FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Stephen King's 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes'
xfoley8
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Hell of a Band was pretty damn stupid. And it made zero sense. Were they in hell, limbo, her husband's own demented fantasy or what? Were these people evil? Or did they REALLY want them to stay? What was the deal with the vision Delany had about she and him being old people, and what about the fantasy of she finding the finger on the jukebox with the young man taunting her? I thought it was a dumb episode.

I was never a fan of the original story, either. The main characters were a complete rehash from the original Children of the Corn story, and, as Terminal says, the story itself is just dumb and pointless. Haven't watched the ep yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

However, I don't think the rest of the series was as much of a disgrace as it's being made out to be. Battleground was a lot of fun, End of the Whole Mess was well-acted and directed, and very sad (in a good way), and Fifth Quarter was very tense and well-acted; I cared about the main characters- even if the cereal box ending was hokey as hell, the rest of it was great, and the final final scene was beautifully subtle and sad in it's own right. The rest were very flawed, yes (and I'd agree the cancer story added to Road Virus was completely unnecessary), but I'd say only Crouch End was a total failure.

While the DC criticisms of the way some stories were re-written were mostly on-target, I think they were overly harsh. It's quite tricky to flesh out (or condense) these stories to run exactly in the hour (or 44-46 minute) format. You might argue it's better not to do them at all, but I would disagree- I'm always interested in the attempt to adapt them, even if it didn't work and I don't care about watching them again. But I found a number of these worth re-watching, and I'd like to see more
adaptations. Better yet would be to see some stories adapted to pay-cable, where the mood and tension isn't broken up by commercials.
Zuni
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:48 am  Reply with quote

I thought the John Boy Walton autopsy one was horrible!!