bart138
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

It's John McLaughlin. Obviously.
dez
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:32 pm  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
dez wrote:
Wait... you guys are talking about the guitarist from The Scorpions?

Heh.

Yeah.

Alright.

Did you know that Michael Schenker was the original lead guitarist for Scorpions (on their first record Lonesome Crow)? You know who Schenker is right? You've heard UFo and MSG?
Or that Ulrich Roth, who followed him, basically invented neoclassical rock guitar?

This was in the 70s on record like Fly To The Rainbow, Taken By Force, In Trance, Virgin Killer & Tokyo Tapes.

They were not the pop band that became huge in the 1980s with Matthias Jabs playing lead guitar (who is a great player, just not a hugely original or influential one). Listen to some of the records mentioned above- and, again, the songs Sails of Charon and Catch Your Train in particular - then tell me how good Page is.

Thing is, I don't even give a shit about that particular strain of metal. If I get the chance, I may check it out, but I'm not going to go out of my way.

I never quite get musicians - or music fans in general - who are that close minded. You can always learn something new and if you've never heard something how can it be dismissed so easily?

It's like people who mocked/picketed, say, The Last Temptation of Christ months before it was even released. Usually the mark of the narrow- minded to dismiss something without firsthand knowledge of it.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:34 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

I'm not going to search the shit out, no. Sorry. Not worth the effort. I've heard enough big-hair flying V shit to know it's not my cup of tea.
bart138
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

The Butcher wrote:
You would be surprised at the times you THINK you are listening to Page play on those albums and it's actually not him. This is fact. I was lucky enough to get to know Bonzo's old tech (my drummer, also pretty well known got an old Bonham snare from him after he saw my drummers other band which was doing a Zep trib called Custard Pie here in the bay area)

I don't buy this. Page was a session man himself for countless 60's acts, and this sounds like a derivation of the rumor that he played all the solos on the first Kinks album since Dave Davies couldn't play what he wrote (he actually did play on the album, but not the solos). I also don't really see how Ocheltree would be especially knowledgable about what Page did and did not play.
dez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:43 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not going to search the shit out, no. Sorry. Not worth the effort. I've heard enough big-hair flying V shit to know it's not my cup of tea.

Uli Roth used a early -mid 70s Strat in his Scorpions days (1973-1978), not a flying V - which at the time was associated with Albert King and Lonnie Mack - not metal - though Michael Schenker used Vs in UFO and Rudolph Shenker - Scorpions rhythm guitarist has used Vs his entire career.

Roth's primary rock influence - in fashion and music - was Jimi Hendrix. So much so that he dated Monica Danneman - Hendrix' last girlfriend. She did artwork for several of his solo records.

There was no "big-hair" bands in those days. That was early 80s and up.

Scorpions of the 80s were nothing like the psychedelic hard rock band they were in the mid 70s. And there are very few players - in any genre and style - with the ability and uniquness of Uli Roth.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:32 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

dez wrote:

Uli Roth used a early -mid 70s Strat in his Scorpions days (1973-1978), not a flying V - which at the time was associated with Albert King and Lonnie Mack - not metal - though Michael Schenker used Vs in UFO and Rudolph Shenker - Scorpions rhythm guitarist has used Vs his entire career.

Roth's primary rock influence - in fashion and music - was Jimi Hendrix. So much so that he dated Monica Danneman - Hendrix' last girlfriend. She did artwork for several of his solo records.

Scorpions of the 80s were nothing like the psychedelic hard rock band they were in the mid 70s. And there are very few players - in any genre and style - with the ability and uniquness of Uli Roth.

Alright, I'll check out some of the early Scorpions output when I get the chance. You've sold me.

The big hair, flying V comment was a general expression of disdain for most forms of metal, not a specific stab at the scorpions. I grew up on punk rock, man. Black Flag, The Minutemen... the high flying classically influenced fretboard theatrics so many other people think are the end all be all of guitar playing don't really appeal to me. All I smell is cheese and hand lotion... y'know, 'cuz all folks like Yngwie and Vai do is stroke themselves, album after album. I want my rock & roll dirty, crunchy, boozy, and laced with cracks, pops, snaps... you get the idea.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:55 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Actually bro listen to me...I do NOT like "shredder" players either. Can't stand Yngwie, Vai bores me most of the time even though he IS technically brilliant...I am way way waaay more into feel and a good hook. CHEAP TRICK and SABBATH do more for me than flashy neckboard acrobatics.

That said, ULI ROTH actually has feeling and "sais something" with his playing. The notes aren't to show off, each one is expressive. He slows it waaay down at times too, and sometimes didn't take a solo at all unless the song called for it. Highly reccomended song that I think you can relate to musically would be "Sun In My Hand" from IN TRANCE.

And yeah man make no mistake Page is a God. But just one of many!
dez
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:57 pm  Reply with quote

dez wrote:

Alright, I'll check out some of the early Scorpions output when I get the chance. You've sold me.

The big hair, flying V comment was a general expression of disdain for most forms of metal, not a specific stab at the scorpions. I grew up on punk rock, man. Black Flag, The Minutemen... the high flying classically influenced fretboard theatrics so many other people think are the end all be all of guitar playing don't really appeal to me. All I smell is cheese and hand lotion... y'know, 'cuz all folks like Yngwie and Vai do is stroke themselves, album after album. I want my rock & roll dirty, crunchy, boozy, and laced with cracks, pops, snaps... you get the idea.

When I was a kid in the early 80s I grew up on Black Flag, Johnny Thunders, Misfits, Dead Boys, Germs, Motorhead,etc. But there was nothing wrong with being into other stuff , too. I remember being at a Black Flag gig when Greg Ginn was doing a soundcheck. He was doing all this Van Halen stuff and it sounded incredible. Really good musicians rarely limit what they listen to and can play.

I'm not a huge Yngwie fan but the guy does play exceptionally raw live - he's sloppy, loud and really distorted. But his slop is still kinda technically awesome because the guy has put alot of time into his craft. I'm just not a fan of his songs. Vai is a little too processed - I'd love to hear him just plug a 335 into a Bassman and let it rip.

At this point I'd rather listen to 50s r&r - Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly, early Elvis, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Billy Lee Riley, Wanda jackson, Rock n Roll Trio,Ritchie Valens, etc. The players in those bands could really play - and play raw and rude. But they knew their shit. Cliff Gallup, Tommy Alsup, Scotty Moore, Roland Janes, Joe Maphis, Paul Burlison... alot of people think 50s r&r was simple and garage rock like. It became that in the 60s but those 50s guys came out of playing jazz, country, western swing, blues... when they invented rock n roll it was only three chords, maybe 4, but what they did in there was some pretty cool, raw and sophisticated shit.
JasonX
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

Greatest guitarist is hard to choose for me. I personally think Paul Gilbert is one on the greatest and it's not because he can play a million notes in a second. If anyone has heard his solo stuff might get what i'm saying.

Then there is David Gilmour.
slayer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

Best of all time........needs reasons why.This is always subjective
on personal taste and other facts to support it.

are we talking......technical?....inspirational?......compositional?

Im going to approach it this way with a few questions.
What do most people think of when they see an electric guitar?
A.someone ripping blues licks or fingerstyle or powerchords?
I think most people envision a bluesy improv.
If thats the case then you only need to find the most important
figure that inspired legends to carry the torch.
That my freinds would be .......robert johnson!
If its classical.....probably andres segovia.
power chords...probably the ramones.
My personal choice is joe satriani simply because all the pros name
him as the man nobody has touched since surfing with the alien
made instrumental guitar a top 40 accomplishment.
Ive seen him live 3 times and have tried to emulate his style for 20 years.
I wouldnt still be playing guitar without him.
His playing can be technically jaw dropping but not at the expense
of great voice like melodies and musical direction.All his stuff
has a little something unique from song to song and few guitarists
win a duel with him on stage.....nuff said!
Morbid
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Here is Sails of Charon that keeps getting referenced from my Scorpions Gold Remastered Set.

Click here to watch Sails-of-Charon---Scorpions

I am not a Scorpions fan at all, especially from the early-eighties onward, but Uli Roth would rank in my top 10 of all-time greatest guitar players. Also, for anyone who is a fan of the Scorpions and did not realize that a remastered recordings had been released recently:

Scorpions - Gold [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]

Artist: Scorpions
Release Date: April 25, 2006
Number of Discs: NA
Label: Hip-O Records

It is a two-disc set that does a pretty decent job covering their entire career. Sounds great as well.
Desdinova
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:50 pm  Reply with quote

Steve Vai can suck an exhaust pipe. .

And that's why Vai's so great, he can suck an exhaust pipe and still play his seven-string to the pwnage of every other player. Smile

If you have a problem with metal, how about a blues guitarist who can play circles around Page: Stevie Ray Vaughn.

In general, let's not forget: Joe Satriani; Eric Johnson; Buck Dharma (Blue Oyster Cult); Alex Lifeson (Rush), . . . .

Let the arguing continue. Very Happy