FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> e3 is dead.
alien_nation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:33 am  Reply with quote

E3 Cancelled?
The world's largest videogame convention may be no more.
by IGN Staff

July 30, 2006 - According to a report at Next-Generation, E3 2006 may have been the last Electronic Entertainment Expo ever, at least as we know it.

While no official announcement from the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) -- the foundation that organizes E3 -- has been made as of yet, the buzz around the videogame industry this weekend is that E3 is no more.

The reasons for the change are mostly economic. As Next-Generation reports, "the larger exhibitors have jointly decided that the costs of the event do not justify the returns, generally measured in media exposure." Larger companies such as Electronic Arts, Activision, and Midway have long organized their own individual gamer days for the press to see and play their upcoming titles. E3 is often much more hectic and overwhelming than individual events, so it looks like the larger publishers are questioning the value of displaying their wares on the jam-packed floors of the Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC).

There are rumblings that the trade show may go on in a different form. The new show would be vastly reduced in scope and scale, and move from its current location at the massive LACC to a smaller venue.

An official press announcement with more details is expected to hit the wire tomorrow. IGN will bring you more on this surprising story as we hear it.
Morbid
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:09 am  Reply with quote

Completely understandable. There is no need for it. Maybe 10 years ago when trade shows were the only way the public could get a good view of upcoming products, but not now.

Would have loved to gotten to one, though.
Fake Shemp
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

Eh, I heard this right after going to E3 last year. And there I was back there again this year. I do have a great time going, however, if this does happen I can't say I'll shed a tear.
Sirand
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:28 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The E3 shows are an absolute blast to attend. This would be a real tragedy.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

I've never been to one and I think it sucks...My favourite time of the year for games is E3...Especially in the magazines I read...That's a damn shame.
plagiarize
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:46 pm  Reply with quote
Verbal Kaleidoscope/Dread Central Staff

well it's being downsized, moved to june and made lower key and more exclusive, which is going to make it a lot harder for people like us to attend. i'm still going to try next year though.