FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> The Matador
Finnegan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Despite all of the praise Pierce Brosnan received for this film, it didn't really strike a large audience in the media. I've read reviews upon reviews upon reviews about how this is Pierce Brosnan's "career defining moment" or simply "the best performance he's ever put forth" - so I ask you, the people, have any of you actually seen this movie?

When I saw previews for it a while back, I quickly dismissed it as another formulaic action movie that stared what many people of this generation recognize as James Bond. However, lately I've been hearing more and more about it. Is it worth the hype?
~IC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

I watched it last week and I can agree, it was some of his best work to date. Brosnan is so watchable in this role that the movie flies by when he's on screen.

But the rest of the movie wasn't able to live up to what Pierce Brosnan was able to do.
Jack19
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

I really liked this when I saw it in thearters and I still liked it when I rented it the other day. Brosnan has never been better and Greg Kinnear does a good job. Despite the way they are advertising it, it isn't an action movie. There is a car explosing and some of camera shootings and that's about it. It is more of a dark dramedy.
PowerLeech
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

I wasn't a fan of the movie. Brosnan's performance was fine though.
belle morte
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:59 pm  Reply with quote

Saw it at the drive in without knowing a thing about it. Didn't think I'd like it but I thought it was pretty good.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:15 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I want to check this out, but not sure if it is worth a blind buy or not.
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:32 pm  Reply with quote

Great Brosnan performance.

It actually tricked me. I thought he was gonna kill the "gotta-pee" guy.
Sonny
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:05 am  Reply with quote

It was allright. I kinda forgot about it right after I saw it. I actually thought Brosnan was much better in Tailor From Panama (sp?). But he has a great sense of humor and it shows in this.
Caine Is Able
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:34 am  Reply with quote

I love this movie to death and so does every person I show it too. Same goes for Shane Black's underrated "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang".
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
Despite all of the praise Pierce Brosnan received for this film, it didn't really strike a large audience in the media. I've read reviews upon reviews upon reviews about how this is Pierce Brosnan's "career defining moment" or simply "the best performance he's ever put forth" - so I ask you, the people, have any of you actually seen this movie?

When I saw previews for it a while back, I quickly dismissed it as another formulaic action movie that stared what many people of this generation recognize as James Bond. However, lately I've been hearing more and more about it. Is it worth the hype?

I loved the movie. Most of the reviews I have seen for it were just horribly written. Go to IGN.com and see their review. Sometimes it feels like reviewers, when watching a movie that didn't hit it big, just speed through it and look for problems and sometimes make them up (especially the IGN review).

It was a semi-buddy comedy that didn't have a load of slap stick bullshit or sappy moments. Both of the leads are desperate for something and the film moves along nicely displaying these needs. I think it can be best summed up as a comedy for people who are sick of Adam Sandler or SNL films.

Pierce was just fucking brilliant. He's certainly more entertaining when he's not playing a Bond character.
Finnegan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:44 pm  Reply with quote

Excellent, well I guess I'll give the film a shot.