FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Hex on BBCAmerica
Mistress
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Why is no one watching this?

it's a pretty decent modern gothic mystery series. sure it was cancelled after 2 seasons so we'll only be able to see 20 episodes. it takes a while for you to get connected to the characters, but they are building the mystery as well as character.

it's got witches and ghosts (a lesbian ghost, very funny, played brilliantly by the actress), fallen angels, demons, scary things, funny things and ridiculous looking club wear.

if you have Comcast, check it out On Demand. it's on Thursday nights at 10.
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

I saw the two-hour premiere, it was okay, but it didn't leave me wanting to see more. There's one character that reminds me too much of Angel, even shedding a fake tear in one scene that wasn't very convincing acting wise. Hey if you're into the show more power to you.
JonDiamond
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Well I've seen two episodes of "Hex" now and I don't see myself watching it much longer. My main beef is the character development. They spend so much time on "character development" but its not quality time. They spend 2hrs doing what should only take 20min to do. To me it just seems like alot of walking and talking but the only thing you really learn is the basics and very trivial things about the characters, in other words the character development is quantity over quality.

The main character is also handling all of this supernatural stuff way too nonchalantly. She discovers that a fallen angel is after her, her best friend has died and came back as a ghost, and she has turned into a witch, yet she really isn't too shaken up by any of this. She was startled when she first used her power but the second time she done it on purpose.

I hate to nitpick here but I really think the 2hr premiere and this past 1hr episode could have been compressed into a 30min. episode and it would have went alot smoother. Just too much romance and drama for my taste I guess. I'm not really digging this for the same reason I don't watch "Passions" I suppose. You can throw all the witches and ghosts you want in there but its still a soap.

Who knows though, it may get better and start focusing on the supernatural story instead of all of the drama, romance, and teen angst.

Sucks that my first post on the new Dread Central is a negative rant huh? lol Not only that but its an actual copy/paste that I done on the THC board before they moved the TV section into the Happenings section, like that makes a lick of sense.
Mistress
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

I don't care if people don't like it. I'm just glad I found people who have seen it.

I was feeling very alone.

I don't watch much American television, so I don't know how it compares to what is now popular. it's my new guilty pleasure.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:30 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Mistress wrote:
it's my new guilty pleasure.

Your avatar is mine! *fans self*
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

The Woman In Black, good to see you around! Very Happy

Have a great day and I look forward to many discussions on here!

(I was a longtime poster and lurker at "The Other Place"; ask Uncle Creepy)
Mistress
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

The Woman In Black wrote:
Mistress wrote:
it's my new guilty pleasure.

Your avatar is mine! *fans self*

that's my obsession. he's the first guy I've fantasized about since Crypty and I got together.
ValFreya
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:01 am  Reply with quote

I just started watching Hex. I have Ep 2 Tivo'd and will be watching it tonight. Gonna give it a few eps before I pass judgement, but yeah.. the 2hr into was a bit on the tedious side. And I agree with WIB... "must fan self after looking at Mistress' avatar"
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

Hey!

Here are some of my thoughts.

I saw the whole first season, and I'm on the fence with this.

While it DOES have characterization, and lore, and exposition, it's oddly just an okay show.

There are many things to enjoy, but there also many things to dislike.

The progression of the series is very slow, and for a show that has a series of only five episodes, and lasted only two seasons, the pacing is next to nowhere.

Firstly, the main problem with this series, I'd love this show if Cassie wasn't so damn unlikable. She's bland, annoying, selfish, self-involved, dumb, and endlessly cruel to Thelma, her only link to the outside world and her powers. She's a boring heroine, and it's no real surprise that series two is retooled.

Secondly, the lesbian theme is repetitive with constant back and forths, and hints ad exhaustion.

Thirdly, the plot lines are so slow, the progression so sluggish, and the melodrama is endless.

Not to mention since I hear how the second series pans out, I really see this as futile experience, and the show's not good enough to warrant continuous watching for me. It's a shame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Soonertoad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Hey!

Here are some of my thoughts.

I saw the whole first season, and I'm on the fence with this.

While it DOES have characterization, and lore, and exposition, it's oddly just an okay show.

There are many things to enjoy, but there also many things to dislike.

The progression of the series is very slow, and for a show that has a series of only five episodes, and lasted only two seasons, the pacing is next to nowhere.

Firstly, the main problem with this series, I'd love this show if Cassie wasn't so damn unlikable. She's bland, annoying, selfish, self-involved, dumb, and endlessly cruel to Thelma, her only link to the outside world and her powers. She's a boring heroine, and it's no real surprise that series two is retooled.

Secondly, the lesbian theme is repetitive with constant back and forths, and hints ad exhaustion.

Thirdly, the plot lines are so slow, the progression so sluggish, and the melodrama is endless.

Not to mention since I hear how the second series pans out, I really see this as futile experience, and the show's not good enough to warrant continuous watching for me. It's a shame.

You nailed it perfectly. The production values are excellent, the actors are all competent, but the storyline is thin and move at a snails pace.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

Soonertoad wrote:
You nailed it perfectly. The production values are excellent, the actors are all competent, but the storyline is thin and move at a snails pace.

Thank you.

Yeah. I remember watching the series premiere, and by hour two I'm thinking "Is something going to happen already?" Granted, I love story, and I'm not about action if the characters are engaging but I found myself losing patience. I also found that a two hour premiere wasn't necessary.

If you took all the basic important aspects of the premiere and cut it down, you'd be left with one episode. Another could have been devoted to plot progression. Take out all the needless melodrama, and edit together all the important plot points, and you'd have a sleek premiere. The ending of the premiere was VERY sad, but it took so long to develop.

Not to mention so far Azazeal is really boring. Even though his role and importance is accentuated in the middle of the series, he still ends up being pretty boring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
horrorqueen85
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:18 am  Reply with quote

I'm watching this and also agree that it is the storyline so far that is very week..I do find myself liking the characters but it really needs to build up more...so far I'm sticking with it hoping it may get a better script but I do feel it really needs more...

Wish they were showing Dr Who!!
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:48 am  Reply with quote

I see the new Dr. Who on Scifi. Good show.
shadogrrrl
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

I watch Hex. I'm like it enough. not much better out there yet.
Demiurge
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

Hex is a little slow so far (I'm on episode 3), but I think Jemima Rooper (Thelma) is yummy.