Hammer Offers Up Details on Upcoming Abominable Snowman Flick; Ben Wheatley for Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter?

default-featured-image
Source Name:

Empire Online

Source Url:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=39455

Post Thumb:

/nov13/abominable-snowman-s.jpg

Hammer Offers Up Details on Upcoming Abominable Snowman Flick; Ben Wheatley for Captain Kronos?Last week we learned that Hammer Films is prepping a modern day take on their 1957 film The Abominable Snowman, which they described in a press release as a modern twist on the original film.

So is it a remake? A reimagining? A reboot?! I turn the tables over to Hammer for more of an explanation!

Hammer’s CEO Simon Oakes and producer Ben Holden opened up about the film with Empire, revealing details about what we can expect from it. “We’re not remaking the Val Guest film,” says Holden. “We’re starting again from scratch, but the conversation began because that creature or that myth is part of the Hammer library or lexicon, and we wanted to develop something around it.”

Our version of The Abominable Snowman will have something of the uncanny about it,” continues Oakes, “and it’ll have the mythology and all the big [original writer] Nigel Kneale ideas of man and beast and nature. It won’t be heavily special effects-driven. It’ll align itself with the characters and the threat.

The script is being penned by John Croker (The Woman in Black: Angel of Death) and Matthew Read (Hammer of the Gods) and will center around a scientific expedition’s illegal ascent up an unclimbed peak of one of the world’s most formidable mountains, who accidentally awaken an ancient creature that could spell a certain end for them all.

In other news, another title from the depths of Hammer that’s often mentioned in terms of a revival is Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter.

The thing about Kronos is that it’s one of those things where we need to find a way in,” Oakes explains. “Brian Clemens wrote the first one saying he wanted to bring a modern take to the idea of the vampire hunter, and yet Kronos still wears tights! But the ambition and imagination at work in that film were what people responded to. People at Comic-Con always ask if we’re doing a new one, and I always say, ‘Yeah, we’re doing Kronos!’ and the blogosphere goes wild. So if we can find the right writer to reimagine it, then that’s what we’ll do. I’ve offered it to Ben Wheatley!” Oakes reveals. “I’ve told him Kronos is his whenever he wants it. You can put that in print! That might get him off his arse! [laughs] I’m a huge fan of Ben’s. I told him, ‘Whenever you want Kronos, it’s yours, mate. Just get back to me.’ And he never got back to me! So we’ll shame him in print into doing it now!

More details as they stomp our way!

The Abominable Snowman

VISIT THE EVILSHOP @ AMAZON!
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Freeze with giants in the comments section below!

Image Type 1:

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized:Uncategorized