard waaaay too many folks whose opinions I've trust give it very high praise.

I'll be checking it out.

Thanks for the lil' review, Tristan,

J.N.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:13 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

JamesN wrote:
Ever since I first heard about this one, I didn't think it would be anything that would interest me. But dammit, I'm gonna have to check it out after all. Heard waaaay too many folks whose opinions I've trust give it very high praise.

I'll be checking it out.

Thanks for the lil' review, Tristan,

J.N.

Trust me, it's unusual. I was mildly apathetic at first as well, but where it goes with the story...well...you'll see. Laughing
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
JamesN
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

Sold.

Thanks, Tristan!

J.N.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jack19
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

Life Of Pi has been on my to-read list for a long time, cause of all the good stuff I keep hearing. Hopefully I will get to it this summer.
alien_nation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:43 am  Reply with quote

i'm reading this book also and it's really amazing and just sad.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:13 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I usually run from New Age-y sounding stuff like THE CELESTINE PROPHECIES and anything that could be construed as "A journey of the spirit, heart, and mind"r whatever.
I lumped LIFE OF PI in with these, but maybe I'll have to pick it up as well.

If it isn't good though I'm gonna go kick a dog.