FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth (PC/XBOX/XBOX360)
Sutek
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:31 pm  Reply with quote

Holy fucking dog nuts. So I finally broke down and got the game on PC, loving it and all, then loathing some aspects of the game, it's kinda like Thief right now, without weapons. I about threw the controller with the hotel escape, was doing everything correctly but I kept getting killed before I could push the bookcase away from the door... Come to find out, on the PC, the video resolution was the problem, it was causing everything to run slow for pushing. But it's definately a fun and frustrating game. I dig the sanity levels and that there is no HUD interface.
brainee
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:23 am  Reply with quote

I just finished the PC version. So Sutek, what did you think by the end (assuming you've finished by now)? I had a similar response to you: alternating between loving and loathing it. One thing the game has down is atmosphere. The way things started off with you weaponless made it seem unlike any other action game. The cut scenes, storyline (mostly based on "Shadow Over Innsmouth"), "sanity" measures all worked well with a Lovecraftian story.

My problems:
1) Checkpoint save system. I really really hate this -- nothing says "console port" more (along with the developers not really caring about the PC version). I've heard the argument -- checkpoints for saves makes the game scarier and more intense. Well, for the tough sequences this is true at first. But after you die over and over scariness degenerates into tedium. I like games where players can be rewarded for mininal saving, while still giving you the option of saving anywhere.
2) I found the game really hard at points. Lots of sneaking levels where one false move gets you killed, and timed/chase sequences where a single stumble gets you killed. That first "Attack of the Fishmen" sequence ... brutal after having no real action scenes to get slammed with this early on. I can't tell you how many times I died trying to close the bolt only to open the door by mistake (confronted by several armed villagers). Many levels are easy once you know the trick -- but continual reloads to figure it out gets dull quickly. And the final "boss" battle? I have no idea how you were supposed to know how to solve that without checking a walkthrough.

Another odd thing is that the ending cut-scene didn't seem to wrap things up well (if imagine it would have made little sense if one didn't read "Shadow Out of Time"). Then I saw a youtube posted alternative ending. Apparently if you got a "higher" rating you had much more explained to you. Which is kind of sucky, since you can only get that high rating from scimping on exploration and save points (which most first time players wouldn't likely do).

I wish this had more RPG elements in it -- like Vampire: Bloodlines or Deus Ex. I don't see why they even bothered licensing the RPG from Chaosum if they ended up ditching all RPG gameplay. Still, I'd say its a worthwhile pick-up for Lovecraft fans -- what it does best is simulate the horror elements and do a really great Lovecraft adaptation.
Stray13
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

sweet fucking ass crackers that hotel escape was HARD.
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:54 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

Looking to pick this one up for the 360 soon