FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Buffy / Angel - Which character shows the worst evolution?

Buffy/Angel - Worst Character Development?
Buffy
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
Angel
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Willow
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Xander
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
Cordelia
18%
 18%  [ 5 ]
Wesley
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fred
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 27

Mary Henry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:40 pm  Reply with quote

I always thought the character development in Buffy and Angel was remarkably good, requiring both plausible plot turns and actors who could make them believable. But there were exceptions ... so ... which character do you think showed the worst development, and why?

(No Willow bustline jokes, please.)

(See accompanying thread for "Best Character Development.")
Sirand
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:43 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Riley.

The only character I never liked or warmed up to. He never went anywhere interesting. All he did was brood about shit.
PBP
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:52 pm  Reply with quote

I would definitely agree with Riley. I was never crazy about him. However, since he's not nominated, I went with Xander.

Don't get me wrong, I have always liked Xander, but he never really changed. I mean, his role in "the scoobies" became more and more defined, as he was most definitely the heart of the group, but Xander himself never really went far as a character.....and I definitely think he was never used to his full potential.
Mary Henry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:02 pm  Reply with quote

Intereresting assessment, PBP. I recall reading that Whedon had said as much -- he loved those few times that Nicholas Brendon got to play against the type that had been defined for him, and had hoped to use him for bigger arcs, but it wasn't to be. I don't know if I'd go so far as worst-developed, though (definitely Riley) -- I think it could be argued that Xander was one of the best-defined characters by the end of the run, simply by how well he related to the rest of the characters and adjusted to change in others.
Elf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:59 am  Reply with quote

I'd say Riley as well. He went from a nice country boy to this winy guy going on some "Dark" path because he couldn't handle the fact that Buffy was stronger than he was. Not to mention Buffy wasn't in love with him. She loved him, but it's not the same.

As for Xander, I wish they could have used him more as well. I adored him and Nick Brendon did an excellent job playing him. I'm just glad they didn't turn him into a monster like they originaly toyed with in the last season.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:55 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Riley annoyed the crap out of me. All whiny 'Buffy is stronger than me' wah wah wah.

But otherwise, yeah... least development-wise, I went with Xander. I think we were just beginning to see the start of Xander's change at the end of the series, which was a sad thing, because I loved his character.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
Mistress
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

someone else voted for Buffy. and I want to know why!

I voted for Buffy. I never like her. I feel the affection between different characters, but when she tells Xander that she loves him or Willow that she's her best friend I feel cold. their characters clearly have feelings for Buffy, but I don't feel that reciprocated. Except between Buffy and Dawn.

I agree with all you lovely people - Reily is a whinny brat. I was so glad when he left. even my incurably romantic child was glad when he left. "whah, I'm not as strong as Buffy... whah... I haven't killed as many vampires as Buffy... whah, my girlfriend isn't running into my manly arms to cry while her mom is dying" Rolling Eyes
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:14 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

I went with Cordelia. Her arc from beginning to just past the middle was awesome, but by the end, I was definitely ready for her to go. I liked what Joss and the writers did with her the least out of all the characters on both shows.
brainee
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

The Woman In Black wrote:
I went with Cordelia. Her arc from beginning to just past the middle was awesome, but by the end, I was definitely ready for her to go. I liked what Joss and the writers did with her the least out of all the characters on both shows.

I feel this way about Cordy too. Other characters had less of an arc (Xander, Angel), but I vote for Cordy because her character arc fell so flat for me, especially by the end of "Angel".
RingoJ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Mistress wrote:
someone else voted for Buffy. and I want to know why!

I voted for Buffy. I never like her. I feel the affection between different characters, but when she tells Xander that she loves him or Willow that she's her best friend I feel cold. their characters clearly have feelings for Buffy, but I don't feel that reciprocated. Except between Buffy and Dawn.

I agree with all you lovely people - Reily is a whinny brat. I was so glad when he left. even my incurably romantic child was glad when he left. "whah, I'm not as strong as Buffy... whah... I haven't killed as many vampires as Buffy... whah, my girlfriend isn't running into my manly arms to cry while her mom is dying" Rolling Eyes

That'd be me. My reasoning? Watch Season 7.
belle morte
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:56 am  Reply with quote

I'm kind of a n00b when it comes to Buffy and Angel - but I would have to go with Buffy. She's never interesting or sympathetic to me. Basically, I view her as a bitch who occasionally manages to quip a funny line. She just seems wooden to me. It might be the fact that I'm not overly fond of Sarah Michelle Gellar on a whole that colors my view of her on the show but I just can't bring myself to like her. I love the other characters, I just can't see any growth or change in her character. Well, except for maybe becoming bitchier.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

Have you seen every season, or are you still working on it?
belle morte
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

Of which?
RingoJ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

Buffy.
belle morte
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Haven't gotten all the way to the end yet.