FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> my FUCK HBO rant
DoNNie DaRKo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:30 am  Reply with quote

spoilers for Carnivale and possibly Deadwood ahead so be warned:

i know im probably a little behind the boat on this since im sure this was talked about by the regular viewers of Carnivale when it was on.. but i never watched the show when it was on. It peaked my interest once i started hearing more and more about it which unfortunately was mainly when it was all over. So a month ago i picked up Season 1 for 50 bucks at a used dvd place and watched it all in 2 nights. .. INSTANT ADDICTION. Couldnt wait until July 18th so I could pick up Season 2... but KNOWING that no matter how it ended.. i knew that would be the last Carnivale episode EVER. So I picked up Season 2 this past Tuesday and it is now Thursday night and I just finished the last episode... and all of a sudden i was swept over by great ANGER. It was easily one of the BEST Season/Series finales i've ever seen... i was hooked to the tv screen for all 52 minutes. ... it ties up a lot... but NEW things are opened .. that will NEVER be given a conclusion. Sofie is now evil.. and has obviously resurrected Brother Justin. Jonesy is possibly dead (which frustrates me to no end)...but we have NO idea what the creators had in store for a THIRD season which they were expecting to happen. MAYBE Jonesy is alive... MAYBE Ben is dead.. WHO FUCKING KNOWS!! There is more story to tell but we will never know because why? BECAUSE HBO HAS RAPED US. They got us hooked on a show.. a show that viewers followed and talked about for 24 episodes... falling in love with the characters... sitting on the edge of our seats wanting to know what will happen next... and then they just pull the carpet out from under our feet! YOU CANT JUST GET US TO FOLLOW A SHOW AND IT'S STORYLINE AND THEN JUST STOP!! GIVE US A CONCLUSION. I guess if you want, you can call the finale of Season 2 a conclusion but the creators DID NOT know it was going to be the last season so therefore ..it is not THEIR conclusion. THERES MORE!

...and then there's DEADWOOD... Deadwood is quite possibly what i would consider the greatest show i've ever seen. I've been addicted to it since the first episode like i've never been addicted to a show. It wins awards... Ian McShane has won for it... so they hype the 3rd Season and then BEFORE it even starts they announce... NO MORE DEADWOOD after Season 3!! Once again, the creators did not know this was going to be IT... so in about a month .. there will be NO conclusion to a show i've devoted 3 years to watching. It shows that HBO cares about 1 thing.... THE $$$. Fuck the viewers who watch us. Fuck the people who make us our money. I've read lettter after letter released by different cast members who are completely outraged at HBo including W. Earl Brown who cant believe that HBO is just taking a huge pile of shit on all of us fans. There has been talk about giving us 2 2-hour long movies to tie up the story but i've read that even the cast doubts that this will actually happen.. but if HBO does grow balls and a spine and gives us our conclusion to Deadwood.. then we better be getting something of the same nature for Carnivale.

If you are reading this and you dont like either of these shows... imagine YOUR "addiction" shows. What if LOST started slipping in rating and they pulled it with all of your favorite castaways STILL stuck on the island... with NOTHING answered.. and you will NEVER find out what exactly the island IS.. EVER... and look at FIREFLY.. another great show given no conclusion..but luckily Universal had the balls to at least give us a movie to tie things up. My parents were big fans of Invasion and they sat in front of the TV EVERY night it was on...they were hooked. Then the season finale was on..which ended on a cliffhanger.. and i had to tell them.. well its cancelled so you will NEVER find out what happens. Its aggravating to give so much time and thought to a show.. and then like Keyser Soze.. POOF...ITS GONE.. and you have more questions then when you began.

if yuo havent noticed this is just a rant.. i think HBO is a giant pile of shit and once Deadwood is over.. i will never devote any time to one of their shows again.... because im just gonna end up getting fucked in the ass again.

Its kinda funny...as i type this im watching a Q and A with the cast and creators of Carnivale (an extra on the DVD) and they are right now..praising HBO saying they had the guts to put this show on and are willing to see it to the very end. ..and thats pretty much a quote.... i guess the fans werent the only ones raped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lunablix
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:53 am  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

My mother and I were both upset when we heard that Carnivale was cancelled. It was a great show. Did HBO give any reasons as to why they pulled the show? It would be great if they would make a movie to conclude Carnivale. I guess we'll see if that will ever occur.
gprime
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:35 am  Reply with quote

I just wish they hadn't cancelled Da Ali G Show and Curb Your Enthusiasm (though a return is rumored).
Krugrsgrl
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:50 am  Reply with quote

Jesus fucking christ this is bullshit. I didn't even know Curb and Ali G were cancelled? Are u sure about those 2?

What the fuck is wrong w/ HBO?? They've forgotten these are all hits?? What in the fuck is going on here???

brainee
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:35 am  Reply with quote

Lunablix wrote:
Did HBO give any reasons as to why they pulled the show?

I thought the official line was that it just cost too much money (being a period piece). Though the logic in that was tested given that one of the first original series to start after Carnivale ended was Rome, a gigantically expensive period piece.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:57 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

I'm with you, Donnie. The day I heard HBO was cancelling Carnivale was a dark day indeed. But, hey, now we can all write our own endings for our favorite characters.
Jack19
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

The tragic fate of Deadwood has me pissed as hell. I would agree that it is possiby the best show of all time. I guess they are at least going to do a couple TV movies, but I would much rather see it end the way it was originally planned. Besides, I though Deadwood had pretty high rateings?
Lunablix
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:00 pm  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

The Woman In Black wrote:
I'm with you, Donnie. The day I heard HBO was cancelling Carnivale was a dark day indeed. But, hey, now we can all write our own endings for our favorite characters.

I was thinking the same thing.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:12 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I haven't really ever watched Carnivale, although I want to very much.

But I fucking LOVE Deadwood. I don't get the 'oops, no 4th season!' bullshit at ALL, considering that series creator David Milch has said he would've ended it at that point anyway. So, moneywise, they only had one more year to think about that.

Stupid. And aggravating.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
gprime
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:23 am  Reply with quote

Krugrsgrl wrote:
Jesus fucking christ this is bullshit. I didn't even know Curb and Ali G were cancelled? Are u sure about those 2?

What the fuck is wrong w/ HBO?? They've forgotten these are all hits?? What in the fuck is going on here???

Ali G has not be renewed by HBO, as stated on their official website. And CYE is unlikely to return, though it is possible, depending upon whether Larry David decides he has enough material to put it together.
lostphrack
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

gprime wrote:
Ali G has not be renewed by HBO, as stated on their official website. And CYE is unlikely to return, though it is possible, depending upon whether Larry David decides he has enough material to put it together.

On the upside then, at least CYE would end because the creator and star doesn't want to continue it. That's better than just having the plug pulled on your after two or more seasons. Shame about Ali G though, just got back into that thanks to On Demand.

I'm betting that Rome will follow in Carnivale's and Deadwood's footsteps. All three were good but cost a fortune to make. On the other hand, now that I think about it, Rome does have the addition of BBC backing so I suppose it might hang around a bit longer than two seasons.

But yeah, I'm with everyone else in being rip shit about these things getting axed. It seems pretty common too, so you'd think they could at least let the cast and crew know ahead of time that it'll probably only stick around for two seasons. At least then they could try and plot it out accordingly.

Yeesh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger