FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> TIPS AND TRICKS: Dead Rising
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

Please feel free to add anything of your own to the list. I will also be picking up the strategy. guide if I can find one and adding useful tid bits here as well

Take time for a little PP.
If you notice there are sometimes little PP symbols on various things like store signs, clocks and that giant Serve Bot in the toy store. If you take a close enough picture of this symbol and the item attached to it you will get a pretty large Prestige Point bonus (600+ points). I have found the PP symbol on the following things so far: the Serve Bot, a clock in the sunglass store, the female cardboard stand-up in front of the CD store, on one of the small round green Columbian Roastmasters signs, and one on the entrance to the movie theater at the end of the movie poster hallway.

Who said chips and orange juice don't mix?
There is a blender inside of the Columbian Roastmaster. If you mix 2 different foods you can create a concoction. Each mix has a different color and effect. So far I have only been able to make three.

Chips + Pie = Zombait (This will attract zombies to you even more than usual. I have tried throwing it at other zombies to see if I could use them as walking magnets but I do not think it worked.)

Pie + OJ = Untouchable (Here is the best thing you can make. Untouchable keeps zombies from biting you. They will still follow you and try to scratch or stab you, however.)

OJ + Chips = Nectar (I have no clue whatsoever what this does. I drank it but I did not see a noticeable effect.)

Bread + Chips = Spitfire (This will allow your normal spit to kill zombies with 1 good hit. The spit will also have a better range while this buff is active.)

Cooking Oil + Cooking Oil = Spitfire (This combo will also create the deadly spit formula.)

Comb your beard with this frying pan bitch!
If you see a frying pan then I suggest you grab it. Don't use it right away. Find yourself a nice stove and heat that bitch up. Once the pan is red hot it will stay that way until broken. Now, if you go up to a zombie and hold down the X button you will burn those suckers' faces off! This little move gives you 100 PP and kills them instantly.

There are some things I am not sure if I should list because they seem to be pretty obvious but I will make a quick run down.

Hands and hangers can be used to plug up zombie mouths. Unless you hit them again they should not be able to bite you.

When the battery on your camera dies you can recharge it at the camera shop.

You can cover up zombie heads with masks and buckets.

If you see a zombie bitch in undies or a nightie you get extra points for taking pictures of the tits and vaginal area. These count as "Erotica" shots and I wonder what Frank does with those when he gets home.

Some weapons don't do shit. If it's soft or plastic you won't be killing crap.

Cooking oil is best used in a large group. Zombies that slip on this slick substance once thrown on the ground count as "Outtake" photos.

Not all guitars are created equal. Flying V guitars, standard electrics and acoustics all have different swings.

Shoot the Sheriff. The fat cops may carry night sticks but a few also have pistols drawn. Once you knock the crap out of them they will drop their firearms.

Female zombies love to bite your cock.

All new updates I find will be posted below this text!

SUPER SPIT!
Chips + Bread = Spitfire (This will allow your normal spit to kill zombies with 1 good hit. The spit will also have a better range while this buff is active.)

Last edited by Kryten Syxx on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

Jesus Christ!

It sucks that it's over a month before this is released in Australia. Hopefully they'll put a PAL demo on Live Marketplace soon enough.
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:16 am  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

Great topic! Good shit!

Some goodies I have found / noticed

If you're out of weapons and go into "aim mode" you will spit on the zombies. Please know this doesn't do a god damned thing to them but fuck it made me laugh!

Location of the Kitana blade:

Jump over the railing by the juice display in the Colombian Roastmasters restaurant. You'll land on a red canopy. The sword is there. Happy slicing.

Haven't found the SMG yet. Anyone?

Let's keep this thread going. What else have you found or come across?
alien_nation
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:15 am  Reply with quote

if you want the smg when u start at the begining go to the kiddie something store on the first row near the stairs. climb the stairs until you half way jump on top of the kiddie something store, then climb to the ledge above, then go all the way to the end of the wall and it's there.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:46 am  Reply with quote

Good work!

Has anyone found anything that can be put in the microwave at Jill's Pizza? I tried the bread, pie and a zombie hand but none of them worked.

Last edited by Kryten Syxx on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PrairieGhost
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:23 am  Reply with quote

Me and a friend done the private voice chat thing while we played to give hints to each other. It was a fucking blast!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:29 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

Stickied because I know we're gonna need it!
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:38 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Uncle Creepy wrote:
Great topic! Good shit!

If you're out of weapons and go into "aim mode" you will spit on the zombies. Please know this doesn't do a god damned thing to them but fuck it made me laugh!

Jump over the railing by the juice display in the Colombian Roastmasters restaurant. You'll land on a red canopy. The sword is there. Happy slicing.

Ah. but spitting IS important.

According to an article I read over on Joystiq, there's a concoction you can make in the blender that makes your spit -deadly-.

That same article said the microwave is useless in the demo. In the game, you have to cook meat you find to avoid getting sick when you eat it, but there's no meat in the demo so there's no cooking.

I'd just like to say that I really, really, really want a 360 so I can play this sucker.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:24 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Uncle Creepy wrote:
Great topic! Good shit!

Ah. but spitting IS important.

According to an article I read over on Joystiq, there's a concoction you can make in the blender that makes your spit -deadly-.

That same article said the microwave is useless in the demo. In the game, you have to cook meat you find to avoid getting sick when you eat it, but there's no meat in the demo so there's no cooking.

I'd just like to say that I really, really, really want a 360 so I can play this sucker.

You are correct Mr. Dark. I found the mixture today to give you SPITFIRE! If you blend CHIPS and Bread you will get deadly spit. Make sure you have no weapons equiped, go into aim mode and spit. This new weapon has pretty good range and can usually kill a zombie with one hit!
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:55 am  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

Killin' a zombie with spit? Oh my!
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:48 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Uncle Creepy wrote:

That, alone, is a reason to drop the 4 bills to get a system to play this game.

Now, I just need the 4 bills.

Anyone have a fast car and a couple of ski masks handy?
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:03 am  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

I still want to know what goes in the microwave. Oh the possibilities.
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Uncle Creepy wrote:

That, alone, is a reason to drop the 4 bills to get a system to play this game.

Now, I just need the 4 bills.

Anyone have a fast car and a couple of ski masks handy?

I'm in Twisted Evil Laughing
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

From what I have been reading there is also a mixture called randomizer and another one for speed.

The speed formula needs the cooking oil and something else. I will try this evening.
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:13 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

Found this at Joystiq.com

It's a demo walkthrough! YAY! this should keep us busy until tomorrow!

Quote:

Intro:
Some people simply download this demo, play it for the 15 minutes and say "That sucked", then delete it from their hard drive. So I made this little guide to shine some light on all the things you can do in this demo, and also to help anyone who is looking for something. Enjoy.

Table of Contents:
I. Game Information
II. Basic Information
III. Controls
IV. Demo Map
V. Store Listing and Weapons / Foods by Store
VI. Other Weapon Locations
VII. Clothing
VIII. Foods and Ingrediants
IX. Blender Drinks
X. Books
XI. PP Bonuses
XII. PP Stickers
XIII. Ways the Demo Ends
XIV. Random Interesting Things
XV. Conclusion

II. Basic Information:

Starting Case: You start out on Case 1-2, which involves you searching for someone named Brad. Since this is a demo though, there is no way to complete the case. The only objective you have in this demo is to have fun.
Starting Level: 10
Starting Weapons: Sickle, Sledgehammer, Shotgun
Starting Location: Paradise Plaza
Time Limit: 15 Minutes
Types of Photos: Blue = Horror, Red = Brutality, Pink = Erotica, Orange = Drama, Green = Outtake, Grey = No Genre
Types of Items: Orange = Weapon, Green = Food, Pink = Book, White = Clothing

III. Controls

Basic Controls:

Left Stick = Move Frank West
Right Stick = Move Camera
Right Stick (Pressed In) = Reset Camera
A = Jump / Confirm
B = Action / Cancel
X = Attack / Use Item
Y = Call Out for Survivours
Right Button = Switch Items
Right Trigger = Aim View Mode
Left Button = Switch Items
Left Trigger = Camera View
Start = Pause Menu
Back = Not Used

Advanced Controls:

Hold X with a Weapon = Alternante Attack
Hold X without a Weapon = Ground Kick
Right Trigger + X = Throw Weapon / Item
Right Trigger + X (without a Weapon) = Spit
A then X = Jump Kick
Double Tap the Left Stick in a Direction = Dive/Roll in that Direction
Push the Left Stick Towards a Zombie + A = Zombie Ride

V. Store Listing and Weapons/Foods by Store:

P101 = Contemporary Reading
Cash Register

P102 = Child's Play
Cash Register, Rat Saucer (x3), Servbot Novelty Mask (x6), Stuffed Bear (x2), Toy Laser Sword (x3), Water Gun (x2)

P103 = Players
Cash Register, Cardboard Box, CDs (x11)

P104 = Jill's Sandwhiches
Cash Register (x3), Baguette (x4), Baking Ingrediants, Cleaver, Condiment (x2), Cooking Oil (x3), Frying Pan, Orange Juice (x2), Pie (x4), Potted Plant (x3), Stool (x11)

P105 = Entertainment Isle
Cash Register, Cardboard Box, CDs (x12), Sign

P106 = TuneMakers
Cash Register, Acoustic Guitar (x4), Bass Guitar (x4), Electric Guitar (x11)

P107 = Cantonbury's
Cash Register, Cardboard Box, Potted Plant (x4)

P108 = Bachman's Bookporium
Cash Register

P109 = Tyke n' Tots
Cash Register, Hanger (x3)

P110 = Ye Olde Toybox
Cash Register, Boomerang (x2), Toy Laser Sword (x3), Horse Novelty Mask (x5), Teddy Bear Novelty Mask (x3)

P111 = SporTrance, 1st Floor
Cash Register (x2), Cardboard Box, Hanger (x2)

P111 = SporTrance, 2nd Floor
Cash Register (x2), Baseball Bat, Bowling Ball, Golf Club (x2), Hanger (x6), Skateboard (x2)

P112 = Universe of Optics
Cash Register, Potted Plant (x3)

P113 = Kid's Choice Clothing
Cash Register (x2), Cardboard Box, Hanger (x2), Stuffed Bear

P114 = Josh's Jewels
Cash Register, Cardboard Box, Chair (x4), Gems (x15)

P115 = Cam's Camera
Cash Register

P116 = Shoekin's
Cash Register, Potted Plant (x2), Sign (x2)

P201 = Marriage Makers
Cash Register, Gems (x14)

P202 = Columbian Roastmasters
Cash Register, Can Drinks (x2), Chair (x24), Dishes, Frying Pan, Orange Juice (x2), Potted Plant (x2)

P203 = Tucci's of Rome
Cash Register, Cardboard Box, Hanger (x4)

P204 = Lady About Town
Cash Register, Handbag (x5)

VI. Other Weapon Locations

Weapons Found on Zombies:
Handgun, Hunk of Meat, Hunting Knife, Nightstick, Shopping Cart

Weapons/Food Found Outside of Stores:
Cardboard Box, Bench, Bowling Ball, Bucket, Garbage Can, Hunting Knife, Potted Plant, Push Broom, Push Broom Handle, Snack

Hidden Weapons (and How to Locate):
Katana - From the start of the demo, continue foward til you reach the first staircase on your right. The staircase is just outside of "Kid's Choice Clothing". Go up the staircase, and enter "Columbian Roastmasters", which should be on your left. Go towards the windows, and find the window that has an orange canopy outside of it. Jump out of that window, and onto the canopy, to find the Katana.

Submachine Gun - Just like with finding the Katana, from the start of the demo, continue foward til you reach the first staircase on your right. The staircase is just outside of "Kid's Choice Clothing". Go half-way up it til you see a blue balacony type platform that hangs just over the stores on your right side. Jump onto it and follow it towards the beginning of the demo to loacte the Submachine Gun.

VII. Clothing

P102 = Child's Play
Servbot Mask

P107 = Cantonbury's
Black Fedora Hat, Dress Shoes and Socks, White Dress Shirt with Black Tie and Black Pants

P109 = Tyke n' Tots
Kid's Green "Ratman" Shirt and shorts

P110 = Ye Olde Toybox
Teddy Bear Novelty Mask

P111 = SporTrance, 1st Floor
Athletic Shoes and High Socks

P112 = Universe of Optics
Sunglasses

P113 = Kid's Choice Clothing
Kid's Red Shirt and Shorts, Horse Novelty Mask

P116 = Shoekin's
Shoes

P203 = Tucci's of Rome
Sleeveless Shirt and Shorts

VIII. Foods and Ingrediants

Foods - Reaction:
Baguette - Heals One Box
Pie - Heals One Box
Orange Juice - Heals Four Boxes

Ingrediants for Blender:
Baguette
Baking Ingrediants
Cooking Oil
Condiment
Orange Juice
Pie
Snack
Other Jucies from Blender
IX. Blender Drinks

The Blender is located on the second floor in "Columbian Roastmasters". To place ingrediants/foods in it, have it equipped and hit B while near it.

Here's a list of drinks you can make, how to make they, and what they do:
Energizer (Green) - Randomizer + Zombie Bait - Supercharges you.
Nectar (Yellow) - Orange Juice + Orange Juice - Heals multiple boxes.
Quickstep (White) - Randomizer + Randomizer - Increases footspeed.
Randomizer (Black) - Baguette + Cooking Oil -Random effects, has been know to cause stomach pains.
Spitfire (Blue) - Snacks + Snacks - You're spit acts like a bullet, killing most zombies in one hit.
Untouchable (Red) - Orange Juice + Pie - Frank becomes invinceable (for a limited time)
Zombie Bait (Pink) - Pie + Snacks - Zombies become highly attracted to you.

There are multiple ways to make each drink, so have fun and expieriment with it!

X. Books

Books give you special abilities. But in order to have those abilities, the book must be in your inventory.

Bachman's Bookporium
Interior Design - Use "Interior Design" items three times longer.
Entertainment - Use "Entertainment" related items three times longer.
Horror Novel - Get a 25% boost to PP resulting from defeating zombies
Engineering - Use "Tools and Construction" related items three times longer.

Contemporary Reading
Weekly Photo Magazine - Get a visual cue to indicate prime photo timing.
Hobby - Use "Toy" items three times longer.
Camera - Get a 25% boost to PP resulting from photos
Sports - Use "Sporting Goods" items three times longer.

XI. PP Bonuses

"Servbot Head Realigned Bonus!" - 10,000 PP

"Used Stove Bonus!" - 2,000 PP

Zombie Kill Bonuses - 500 PP (For Each 50 Killed)
Directions: Kill 50 Zombies

Decapitaion with Sickle - 100 PP
Directions: Hit X with Sickle Equipped.

Scold a Zombie's Face - 100 PP
Directions: Hold X with Heated Frying Pan Equipped.

Throwing Knife Kill - 30 PP
Directions: Hold Right Trigger and Hit X with a Knife Equipped

Bare Fist Kill - 30 PP
Directions: Hit X with No Weapon Equipped.

There may be more, so keep looking!

XII. PP Stickers

Prestige Point Stickers are located thoughout the demo. If you find one and take a picture of it, you get a nice PP bonus in your picture.

Here are the locations of know PP Stickers:
1. The clock in "Universe of Optics"
2. On the happy mouth of the Servbot in "Child's Play"
3. "MovieLand" Sign
4. Cardboard standup of "Ratman" by "MovieLand"
5. On the lower abs of the cardboard standup outside of "Players"
6. "Kids Choice" Sign
7. "Tunemakers" Sign
8. On the the three teddy bears in "Ye Old Toybox"
9. On the clock with the bird on it, you start right next to it.
10. "Tyke n' Tots" Sign
11. "Jill's Sandwhiches" Sign

XIII. Ways the Demo Ends

Each ending shows a different movie, unless you die (#6). Go though the demo multiple times to see each one!

1. From the beginning of the demo, just turn around and head towards the hallway.
2. From the beginning of the demo, turn right and head towards the black door which you came in from.
3. Enter "MovieLand"
4. Exit to "Leisure Park".
5. Wait for the 15 minutes to expire.
6. Lose all your health.

XIV. Random Interesting Things

- If you fire a bullet at the hard hat of a zombie, the bullet will bounce off.
- In the full game, you have to place meat in the microwave so that you won't get sick from having raw meat. But since there is no meat in the demo, there's no use for the microwave in the demo.
- Take a nearby Frying Pan, place in on the oven, and take it off after a couple of second. The Frying Pan will become scolding hot.
- If you throw a bottle of cooking oil, it will splash on the ground. When a zombie walks into the puddle, he will trip.
- The hunk of meat attracks zombies.
- Cardboard boxes and garbage cans hold items. Throw them to break them open.
- You can shoot out the windows near the park entrance, and kill the zombies on the other side.