Audiences Decide if I, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed at the Box Office

default-featured-image
Source Name:

Box Office Mojo

Source Url:

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3776&p=.htm

Post Thumb:

/stock/boxoffice.jpg

Audiences Decide if I, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed at the Box Office Is it really all that shocking audiences did not rush out to theaters this weekend to see Aaron Eckhart as a handsome, stick-fighting Frankenstein’s monster assisting shape-shifting gargoyles in their eternal struggle with demons in business suits?

Unlike a certain old school Toho movie, this Frankenstein did not conquer the world.

Despite having no new competition and the benefit of inflated 3D ticket prices, I, Frankenstein was such a bomb it couldn’t even overcome holdovers Ride Along, Lone Survivor, The Nut Job, Frozen, or Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit.

Lionsgate’s attempt to reanimate a new Underworld-esque franchise opened way down in 6th place with a mere $8.3 million. Not only is that considerably less than any of the previous Underworld movies (all of which have opened north of $20 million, shocking), that’s considerably less than the loftier opening weekends of such recent January b-movie offerings as Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters ($19 million) and Legion ($17 million). Even the more laughable Legend of Hercules 3D opened slightly stronger two weekends ago.

On the plus side, I read the movie opened well in Russia.

It also garnered a B Cinemascore. I found myself perplexed how this of all horror films could get a fairly decent grade from the typically fickle Cinemascore pollsters until Matt Fini astutely pointed out that if you were actually willing to pay good money to see I, Frankenstein on opening night, you probably got exactly what you expected.

Meanwhile, audiences decided to throw out the baby along with the bathwater when it came to Devil’s Due. Last weekend’s middling opening was followed by the usual week two death plunge: down to 10th place with less than $2.7 million. “Paranormal Maternity” will be lucky to eke out a little upwards of $15 million for its total run.

Horror returns to the big screen in two weeks with the tweener-centric Vampire Academy. Will it sink its fangs into audiences or get staked at the box office like so many other young adult adaptations Hollywood hopes will become the next Twilight?

VISIT THE EVILSHOP @ AMAZON!
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Tell us who earned your cash in the comments section below.

Image Type 1:

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized:Uncategorized