‘Zine Review: Rue Morgue #75!

default-featured-image

Rue Morgue #75 review!Issue #75
Jan/Feb 2008

For the first time in as long as I’ve been reading the magazine, Rue Morgue has a wide-release movie as its cover story after the film has already hit theaters. Something about that little fact disturbs me, though I can’t rightly say what…

No matter, though; the interview with Tim Burton that is the issue’s centerpiece is damn fine and will likely appeal more to fans after seeing the movie, anyway. Burton comes off as humble, edging on insecure, but very firm in what he wanted Sweeney Todd to be, which you have to respect. Adding to the piece are one-pagers about the stage musical the film was based on, which is still making runs as we speak, and a visit to the location where the purported “real” Sweeney Todd once caused all those bloody messes.

Following Sweeney Todd is a sit-down with the King of the Zombies, George Romero, who dishes all sorts of wisdom in relation to his latest zombie opus, Diary of the Dead (review). Personally I would’ve rather seen this on the cover, especially if they were able to use one of the “zombie portraits” done by Rob Sachetto (who also gets a one-pager) for the cover. But hey, I don’t run the mag, do I? No … not yet…

Ahem.

Adding to the focus on the latest zombie craze, there’s a piece on The Signal which isn’t a zombie movie but so fucking good you can’t really split hairs, as well as the almost-was zombie TV series “Babylon Fields”, which sounds a lot better than I expected it to. Hopefully it will have its own unlife one of these days…

A cool listing of horror cons and film festivals for 2008 (including our own Fear Fest!) makes this the most useful horror mag you’ll likely pick up all year. No specifics are given for any of them, but there are site links so you can dig up your own info.

Other highlights in Issue 75 include a great reason why you shouldn’t buy the latest “Don’t” double feature courtesy of Last Chance Lance, Rob Bowen’s “In Came From Rob’s Basement” column finally getting its own legs, Gary Butler’s look way back at the Satanic arc Marvel once took, and a feature article about the resurgence of werewolf novels, something long overdue, complete with Leisure editor Don D’Auria commenting on his lifelong fascination with the subgenre. That gives he and I a kindred connection, it does.

Issue 75 is on stands now so check it out! More info is, as always, available at Rue Morgue’s official site!

Johnny Butane

Got news? Click here to submit it!
Discuss the latest issue of Rue Morgue in the Dread Central forums!

Share: 

Categorized:Uncategorized