Are Portions of Gareth Edwards’ Godzilla Going to Be Set in 1954?

default-featured-image
Post Thumb:

/jul13/godzilla-poster-s.jpg

Are Portions of Gareth Edwards’ Godzilla Going to Be Set in 1954?Godzilla this, Godzilla that. While I don’t consider myself the biggest fan of the radiation-spewing kaiju (I do love the old school NES game, though), the constant teasing of Godzilla in Gareth Edwards’ forthcoming 2014 adaptation has me beyond intrigued.

The other day the cover of a tie-in book called “Godzilla: With Light and Sound,” was released, with many movie sites speculating as to whether or not it was the final design of the iconic creature we will see in 2014. Today, however, it was learned that via an interview with cinematographer Seamus McGarvey on Pushing Pixels that portions of the upcoming film will be set in 1954.

“PP: Shooting on film had all the imperfections of the analog medium, from the lens distortion to all the mechanical parts to the grain of the film itself, while capturing on digital sensors is much more exact and, to a certain degree, lifelessly perfect. Do you see it as a certain magic that will be gone from the moviegoing experience?

Seamus: It is, and I did like those aberrations. We can still preserve this with lenses, for instance, that are now more vital as we put them in front of the sensor. On “Godzilla” I used the old C series anamorphic lenses, and for the section in 1954 I used really old vintage lenses from the early 1960s. They took the edge off of the very vivid, sharp sensors, and gave it a distant period feel. That’s exciting as glass is coming back in terms of lending difference to each project that we do. It’s nice to be able to interfere with image, to sort of mess it up a bit.”

Now, as someone who hasn’t watched a Godzilla movie since I was…I don’t know, ten (I’m 31 now), I had to look up the significance of the date (it was the year the original Godzilla was released). I was then chastised by Uncle Creepy for not knowing this, and now I feel obligated to have a Godzilla marathon to atone for my sins.

Gareth Edwards directs the film from a screenplay by Max Borenstein, Frank Darabont, and Dave Callaham. Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni produce with Mary Parent and Brian Rogers. Alex Garcia and Patricia Whitcher serve as executive producers alongside Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira.

A presentation of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, Godzilla will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, except in Japan, where it will be distributed by Toho Co., Ltd. Legendary Pictures is a division of Legendary Entertainment.

Slated to open on May 16, 2014, the film is expected to be presented in 3D.

Godzilla

VISIT THE EVILSHOP @ AMAZON!
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Stomp around in the comments section below!

Image Type 1:

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized:Uncategorized